The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Not competitive in a bad way - I would never be arrogant and nasty and point out or be smug that I was thinner than someone else. Recently, I do worry a bit or feel a bit down sometimes when I see a girl who's thinner than me though. I do compare the way I look with other women; I know I shouldn't but I have started to recently and I wish I didn't. I'm a perfectionist and that can get annoying when applied to something like this. No, it's not all to do with male attention that I worry about this sort of thing. I do worry about that of course but to be honest I think I worry about girls judging me even more. This is because the guys I've met or been friends with have generally been really nice whereas I've been bullied a few times, always by girls although nothing to do with weight, but it still makes me worry about what other women think way more than I should.
Original post by Madeline_H95
Nuh uh, being chubby is disgusting too. People need to be skinny

Madeline, this has really gone too far. If you want to comment on here then at the very least you should debate properly and back up your opinions with a reasonable argument not just throw insults. I can only come to the conclusion that you are incapable of doing this especially since yet again you have not answered any of the very valid points that everyone raised in response to your previous posts. The only thing that's disgusting here is your attitude! Being overweight is unhealthy but being your version of "chubby" or "fat" which according to you describes anyone who is a healthy weight not underweight or who is bigger than a size 6 if they are short or a size 8 if they are tall or who doesn't have a thigh gap is far from "disgusting". And to top it all off you are a very similar size to all the girls you're calling "fat". What weight are you then? What are your measurements? Can you post a picture?
Original post by Anonymous
Madeline, this has really gone too far. If you want to comment on here then at the very least you should debate properly and back up your opinions with a reasonable argument not just throw insults. I can only come to the conclusion that you are incapable of doing this especially since yet again you have not answered any of the very valid points that everyone raised in response to your previous posts. The only thing that's disgusting here is your attitude! Being overweight is unhealthy but being your version of "chubby" or "fat" which according to you describes anyone who is a healthy weight not underweight or who is bigger than a size 6 if they are short or a size 8 if they are tall or who doesn't have a thigh gap is far from "disgusting". And to top it all off you are a very similar size to all the girls you're calling "fat". What weight are you then? What are your measurements? Can you post a picture?

That would require intelligence, she clearly has none.

I also highly doubt she'll post a picture, especially after conveniently ignoring my picture which very clearly shows a short size 6-10 girl who isn't even remotely fat. Along with ignoring how I said even when underweight I still did not have a thigh gap, which was something I at the time was very fixated on. I was ill and starving myself and making myself sick all because disgusting excuses for human beings like her made it seem like you're disgusting and fat without one. She is the disgusting one, I hope she is ashamed of herself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sometimes the truth hurts

That is not the truth. That is yet again your opinion and it is an opinion that has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever. I started this thread to get constructive opinions on whether being a size 8 at my height was slightly chubby or if it sounded as if I would look better skinnier because I've been feeling insecure about it recently because I used to be very underweight. However, I completely underestimated just how vile some people on here could be. I know that I am a healthy weight and size, I know that size 8 is not fat, even as insecure as I've been I know that your opinions are in fact ridiculous but I am concerned with the effect that your comments could have on younger/less emotionally stable girls who could take your comments to heart much more than I will and I want to make sure that they completely ignore people like you.
So what? I'm truthful.

So, you're saying you're proud of being a dick? I saw that you posted on another thread that you have trouble making friends and getting into relationships. How surprising... I wonder why that could be? And no you are not truthful. You just like to shove your opinion down everyone's throat. There is a difference.
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

sounds perfectly normal! i am exactly the same height and size, and people always say how slim I look in dresses. dont fret, if you want to exercise more, its never a bad idea, but you dont sound like you need to lose weight! <3
Reply 146
No.

But if it was, it wouldn't matter. Chubby is beautiful.
Original post by Jebedee
Speak for yourself. If you have to be an adonis just to be able to get a girl that isn't fat. You need to jump ship and search for greener pastures.

Look, this really is going too far now. I tried to be polite to you before because I did ask people's opinions but it is completely ridiculous to describe a size 8 girl of any height as "fat" and your comments could be upsetting to a lot of people. That's not being unfair to men either; it's just setting equal standards for men and women. Being in a relationship with someone based solely on how they look is shallow but if you insist on doing it then if you expect a girl to be very skinny and no doubt pretty as well then it follows that you should be equally good looking.
Original post by SophieSmall
That would require intelligence, she clearly has none.

I also highly doubt she'll post a picture, especially after conveniently ignoring my picture which very clearly shows a short size 6-10 girl who isn't even remotely fat. Along with ignoring how I said even when underweight I still did not have a thigh gap, which was something I at the time was very fixated on. I was ill and starving myself and making myself sick all because disgusting excuses for human beings like her made it seem like you're disgusting and fat without one. She is the disgusting one, I hope she is ashamed of herself.

True, haha. :tongue: Yes, you're probably right and she probably won't but I just thought I'd challenge her to see what she did. That's terrible! I hope you're okay now. Yes, absolutely! Unfortunately, people like that rarely are ashamed of themselves though.
It's okay, I've looked up the symptoms of Body Dysmorphic Disorder and I definitely don't have it. I will be careful to make sure that I don't get to that stage though. :smile:
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
sounds perfectly normal! i am exactly the same height and size, and people always say how slim I look in dresses. dont fret, if you want to exercise more, its never a bad idea, but you dont sound like you need to lose weight! <3

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Laus2
No.

But if it was, it wouldn't matter. Chubby is beautiful.

Thank you. :smile: Yes, I know that chubby is beautiful too and that's exactly what I would say to someone else; I've just become insecure about my weight recently because I used to be very underweight and it just seems like there is so much pressure on women to be skinny. I definitely don't mean to offend anyone by posting this thread. :smile:
Size 8, am I chubby?........nah.

You're keeping it fifties!

"Experts said this confirmed the previously documented move away from the classic hourglass figure of the 1950s, when a woman's average waist size was 27.5in and her hips 39in, giving a much more curvaceous silhouette." (from an article about how women are becoming more overweight/unhealthy and denial about body image). Fyi the average weight for a women then was over 9stone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
Size 8, am I chubby?........nah.

You're keeping it fifties!

"Experts said this confirmed the previously documented move away from the classic hourglass figure of the 1950s, when a woman's average waist size was 27.5in and her hips 39in, giving a much more curvaceous silhouette." (from an article about how women are becoming more overweight/unhealthy and denial about body image). Fyi the average weight for a women then was over 9stone.

Thank you, "keeping it fifties" fair enough haha. :smile: Well my measurements are: Bust: 36, Waist: 26 and Hips: 35 so I do have an hourglass figure but I'm 8 stone cause I'm short haha.
You're fine. You don't need to lose weight. Just be wary about being skinny fat, but I'm sure you're not.
Original post by Moonstruck16
You're fine. You don't need to lose weight. Just be wary about being skinny fat, but I'm sure you're not.

Thank you. :smile: What exactly is skinny fat?
Thank you. :smile: What exactly is skinny fat?

It's when despite being slim in size you have a disproportionate amount of body fat and low muscle mass.
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

You were 40kg when you left school at 18? :O :O :O

And now you are asking if 50kg is chubby?

Not to be rude or presumptious here, but do you have an eating disorder?
Original post by SophieSmall
It's when despite being slim in size you have a disproportionate amount of body fat and low muscle mass.

Oh right, thank you. I do have quite a low muscle mass I think because I've been ill recently as I said in my original post but I am definitely planning to start exercising again really soon (as soon as I'm well enough) which should sort that. I don't think I have an unhealthily high amount of body fat though.
Original post by inhuman
You were 40kg when you left school at 18? :O :O :O

And now you are asking if 50kg is chubby?

Not to be rude or presumptious here, but do you have an eating disorder?

Yes to both the first questions but no I don't have an eating disorder. Not so far anyway and I hope I never develop one! I used to be pretty underweight naturally so now my current weight, although towards the low end of a healthy weight, feels chubby-ish to me comparatively. I have always worried about my weight a bit though; there is just so much pressure on girls/women to be skinny. If you don't know what I mean just look back at some of the previous replies to this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending