The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

oh ****, also just remembered I mentioned additional member system in my introduction and then didnt even write about it :unimpressed:

was supposed to cross it out if I didn't have time but forgot ayy lmao i hope the examiner aint too harsh

Original post by UKStudent17
How many systems did you write about? Also how many do you think should've been talked about in order to get decently high marks (Maybe 16-19)

stv, fptp, sv - think I did ok tbh, I had lots of statistics on all, and referred to the goldsmith's smear campaign in SV paragraph
Original post by xxvine
You know for the parliamentary democracy questionWriting that it has two chambers one appointed and one elected and that it's the source of all power where laws can be amended, made and unmade...was that wrong?

cant comment whether right or wrong, but I talked about parliament maintaining deliberative democracy and making legislation, linked with rep. democracy. not sure whether my answers are right
was there anybody out there who had actually covered that democracy 25 marker before the exam? what was that man

my factors were basically just the growth Ukip and the SNP pmsl, beyond half-baked

the rest of the exam was lovely though, those elections questions were v nice
Original post by Suhaibdost1998
i wrote for the democracy 25 marker

Affected

- Controversial a complex issues resulting in the use of direct democracy meaning representatives aren't being used showing its ineffective in dealing with matters
-Sovereignty being transferred from parliament meaning those in the eu parliament have a more of a authoritarian voice than those in the uk parliament shows their voices arent valued
-Low turnout in referendums such as the mayoral elections which could have been the cause for low turnout in general elections as there overall is a loss of faith in political parties which thus meant that government doesn't have a majority

However

- its created more representative bodies such as london mayors and scottish and welsh parliament assembly
- consent for constitutional change as all referednums scottish welsh and ec in 1975 achieved high turnouts so policys created by the mps in both parliament will achieve a great deal of support ensuring a mandate

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHETHER OR NOT THESE ARE VALID :\

this looks quite nice and is probably what I should have thought about writing, looks good to me personally
I wrote about AV for the (25) for elections, forgetting that it's not used in the UK. I gave a wrong example but the content itself isn't wrong...

Oops.
Reply 1324
Shall we use this thread for Unit 2 or create a new one?
What did people put for the the 10 mark party question on Conservatives?
Original post by XiuXiu
this looks quite nice and is probably what I should have thought about writing, looks good to me personally

thanks!
can anyone remember the 10 marks for democracy and for parties exactly??
I didn't do a conclusion on my final essay and I'm kicking myself , how many marks do you think that would cost me? 6?
Original post by xxvine

I think a fresh thread would be nice - 67 pages is quite insane lol
25 Democracy Question : EU membership and Devolution

Affected represented democracy positively

+ EU membership allows greater involvement with European Parliament (MEP's)..(example of UKIP sending 24 MEP's to EU Parliament)
+ Devolution allows greater representative democracy in regional areas (Scotland and example of Scottish Nationalist Party becoming third largest political party)
+ Devolution proposals led to greater representative democracy (conservative manifesto to devolve further powers to GLA)

- EU membership undermines parliamentary democracy
- EU Commissions has unaccountable elites (E.g. Michael Gove asserted in Leave campaign debate)
- Devolution may lead to succession of rights and separatism that undermines UK representative democracy (Scotland referendum eg.)

Is that okay? it was a hard question and was not expecting such a specific question on devolution and EU membership on representative democracy.
Original post by xxvine

I'd say new one.
How many pages did everyone write for the 25 markers?
How important are statistics in the 25 election question?
Also when talking about te difference between elections and referendums can you refer to how referendums are a form of direct democracy and elections being part of a representative democracy system?
:frown:
Original post by EricAteYou
I wrote about AV for the (25) for elections, forgetting that it's not used in the UK. I gave a wrong example but the content itself isn't wrong...

Oops.

what were your factors? I just did

1. FPTP/pluralist system
2. AV/SV/majoritarian
3. Regional Party List/proportional

a bit worried that my points for the last two overlapped a little, since I was all 'they guarantee higher legitimacy' for both
Original post by fionaa_x
can anyone remember the 10 marks for democracy and for parties exactly??

Democracy 10 marker was about

UK adopting compulsory voting

something like that
Original post by Zilein
Also when talking about te difference between elections and referendums can you refer to how referendums are a form of direct democracy and elections being part of a representative democracy system?

I did that election/referendum point exactly. Probably is valid. Statistics dont really tend to matter all that much, they more just make you look smarter
Original post by Zilein

statistics are absolutely essential for L3 in elections questions IMO.

I think that's a good point yea, but did you write 2 points?
Original post by XiuXiu
I did that election/referendum point exactly. Probably is valid. Statistics dont really tend to matter all that much, they more just make you look smarter

lol thats ********, statistics dont make you look smarter, its evidence and examples. two things that are essential to politics. saying that FPTP is unproportional w/o evidence vice versa is really weak L1/2 point. especially considering election statistics are like the easiest to find and learn
Original post by popcornjpg
statistics are absolutely essential for L3 in elections questions IMO.

I think that's a good point yea, but did you write 2 points?

I mentioned that too.

I also talked about how referendums tend to focus on single-issues wheres elections cover a broad range of issues through use of manifestos. Dunno if that was good.

Quick Reply

Latest