The Student Room Group

How to get in touch with my more Pakistani side?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You'll have to be more specific than 'Pakistani' as there isn't really such a thing as Pakistani culture. It's a very new country that was established for dubious reasons with many different groups of people all with different cultures.
Original post by Rhythmical
Well what do you expect, I'm living off literally no sleep :redface:

Exam stress and stuff?
Original post by hezzlington
Yep very Westernized indeed. They all know Urdu/some know Arabic but nobody taught me. I'd love to learn

Best way to learn Urdu is to interact with your pakistani relatives and make some pakistani friend :smile:
Original post by I_Say
You'll have to be more specific than 'Pakistani' as there isn't really such a thing as Pakistani culture. It's a very new country that was established for dubious reasons with many different groups of people all with different cultures.

I know next to nothing other than the traffic is crazy in Pakistan, and that it's quite tribal.

There's quite a significant Pakistani community in my town, so I mean British-Pakistani.

I'm not British Pakistani though, I'm White-Asian (at least this is what I define myself as, and what I write on forms..)
Exam stress and stuff?

I guess yes and facing deportation to Pakistan if I fail these exams, fancy joining me? I live in the village mind but the nearest city is new and upcoming :tongue:
I guess yes and facing deportation to Pakistan if I fail these exams, fancy joining me? I live in the village mind but the nearest city is new and upcoming :tongue:

What?! How come?! Aren't you a British Citizen?
What?! How come?! Aren't you a British Citizen?

No its a joke between my mum, she says if I fail, she's sending me back home haha. Of course I'm British, I act white more than I do my own culture. :smile:
No its a joke between my mum, she says if I fail, she's sending me back home haha. Of course I'm British, I act white more than I do my own culture. :smile:

hahah I was so confused then.
hahah I was so confused then.

I dont doubt you were! :tongue: if you ever travel to Pakistan, beware of the airports and their toilets and everything about them, you will probably wish you never stepped foot in them...
I dont doubt you were! :tongue: if you ever travel to Pakistan, beware of the airports and their toilets and everything about them, you will probably wish you never stepped foot in them...

mate the club I was at on friday night. Literally ****, piss and vomit EVERYWHERE! On the toilets, on the walls, mirrors/sink etc. I can handle it :sexface:
Pakistani events? Not that I've been to any.

Wish I could've gone to Pakistan Fashion Week. :colonhash:

A trip to Pakistan would be good. Stay safe though. :K:
Reply 31
I know next to nothing other than the traffic is crazy in Pakistan, and that it's quite tribal.

There's quite a significant Pakistani community in my town, so I mean British-Pakistani.

I'm not British Pakistani though, I'm White-Asian (at least this is what I define myself as, and what I write on forms..)

Well I'd suggest finding out about the cultural group of your family (Pashtun, Baloch Punjab etc) and researching that culture. But in all honesty if the culture you're hoping to become a part of hasn't been relevant to your life at all then I think any connection you're hoping to gain would only ever be a contrived one.
Watch Slumdog Millionaire.
mate the club I was at on friday night. Literally ****, piss and vomit EVERYWHERE! On the toilets, on the walls, mirrors/sink etc. I can handle it :sexface:

Trust me this will freak you out, and if you ever wonder around, beware of people begging off you and pulling tricks just to get your money. Being in the village is more fun than a city would ever be, you get the true Pakistani experience and fun :smile:

... I now don't feel like going clubbing for my 18th. Oh well, Game of Thrones marathon, here I come.

Spoiler

Trust me this will freak you out, and if you ever wonder around, beware of people begging off you and pulling tricks just to get your money. Being in the village is more fun than a city would ever be, you get the true Pakistani experience and fun :smile:

What do people in the villages do for fun?
Original post by ivybridge
... I now don't feel like going clubbing for my 18th. Oh well, Game of Thrones marathon, here I come.

Spoiler

Yep I hate going to that place, honestly, why do some students prefer cheap drinks over a classier establishment?!
What do people in the villages do for fun?

Play volleyball or cricket, look at the animals, scaring people with empty mango juice cartoons and then stomping their feet on them and going up the mountains :biggrin:
Yep I hate going to that place, honestly, why do some students prefer cheap drinks over a classier establishment?!

I have no idea where to go anyway :lol:
Play volleyball or cricket, look at the animals, scaring people with empty mango juice cartoons and then stomping their feet on them and going up the mountains :biggrin:

I don't like volleyball and I hate cricket. I love animals and I love mango juice. But mountains....now I'm really passionate about mountains and walking and I really want to see the Himalayas and the other ranges that Pakistan has to offer.

Pakistan is just low on my priorities of places to travel to atm :/ Especially since none of my family live there anymore..I don't think their experience of Pakistan as a country was particularly positive, as they were Christians. They do love and uphold their Pakistani culture to some extent though.

Quick Reply