The Student Room Group

How much is/do you reckon your total student debt will be?

Scroll to see replies

If I go abroad- Either no debt at all if I have enough savings or £11k

If I go to uni here- Well over £45k
If I had to go to university facing the current fees, I would definitely opt for another country like Sweden where I would only have to worry about funding my living costs.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If I go abroad- Either no debt at all if I have enough savings or £11k

If I go to uni here- Well over £45k

Are you wanting to go to a country which has no tuition fees then?

Original post by Elivercury
If I had to go to university facing the current fees, I would definitely opt for another country like Sweden where I would only have to worry about funding my living costs.

But would you be happy relocating that far to save the money?
9k tuition x 4 (fifth year nhs bursary) + 7k x 5 = 71k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle

Definitely. I spent 5 months there as part of my course and it was a fantastic place to live.

Incidentally, most students end up living several hours from their homes for university anyway, so the only real difference is that you're taking a flight rather than the train.
Definitely. I spent 5 months there as part of my course and it was a fantastic place to live.

Incidentally, most students end up living several hours from their homes for university anyway, so the only real difference is that you're taking a flight rather than the train.

I suppose when you look at it that way, the only thing for me is in utter emergencies i could always find a way back to where my family live, if flights stopped getting back from sweden could be near impossible.

The uni I'm probably going to charges £1300 a year so not too bad.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The uni I'm probably going to charges £1300 a year so not too bad.

Now that is pretty cheap :smile:
I just finished my course that I started in September 2013 and for 3 years I had a tuition fee loan of £9,000 and a maintenance loan of roughly £4,000 so that's £39.000 for the 3 years
Last time I checked (and by checked I mean "got a letter saying how much I owe") it was just over £22,000 and rising fast with interest. I'm not going to start paying it off any time soon, either, as I'm still a student for another three years or so.
I suppose when you look at it that way, the only thing for me is in utter emergencies i could always find a way back to where my family live, if flights stopped getting back from sweden could be near impossible.

I mean how often have flights been completely grounded in the past decade? The Iceland volcano eruption is the only one I can think of. The odds of that happening at the same time you have a family emergency are tiny.

Frankly, you're much more likely for the trains to shut down in this country! Of course you would still have planes/buses as backups (not to mention driving).

There are also ferries available from Sweden to UK, it's just not as convenient.
I mean how often have flights been completely grounded in the past decade? The Iceland volcano eruption is the only one I can think of. The odds of that happening at the same time you have a family emergency are tiny.

Frankly, you're much more likely for the trains to shut down in this country! Of course you would still have planes/buses as backups (not to mention driving).

There are also ferries available from Sweden to UK, it's just not as convenient.

Bad things have a habit of happening to my family, worst case scenario i could cycle back to them if all else fails but even when flights are just delayed if someones ended up in hospital, it'd be time you don't really have to play with. But otherwise i can see the advantages of studying abroad.
Reply 52
Easily £40K +.
£41k if I don't do a year abroad, £46.75k if I do.

Not fussed, just a grad tax really..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bad things have a habit of happening to my family, worst case scenario i could cycle back to them if all else fails but even when flights are just delayed if someones ended up in hospital, it'd be time you don't really have to play with. But otherwise i can see the advantages of studying abroad.

Obviously not an option for everyone and some people need to go to local universities for family and other reasons. However if you are already weighing up a university which is 2-4 hours away from your parent's home, living in another country isn't significantly different.
£51,600 if I do the BSc, three years

£68,800 if I do the MSci, four years
Reply 56
9k tuition (1 year) + 3 years of max maintenance loan 3k for ease of calculation x3= 9k so around 18k in total.

I'm quite fortunate in that my grandparents paid for my tuition fees in 2nd and 3rd year.

That said this is prior to taking out the PG loan
i'd hope to pay mine off as i do it
but in total that figure could be $130,000 (without haggling)
By the time the tories are finished ****ing us up the ass, probably in excess of 100k. Im getting through the entire 3 years in loans alone.
How will paying that back work as an international student?

I guess my dad is willing to put up 100,000 for my education. That means I'll only have a 20000 deficit in the UK which i guess can easily paid off by part time jobs and once you graduate. For the US, I'll still have a 110,000 debt. But then again, salaries in US are much higher so i guess i can pay that off in a relatively short amount of time

Quick Reply

Latest