The Student Room Group

How long have you been a graduate?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and recent graduate. I was wondering if there any graduates out there who are still looking for a job. How long has it been since you graduated and what has been difficult for you to find your ideal job?

Scroll to see replies

Graduated a year ago, got 3 months work. Now looking again. Not as easy as it looks
Reply 2
I graduated in 2014. I'm a paralegal for now in an area I have no interest in though ( PI). I'm constantly looking for new jobs but it is quite tough .
Original post by Raydude90
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and recent graduate. I was wondering if there any graduates out there who are still looking for a job. How long has it been since you graduated and what has been difficult for you to find your ideal job?

Graduated in 2014, had 3 jobs since then and still in employment now and it will stay like that.

I know a few 2013 graduates who are working part time in a warehouse.
Reply 4
Original post by Boreism
Graduated in 2014, had 3 jobs since then and still in employment now and it will stay like that.

I know a few 2013 graduates who are working part time in a warehouse.

Wow, could they not find anything permament? Well Im glad you're doing well.
Original post by Raydude90
Wow, could they not find anything permament? Well Im glad you're doing well.

Well they have left the warehouse position now, it was too menial for them to do - especially on NMW. Ever since then they're unemployed. The worst thing about their situation is, it was their only job they have ever done since graduation (and their 'working' life).
The importance of experience peeps!

Not going to lie, I did find it extremely difficult to get a job straight after graduation, but 4 months later I registered with recruitment agencies and one of them 'usefully' found me a job straight away!

It's just the case of having to persevere and stay positive and then you will find something that you may enjoy and progress into!

Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Been a graduate for a year now, had a job for 6 months but then got made redundant so it's back to the hunt. I've had two interviews recently, one at a place I'd love to work at and one that I think would be interesting and surprise me, so I'm hoping that I'll be lucky enough to be considered for either position. I know a lot of people who are going to graduate soon who know already that its gonna be tough so they're just trying to get part-time employment and even that is a task these days. I'm not sure if the "overqualified" aspect is something that employers really reject graduates for for entry level jobs but I'd be interested to see the employers view on things.
Original post by melinae
Been a graduate for a year now, had a job for 6 months but then got made redundant so it's back to the hunt. I've had two interviews recently, one at a place I'd love to work at and one that I think would be interesting and surprise me, so I'm hoping that I'll be lucky enough to be considered for either position. I know a lot of people who are going to graduate soon who know already that its gonna be tough so they're just trying to get part-time employment and even that is a task these days. I'm not sure if the "overqualified" aspect is something that employers really reject graduates for for entry level jobs but I'd be interested to see the employers view on things.

Well I applied for a Sales Advisor role at my local River Island a few weeks back (as I was doing an office temp job).
Although they didn't reject me they instead decided to keep my details in the system. So that must be a good thing then?
To be honest I do not want to go back to retail but I applied just as a test to get a response as a graduate.
Reply 8
Original post by Boreism
Well I applied for a Sales Advisor role at my local River Island a few weeks back (as I was doing an office temp job).
Although they didn't reject me they instead decided to keep my details in the system. So that must be a good thing then?
To be honest I do not want to go back to retail but I applied just as a test to get a response as a graduate.

I always just assumed that they said that just to make the rejection letter sound a little bit nicer haha. Never heard back from any place that "kept my details on record". But you never know. Yeah, I don't want to go back to retail but anything is better than nothing, even if you hate your co-workers or think it's not for you. Money is money at the end of the day, sadly! :P
Original post by melinae
I always just assumed that they said that just to make the rejection letter sound a little bit nicer haha. Never heard back from any place that "kept my details on record". But you never know. Yeah, I don't want to go back to retail but anything is better than nothing, even if you hate your co-workers or think it's not for you. Money is money at the end of the day, sadly! :P

It doesn't really matter for me either way I'm still in a job and that certainly counts.
I do however know 4 people who works in retail (warehouse to be exact) after graduating in 2013 and they absolutely hated it. They're unemployed now.

But as people say if you're not very happy in the job, its not worth doing, it will only make life worse for yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but it appears to me that it's significantly easier to find a job during your final year of university rather than after graduation.

I had a few job offers by March/April 2012 (the year I graduated) and went straight into work, where I've been for four years now. Likewise, people who bothered applying during their final year on my course all got at least 1-2 job offers, whereas those who left it until after the course struggled for months. It may just be that a 3-4 month application process doesn't feel as long when you're studying vs being unemployed however.

Although I now plan to go back to university and retrain to be a teacher as I think I'd enjoy it more.
Incidentally, I wouldn't underestimate "menial" jobs, unless you've got a specific skill set and are certain it's temporary situation for you(i.e. STEM degrees).

I have a friend who could only get part time work in high street retail after graduation and following several years of hard work he's been promoted multiple times and is now head of HR or something for the company. So if you're talented and willing to put in the work these jobs can offer decent opportunities and can be why they offer them to graduates. As I understand it he's now above many of the people who joined the company's grad scheme.
Never dismiss 'menial jobs' as not being worth it. Having a CV with six months plus work in a call centre/warehouse/nursing home shows an employer that you can:

Get out of bed in the morning and get somewhere on time
Take instructions from a manager
Form relationships with co-workers
Get your head down and just get on with something even if you don't necessarily love it
Provide a proper reference from someone who probably isn't a friend of your mum

These are all very big selling points amongst lots of CVs talking about 'a gap year in Borra Borra' and 'some freelance work in the music/fashion/media industry'.
Original post by maridonna
Never dismiss 'menial jobs' as not being worth it. Having a CV with six months plus work in a call centre/warehouse/nursing home shows an employer that you can:

Get out of bed in the morning and get somewhere on time
Take instructions from a manager
Form relationships with co-workers
Get your head down and just get on with something even if you don't necessarily love it
Provide a proper reference from someone who probably isn't a friend of your mum

These are all very big selling points amongst lots of CVs talking about 'a gap year in Borra Borra' and 'some freelance work in the music/fashion/media industry'.

Well they are still finding it extremely hard to find a job afterwards. Can't even find a job abroad because lack of experience.

I worked in retail, hospitality and call centre and never had trouble finding a job?

I'm not saying a warehouse job doesn't get you a job but I guess it depends what job you're after. If you're after an office admin job you would obviously need computer skills and relevant experience of working with computers, but how does warehouse work get you to develop those skills?

But things would be different if you work at cash desk in a warehouse shop/shop floor because you get the chance to interact with people develop verbal communication skills and work with a computerised till.

I mean with warehouse work you don't get to talk to people (but probably with your colleagues obviously), you're in the 'back stage' staff. Plus its really tough work when you're unable to lift some of the things they sell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Graduated in 2014. Worked in Boots for a year. I tried applying for medicine, however, that plan did not work out. So since July 2015, i've been looking for a graduate job. I took part in a 3 week course from mid January - Feb and got a certificate out of it. Since then i've had 10 interview - they didn't go so well. It's not as easy as it looks. I know I am not entitled to anything, but it's getting seriously frustrating. I can't even get an internship like wtf. Even been rejected by a few retail jobs.
Original post by tonystark
Graduated in 2014. Worked in Boots for a year. I tried applying for medicine, however, that plan did not work out. So since July 2015, i've been looking for a graduate job. I took part in a 3 week course from mid January - Feb and got a certificate out of it. Since then i've had 10 interview - they didn't go so well. It's not as easy as it looks. I know I am not entitled to anything, but it's getting seriously frustrating. I can't even get an internship like wtf. Even been rejected by a few retail jobs.

That's normal unfortunately because most employers in retail would think you wouldn't want to stay too long and then feel that their training and resources will be a complete waste of their time.
Original post by tonystark

I would suggest you brush up on your interview technique. Like everything else it is a skill. You must be doing something right if you're getting so many interviews, so that's a real positive, most people struggle to get to the interview stage.

Approach it like a task/project. Practice it, plan how you are going to succeed at it and ultimately just try to be personable and make them want to put you in their company.
Finished my Masters in September last year, been trying to find paid work ever since.
Original post by Boreism
Well they are still finding it extremely hard to find a job afterwards. Can't even find a job abroad because lack of experience.

I worked in retail, hospitality and call centre and never had trouble finding a job?

I'm not saying a warehouse job doesn't get you a job but I guess it depends what job you're after. If you're after an office admin job you would obviously need computer skills and relevant experience of working with computers, but how does warehouse work get you to develop those skills?

But things would be different if you work at cash desk in a warehouse shop/shop floor because you get the chance to interact with people develop verbal communication skills and work with a computerised till.

I mean with warehouse work you don't get to talk to people (but probably with your colleagues obviously), you're in the 'back stage' staff. Plus its really tough work when you're unable to lift some of the things they sell.

Think 'transferable skills'. Warehouse work: exposure to ordering, stocktaking, teamwork, health & safety legislation (and if you're being asked to lift stuff that is obviously too heavy for you then you need to speak to HR/your agency/an employment adviser about it), numeracy skills, completing paperwork or online forms quickly and accurately.

Working in a care home: using your initiative, dealing with challenging people (patients and their visitors), a HECK of a lot of responsibility, patience, team work, filling out dull but legally very important forms, shift work, health & safety etc etc.

And just the mundane day to day stuff. As i said above, it proves that you can get yourself somewhere on time on a regular basis and get on with things and other people.

No one's saying that 3 years of warehouse work is a precursor for a grad job at the US office of Amazon, but 6 or so months can, I think, greatly enhance a CV. It's all about how you present it.
Original post by Elivercury
I would suggest you brush up on your interview technique. Like everything else it is a skill. You must be doing something right if you're getting so many interviews, so that's a real positive, most people struggle to get to the interview stage.

Approach it like a task/project. Practice it, plan how you are going to succeed at it and ultimately just try to be personable and make them want to put you in their company.

It's been my downfall, interviews. It just hurts me how bad I am at interviews. I've been through second rounds of interviews, but when it comes to face to face interviews, It's been my short coming. How would you recommend I practise interview skills - because often I come across as fake and robotic in my interviews. Even been described as 'having low energy'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending