The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
It said assess
You had to talk about the drawbacks of those methods as well?

I evaluated everything, even 10 markers.

About 40 per cent of every essay paragraph was evaluation :P
Original post by MBenjamin
What did people write for the pressure groups 25 marker?

The influence/power of pressure groups has changed:

- Membership increasing (Whoever gave that example about the RSPB; thank you! I used it :biggrin:) therefore leading to greater representation.

- Pressure groups taking a more prominent role in democratic issues like the EU Referendum (Vote Leave & Britain Stronger in Europe)

The influence/power of pressure groups hasn't changed/has declined:

- Political parties still dominant in elections because they seek government/political office, whereas pressure groups don't.

- Some pressure groups are ineffective in achieving their aims. (E.g. Stop the War Coalition; UK Uncut; NUS)

I think I added one more? Not 100% sure. I don't know if what I wrote was relevant or good. Is it just me who forgets what they wrote about in the exam, even if it was only a couple of minutes ago?
What did you guys put for the 25 Marker for democracy?

I talked about how there's a low turnout for the elections of EU institutions, which can hinder democracy. However as Parliament's sovereignty overrides this.
I also talked about devolution Is good because it creates a more efficient representation.
Original post by popcornjpg
I evaluated everything, even 10 markers.

About 40 per cent of every essay paragraph was evaluation :P

Thank goodness I evaluated too!

My friend managed to write about 6 electoral systems, but I don't think he evaluated. Poor sod :frown:
Original post by Hannaha124

I talked about how there's a low turnout for the elections of EU institutions, which can hinder democracy. However as Parliament's sovereignty overrides this.
I also talked about devolution Is good because it creates a more efficient representation.

Ayyyy Hannah 👏👏👏
Original post by Hannaha124

Pretty much the same :smile:

For affecting democracy:

- Unelected commision EU makes democracy in our country undermined
- Devolution improves representation at a lower level

For no:

- UK Veto in the council/we can leave
- Devolution and parliamentary sovereignty

Conclusion:
definitely does affect it but depending on your view for better or worse
Original post by UKStudent17
Thank goodness I evaluated too!

My friend managed to write about 6 electoral systems, but I don't think he evaluated. Poor sod :frown:

oops :/

assess basically means 'do the advantages outweight the disadvantages?' vice versa so he might be a bit screwed :frown:
Reply 1307
On to unit 2 guys

Think that might be really hard as well?
WHERE WAS DIRECT DEMOCRACY EDEXCEL???
I said greater represtentation for devolution since reflects needs better, had examples. Then I said turnout is low (quoted figures) said doesn't add to direct democracy.
Then I said it's a bureaucratic mess, and west Lothian question has arises.

For EU I said party list = proportional, and allows functional representation for pressure groups
However, unelected commission etc (basically everything brexit I have read)
Also said bureaucratic mess with money we pay in, and referendum has enhanced representative democracy as people in GE voted on it? No idea was a mess
oops :/

assess basically means 'do the advantages outweight the disadvantages?' vice versa so he might be a bit screwed :frown:

Yeah. I was surprised at the fact he wrote about 6. I mean, I think I managed to write about 3 (FPTP, AMS, STV) with at least 2-3 advantages + disadvantages per one, also with a judgement/evaluation at the end. I think it was you who suggested that? Thanks. :smile:

I had maybe 2 minutes left, and my hands were shaking like crazy. Decided to scribble down something about party list, so I might get a mark or two with that. It was a nice question, just a lot to talk about!
Original post by xxvine
On to unit 2 guys

Think that might be really hard as well?

is there an official unit 2 thread? if not, seeing as you made this one, may as well continue the tradition :biggrin:
Original post by UKStudent17
Yeah. I was surprised at the fact he wrote about 6. I mean, I think I managed to write about 3 (FPTP, AMS, STV) with at least 2-3 advantages + disadvantages per one, also with a judgement/evaluation at the end. I think it was you who suggested that? Thanks. :smile:

I had maybe 2 minutes left, and my hands were shaking like crazy. Decided to scribble down something about party list, so I might get a mark or two with that. It was a nice question, just a lot to talk about!

Yes, it was lovely. I actually planned the exact question yesterday lol, only I didn't have enough time to do my whole plan (also wanted to write about AMS)
Guys can we protest? Haha that exam hit me harder than a brickwall lol

I talked about england being unrepresented , type federelism , unitary constitution , eu parliament..... what did you guys do for the democracy question?
My teacher said it was the hardest shes seen
Yes, it was lovely. I actually planned the exact question yesterday lol, only I didn't have enough time to do my whole plan (also wanted to write about AMS)

How many systems did you write about? Also how many do you think should've been talked about in order to get decently high marks (Maybe 16-19)
Reply 1314
You know for the parliamentary democracy question
Writing that it has two chambers one appointed and one elected and that it's the source of all power where laws can be amended, made and unmade...was that wrong?
hi guys, im new to tsr
i done political parties and democracy BUT i tend to forget thequestions straight after the exams
can someone remember the 10 marks for democracy and political participation pls? x
Reply 1316
Original post by Hurbad
Guys can we protest? Haha that exam hit me harder than a brickwall lol

I talked about england being unrepresented , type federelism , unitary constitution , eu parliament..... what did you guys do for the democracy question?
My teacher said it was the hardest shes seen

Teacher said the Same thing
She said even the 10
Markers were tricky
i wrote for the democracy 25 marker

Affected

- Controversial a complex issues resulting in the use of direct democracy meaning representatives aren't being used showing its ineffective in dealing with matters
-Sovereignty being transferred from parliament meaning those in the eu parliament have a more of a authoritarian voice than those in the uk parliament shows their voices arent valued
-Low turnout in referendums such as the mayoral elections which could have been the cause for low turnout in general elections as there overall is a loss of faith in political parties which thus meant that government doesn't have a majority

However

- its created more representative bodies such as london mayors and scottish and welsh parliament assembly
- consent for constitutional change as all referednums scottish welsh and ec in 1975 achieved high turnouts so policys created by the mps in both parliament will achieve a great deal of support ensuring a mandate

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHETHER OR NOT THESE ARE VALID :\
is there an official unit 2 thread? if not, seeing as you made this one, may as well continue the tradition :biggrin:

I need to ace Unit 2. I haven't even started revising it yet, so I'll be focusing on that right up until I bloody leave for the exam! I don't even know if I've passed anything this year apart from History, so I need something good here..
Reply 1319
For the democracy 25 marker would it be wrong to mention how EU law is binding on parliament hence weakening the democratic values of the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending