The Student Room Group

What was your jump from a levels to uni like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
I swear if you had done my degree, you would have failed to get a third, let alone a 2.1 that's how easy it was. Very VERY difficult! (ps i did sociology with theatre studies at derby)

And you know how good (or badly) I'd do because?
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
And you know how good (or badly) I'd do because?

Because doing an arts degree, and humanities like i have done, takes a lot more than a smug 'know it all' 'oh yes i'm a scientist therefore i am by default better than the rest of you' attitude i'm afraid.

I did lots of reading, and attended virtually 100% of my lectures, and i still struggled to get a 2.1 . Please stop your attitude okay? Thanks!
Original post by Themini
Most employers disagree with your point when they look at CVS and qualifications of possible candidates, there are a lot of vocational degrees but some are just useless in the real world amongst main-stream jobs. Unless you have a niche well-paid job lined up, GLHF.

Where does a psychology student fit in the general grand scheme of things?
Nationwide? - No..What if you're a business/ finance student? YES What if you did maths? Yes What if you did a straight business management course- bog standard- YES. What if you did something really vocational like media studies or social media or art and design? - YES YES YES - perfect for marketing dept.
Honda?- No - Engineering degree? Yes, Business degree- Yes Art degree? - YES marketing dept. They accept people with strong performances in Bio/Chem degrees into their graduate schemes.
The council? - No - Business? Public services? Transport? Art degree?management? - YES YES YES
The NHS?- No..don't be silly they can barely afford to pay qualified doctors. Chemistry degree? Yes Biology degree- Yes, Medicine degree? Obviously yes..
The police?- Dream on..unless you've got 20 years experience in the force and criminology. Business student? Yes, engineer? Yes Biology degree? Yes- forensics dept
Supermarket? Yes why not..there are plenty of jobs going.

'Most employers'? Sounds convincing.

Anyone with a genuine passion for psychology wouldn't be deterred by someone else's opinion. With experience, all is possible
It won't. Spend your summer enjoying your free time and a life free of stress.

why wont it
where are you studying mecheng?
Because doing an arts degree, and humanities like i have done, takes a lot more than a smug 'know it all' 'oh yes i'm a scientist therefore i am by default better than the rest of you' attitude i'm afraid.

I did lots of reading, and attended virtually 100% of my lectures, and i still struggled to get a 2.1 . Please stop your attitude okay? Thanks!

Oh you see the ignorance too?

Lmao ok? You probably think that my degree is just learning formulae. You're another one that's offended but I haven't said anything inflammatory. I did an essay subject at A level and got an A*... so I'm sure that I'll get better than a third in your sociology degree.
Original post by cherryred90s
'Most employers'? Sounds convincing.

Anyone with a genuine passion for psychology wouldn't be deterred by someone else's opinion. With experience, all is possible

people who insult humanities in favour of STEM degrees are just doing it for self-gratification. it means nothing; just ignore them. you don't need to justify your career path to people on the internet
Original post by tanyapotter
why wont it
where are you studying mecheng?

Because the mechanics you see would be far more difficult than anything in a levels and the miniscule advantage doing M3 and M4 would give isn't worth it because they're topical advantages and doesn't give the thinking required to solve engineering problems.
Because the mechanics you see would be far more difficult than anything in a levels and the miniscule advantage doing M3 and M4 would give isn't worth it because they're topical advantages and doesn't give the thinking required to solve engineering problems.

ah, okay. so in your opinion, do a-level maths, further maths and physics not sufficiently prepare you for a mechanical engineering degree? i'm less worried about the workload than i am about actually being able to gain conceptual clarity with all the tricky mechanics, but at least it's not a maths degree - it can't be harder than a maths degree, surely?
brutal, especially semester II
Lmao ok? You probably think that my degree is just learning formulae. You're another one that's offended but I haven't said anything inflammatory. I did an essay subject at A level and got an A*... so I'm sure that I'll get better than a third in your sociology degree.

i did a sociology with theatre studies degree, and you have to get on and apply yourself to not just a range of topics from shakespeare to grotowski, from gramsci to Marx. And yes I also did a statistics unit for one of the modules, which i got an ace for.

If anything, that was really easy for me. This so called pure science just requires a good memorization and application facility, which anyone who attends the lectures and applies themselves to revision can ace without a problem.

Humanities and theatre however required a number of live group presentations, and individual ones, as well as difficult unseen exams as well as heavy coursework where extra reading is essential. I literally did an hours worth of reading a night, for five years, more at some times, and i still only scraped a 2.1 You also have to have a good relationship with the lecturers. Thanks again.
Great this was an interesting thread then it turned into the usual STEM elite cool kids vs humanity/social sciences debate as per ****ing usual......................
Original post by tanyapotter
ah, okay. so in your opinion, do a-level maths, further maths and physics not sufficiently prepare you for a mechanical engineering degree? i'm less worried about the workload than i am about actually being able to gain conceptual clarity with all the tricky mechanics, but at least it's not a maths degree - it can't be harder than a maths degree, surely?

Well I've never done a maths degree so I can't say what's harder. Further maths would be the most useful IMO but most places don't have it as a requirement just as a suggestion. The concepts aren't that difficult, unless it's an electrical module, solving the mechanics problems themselves are tricky and it requires very peripheral topics/tricks you may or may not have learnt/forgotten in a level maths.
Describe your experience.

A-levels to first year at uni wasn't so hard, the jump from first year to second year was harder for me than a jump from GCSE straight to A-Level (skipping AS)
i did a sociology with theatre studies degree, and you have to get on and apply yourself to not just a range of topics from shakespeare to grotowski, from gramsci to Marx. And yes I also did a statistics unit for one of the modules, which i got an ace for.

If anything, that was really easy for me. This so called pure science just requires a good memorization and application facility, which anyone who attends the lectures and applies themselves to revision can ace without a problem.

Humanities and theatre however required a number of live group presentations, and individual ones, as well as difficult unseen exams as well as heavy coursework where extra reading is essential. I literally did an hours worth of reading a night, for five years, more at some times, and i still only scraped a 2.1 You also have to have a good relationship with the lecturers. Thanks again.

I'm doing an engineering degree. If you memorise stuff you'd fail right out of university, you wouldn't graduate. You're making a lot of assumptions on things you know nothing about.
Statistcs isn't that hard compared to any of my modules...I've had presentations in my degree as well, that's not something exclusive to humanities.

You're really out of place to try and say that I would be rubbish at a degree you're doing because I'm doing a STEM degree. It's not my fault you could barely get a 2.1.
Social science vs natural science. It's that simple. Social sciences aren't real sciences.
Reply 76
I thought it was fine, but tbh could be looking at a 2:1 in first year rather than a 1st, which, given that on this course it seems (I dunno the stats) basically everyone gets a 1st in first year as it's easy, is not great; I think I've underestimated the exams a bit.
I'm doing an engineering degree. If you memorise stuff you'd fail right out of university, you wouldn't graduate. You're making a lot of assumptions on things you know nothing about.
Statistcs isn't that hard compared to any of my modules...I've had presentations in my degree as well, that's not something exclusive to humanities.

You're really out of place to try and say that I would be rubbish at a degree you're doing because I'm doing a STEM degree. It's not my fault you could barely get a 2.1.

i also have mental health difficulties, and my mode average grade was a third, mainly because the lecturers didn't like me/understand/appreciate me. Good luck. I am actually considering putting a doctorate application for january, at a top london university. Do you think you could do this?
Original post by Inexorably
Great this was an interesting thread then it turned into the usual STEM elite cool kids vs humanity/social sciences debate as per ****ing usual......................

You can't deny that STEM is objectively more difficult, though?
Reply 79
^^ This guy gets it. :smile: That's what I plan on doing.

Quick Reply

Latest