The Student Room Group

Genuine question to ex muslims

so i was wondering why some people will tell muslims who defend their religion that they are indoctrinated. Some of you grew up in strict households but u still left Islam but I didn't grow up in strict household infact i am the only one from my siblings to pray 5 times a day so what gives u the right if anything u were indoctrinated from ur strict upbringing how did u leave the religion? It doesn't make sense and i hope people will stop using this word because it hurt me because i practise from my free will. Also how would u explain reverts to Islam they didn't know the religion when they were younger but still came into it.
Reply 1
why do u listen to what someone insulting you says, don't take it to heart
Live and let live. Good for you for passionately believing in your religion, but don't let others who don't wish to be part of Islam affect you.
I don't think people leaving your religion is a reflection on you personally.
"Ex-Muslims" are really leaving to have an excuse for committing sins basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
if anything u were indoctrinated from ur strict upbringing how did u leave the religion?

Indoctrination (of any kind) makes it difficult to see things differently. It doesn't make it impossible.

It doesn't make sense and i hope people will stop using this word because it hurt me because i practise from my free will.

Choice is a very misunderstood concept among the religious. There's a difference between choice and being subject to a rule that you don't mind/happily follow.

Also how would u explain reverts to Islam they didn't know the religion when they were younger but still came into it.

The claim isn't that it's only possible for those have been brought up in a religion to follow it. The claim is that the vast majority of religious people can be accounted for in this way. Or did you think it was a coincidence that, historically, most children born to Muslim parents ended up as Muslims, most children born to Christian parents ended up as Christians, and so on?

'Reverts', as you erroneously call them, are an exceedingly small minority, and are the exceptions, not the rule. Likewise, there are people who convert from Islam to another religion - it doesn't prove anything about the veracity of that other religion.

(There's a great irony in your use of the term 'revert': it implies that you believe that all children are born Muslim, but some are misled by their parents. Yet you somehow believe that Muslim parents are wholly incapable of being guilty of this. Why should anybody care that you are hurt by claims that you follow your religion as a consequence of childhood indoctrination, when you implicitly accuse everyone else of the same?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Why do these types of posts/threads always have the worst spelling and grammar?
If you spend your entire life glued to a book, you'd think you'd pick up some literary skills :noway:
Original post by Zargabaath
Why do these types of posts/threads always have the worst spelling and grammar?
If you spend your entire life glued to a book, you'd think you'd pick up some literary skills :noway:

Depends what language the book is in? But yeah, I agree.
Reply 8
Original post by donner kebab
"Ex-Muslims" are really leaving to have an excuse for committing sins basically.
Think about it logically.
They obviously no longer believe in the threat of eternal punishment for those sins, not to mention apostasy, so they are leaving Islam because they no longer believe it to be true. The ability to have a bit of fun is just a welcome by-product.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
so i was wondering why some people will tell muslims who defend their religion that they are indoctrinated. Some of you grew up in strict households but u still left Islam but I didn't grow up in strict household infact i am the only one from my siblings to pray 5 times a day so what gives u the right if anything u were indoctrinated from ur strict upbringing how did u leave the religion? It doesn't make sense and i hope people will stop using this word because it hurt me because i practise from my free will. Also how would u explain reverts to Islam they didn't know the religion when they were younger but still came into it.
The "strictness" of your upbringing is irrelevant. What is important is what you were told, and how you were told it. Indoctrination is just about teaching ideas without addressing their flaws and inconsistencies. It is not "brainwashing".
Also important is the ability of the individual to think beyond the indoctrination. Some yearn for it, some are intimidated by it.
There is no single type of indoctrination or indoctrinated person.
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
.There's a great irony in your use of the term 'revert': it implies that you believe that all children are born Muslim, but some are misled by their parents. Yet you somehow believe that Muslim parents are wholly incapable of being guilty of this. Why should anybody care that you are hurt by claims that you follow your religion as a consequence of childhood indoctrination, when you implicitly accuse everyone else of the same?)
Hadn't thought of this.

Nice work!
Logic win.
Original post by QE2
Think about it logically.
They obviously no longer believe in the threat of eternal punishment for those sins, not to mention apostasy, so they are leaving Islam because they no longer believe it to be true. The ability to have a bit of fun is just a welcome by-product.

Yes fun is great but Allah banned those things for a reason.

Allah (swt) created us fragile creatures with hormones. These hormones are great in giving us strength, innovation and our ability to strive for extra-ordinary things. However, it is obvious that a side effect (as with many good things) that it can lead to disastrous consequences and a to path of darkness and chaos. Therefore, some things are unfortunately banned to ensure stability and control whilst we still can challenge ourselves. It is the manifestation of our humane nature to want these things, however, as we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions. We can be creative without the fear of a slippery slope.

Civilizations soar if they can control their disorder and chaos whilst striving for innovation. However, ex-muslims unfortunately give in to their hormonal urges. That mixed in with the western and the subsequent 'Hollywood media' encourages such craze in the false notion of "freedom". Unfortunately, the western world (spear-headed by America) fear the control Islam brings, it yearns for total control and looks at the jurisdiction that Islam brings. I think you will find the more they (America and Israel), as an globalist empire, actively increase its control, the more people will want to restrict them, and hence join the fastest growing religion.

Again, ex-muslims have unfortunately failed the test. Maybe it is not their fault, it is okay to be influenced by populist propaganda from the media - and give in to urges of sins. In which case Allah can only judge them.
I'm no scientist, but in my opinion, people need to stop taking the Abrahamic trilogy as the truth and should start taking this trilogy as the truth...
Attachment not found
Reply 13
Original post by donner kebab
Yes fun is great but Allah banned those things for a reason.

Allah (swt) created us fragile creatures with hormones. These hormones are great in giving us strength, innovation and our ability to strive for extra-ordinary things. However, it is obvious that a side effect (as with many good things) that it can lead to disastrous consequences and a to path of darkness and chaos. Therefore, some things are unfortunately banned to ensure stability and control whilst we still can challenge ourselves. It is the manifestation of our humane nature to want these things, however, as we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions. We can be creative without the fear of a slippery slope.
Okaaay....

So why is eating pork banned, but slavery not banned?
Why are men banned from wearing gold, but not banned from beating their wives?

Civilizations soar if they can control their disorder and chaos whilst striving for innovation. However, ex-muslims unfortunately give in to their hormonal urges. That mixed in with the western and the subsequent 'Hollywood media' encourages such craze in the false notion of "freedom". Unfortunately, the western world (spear-headed by America) fear the control Islam brings, it yearns for total control and looks at the jurisdiction that Islam brings. I think you will find the more they (America and Israel), as an globalist empire, actively increase its control, the more people will want to restrict them, and hence join the fastest growing religion.
Yeah, IKR. Which is why those states and systems that control disorder and chaos through Islam have been such great examples of "soaring civilisations"!

Again, ex-muslims have unfortunately failed the test. Maybe it is not their fault, it is okay to be influenced by populist propaganda from the media - and give in to urges of sins. In which case Allah can only judge them.
And none of your word salad actually addressed the point I made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending