The Student Room Group

How much is/do you reckon your total student debt will be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Too cold :tongue:

I'll have you know, its been 23c most of the week. For the cheaper living costs, the bad weather is well worth it :P
Above 40K:redface:
Unlike my sister who did 7 years medicine and will pay less than me doing a 4 year degree :angry:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Above 40K:redface:
Unlike my sister who did 7 years medicine and will pay less than me doing a 4 year degree :angry:

She's a pre-2012 student then? Well you might not ever pay it off:P
Reply 23
A maximum of £30k, thats just for tuition fees, luckily my parents are covering living costs and accommodation. Still a ridiculous amount though.
about £90,000 if I study in London (five year vet med course plus maintenance loan)
This is for a 6 year med course. Just the maintenance and fee's. Lool not the additional costs included :colonhash:
@claireestelle
I just calculated this.

I want to cry.

Its around 86K.....
Over 40 by the end, London UNI btw
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
This is for a 6 year med course. Just the maintenance and fee's. Lool not the additional costs included :colonhash:
@claireestelle

Do you not get nhs bursary for the last two years? that's the highest student debt, i've ever heard of:P
I've not checked it in a while, but it was aroun £27-28k.

This was under the lower 3k fees, I dread to think what people are coming out with these days.
Original post by claireestelle
She's a pre-2012 student then? Well you might not ever pay it off:P

Yes she is:smile:

I will pay it off (with my will :rofl: )
Do you not get nhs bursary for the last two years? that's the highest student debt, i've ever heard of:P

No not for med I don't think. And the bursary's barely anything. It makes the maintenance cost lower down. Essentially I'd be having to pay the same amount, just from my own pocket before getting a job :s-smilie:
And omg Ik. Thinking about it gives me a heart attack:lol:
I'd say it'll be about a good 92-4K overall. Maybe a tad bit more:colonhash:
Still haven't decided on where I want to go between the US and the UK

If I go to the UK, I will end up with minimum £120,000 debt
If I go to the US I will end up with minumum £210,000 debt
But the thing about the US, is that jobs are much more prevalent and salaries tend to be 5 times higher than UK counterparts in the field i am looking at
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Yes she is:smile:

I will pay it off (with my will :rofl: )

Well you only have to worry about it for 40 years.

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
No not for med I don't think. And the bursary's barely anything. It makes the maintenance cost lower down. Essentially I'd be having to pay the same amount, just from my own pocket before getting a job :s-smilie:
And omg Ik. Thinking about it gives me a heart attack:lol:
I'd say it'll be about a good 92-4K overall. Maybe a tad bit more:colonhash:

I really wouldnt let it worry you so much.Unless things change you might not pay back anymore than students doing 3 year degrees anyway.
About 50k by the end of my degree I think.
Original post by horsewithnoname
about £90,000 if I study in London (five year vet med course plus maintenance loan)

Original post by cookiemonster15
I just calculated this.

I want to cry.

Its around 86K.....

I knew london/vet/med student loans were high but didnt realise they'd be in the 80's.

Original post by ODES_PDES
Over 40 by the end, London UNI btw

From what i ve seen so far, that sounds quite low for london, will you be living at home?

Original post by Elivercury
I've not checked it in a while, but it was aroun £27-28k.

This was under the lower 3k fees, I dread to think what people are coming out with these days.

Seems like current students average debts are going to be double that.

Original post by KingYusHalo
Still haven't decided on where I want to go between the US and the UK

If I go to the UK, I will end up with minimum £120,000 debt
If I go to the US I will end up with minumum £210,000 debt

How will paying that back work as an international student?
Will probably be about ~20k.
That was pretty frugal of you, i m kind of wishing that I'd taken a part time job as i'd probably have not needed to take the maintenance loan then.

That's pretty good, i presume your mortgage will go down much faster once your student loans out of the way :smile:

Yea, I lived at home and worked 1 day 2 nights in a call centre so I was earning £600ish from that job plus I had worked full time during summer so I had saved up quite a bit. I only paid £160 in digs to my mum and that included my phone bill. Plus I got my bursary, being from a "broken home" it was pretty good, couple hundred a month. :h:
around 60k (9k tuition loan + 5k maintenance over 4 year degree) probably more as tuition fees are going to be rising every year from now.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Yea, I lived at home and worked 1 day 2 nights in a call centre so I was earning £600ish from that job plus I had worked full time during summer so I had saved up quite a bit. I only paid £160 in digs to my mum and that included my phone bill. Plus I got my bursary, being from a "broken home" it was pretty good, couple hundred a month. :h:

Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest