The Student Room Group

What was your jump from a levels to uni like?

Describe your experience.

Scroll to see replies

Me about to drown in A levels.

In my jump my arms were positioned behind me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
Describe your experience.

Not too bad. They work you in through the years!
More traumatic than my parent's divorce 😂😂
Reply 4
I've almost finished my 1st year of uni and I've found it to be considerably easier than A-levels were.
Reply 5
Uni easier. More continual assessment and coursework assessment which suits my learning style. Exams, because they are set by the lecturers rather than a third party are more predictable. I did a science degree. Workload at times was heavy but never overwhelming. Undoubtedly A level was my toughest academic experience.
Original post by eden3
I've almost finished my 1st year of uni and I've found it to be considerably easier than A-levels were.

What degree and which a levels ?
Original post by alexschmalex
More traumatic than my parent's divorce 😂😂

Lmao more traumatic than my father's death :rofl:
I found the jump from 1st to 2nd year university to be a greater challenge. 1st year you can do well by largely regurgitating lecture material. Throw in predominantly multiple choice exams, and it's no more challenging than further education.

From 2nd year onwards, there is an emphasis on additional reading and much more independent study.
Reply 9
What degree and which a levels ?

A-levels: Maths, Physics & Biology.

Doing Psychology although I've heard there's a huge jump between 1st and 2nd year - particularly for the stats module.

One of the hardest aspects of Psychology is the sh*tload to memorise, as well as the statistics module. Those are the only things that have really challenged me.
Original post by Zarek
Uni easier. More continual assessment and coursework assessment which suits my learning style. Exams, because they are set by the lecturers rather than a third party are more predictable. I did a science degree. Workload at times was heavy but never overwhelming. Undoubtedly A level was my toughest academic experience.

Strange. I hate continous assessment and like big flame hard year end exams. Uni has been my bane.
Original post by eden3
A-levels: Maths, Physics & Biology.

Doing Psychology although I've heard there's a huge jump between 1st and 2nd year - particularly for the stats module.

One of the hardest aspects of Psychology is the sh*tload to memorise, as well as the statistics module. Those are the only things that have really challenged me.

Well yeah it's obvious you'd find a levels harder because they're real sciences whereas psychology isn't, sorry to say. The stats may be a little challenging but it isn't that bad.
Original post by Quantex
I found the jump from 1st to 2nd year university to be a greater challenge. 1st year you can do well by largely regurgitating lecture material. Throw in predominantly multiple choice exams, and it's no more challenging than further education.

From 2nd year onwards, there is an emphasis on additional reading and much more independent study.

I've never had multiple choice exams while at uni in year 1, maybe 1 mc exam.
Reply 13
Well yeah it's obvious you'd find a levels harder because they're real sciences whereas psychology isn't, sorry to say. The stats may be a little challenging but it isn't that bad.

:lol: :lol: I'm not offended. A lot of what we do is science though, we have a biological module too.

What do you mean the stats isn't that bad? Do you study psychology yourself?
Original post by eden3
:lol: :lol: I'm not offended. A lot of what we do is science though, we have a biological module too.

What do you mean the stats isn't that bad? Do you study psychology yourself?

Stats doesn't change from degree to degree. It's the same theories and methods.
Reply 15

Lol okay.

What do you study and what were your A-levels? :smile:

What are you studying at uni?
Original post by cherryred90s
What are you studying at uni?

Mech eng

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eden3
Lol okay.

What do you study and what were your A-levels? :smile:

Maths chem physics and general studies

Mech eng degree

So then how would you know anything about a psychology degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending