The Student Room Group

Edexcel History - Unit 3C Boom, Bust and Recovery

Hey, anyone doing this paper? if so, what do you think will come up?

Scroll to see replies

I am haven't done past papers yet need to get on it, what do you think will come up?
Reply 2
Original post by Sademajek
I am haven't done past papers yet need to get on it, what do you think will come up?

I was hoping for prohibition, wbu?
Original post by bsbnah
I was hoping for prohibition, wbu?

yh same I'm not totally sure theres a lot of things that could come up really
Since last year was social impact, apparently this year will probably be economic issues in the 1920s (the economic boom)
Reply 5
Yo, does anyone have any notes, super condensed summaries and timelines for the test and someone toss me some detailed exam tech for A and B
If anybody has a chance to go to a library or something, get the Access to History book about the US from 1917-1954. It is so much better than the Edexcel one and full of useful facts and explanation

It has literally saved my revision lol
Reply 7
Original post by antigone-
If anybody has a chance to go to a library or something, get the Access to History book about the US from 1917-1954. It is so much better than the Edexcel one and full of useful facts and explanation

It has literally saved my revision lol

Bro do you have any electronic resources i can use?
I have an essay plan on "How far was WW1 responsible for the social tensions of the 1920s?"

Immigration and the KKK

The KKK existed before WW1 suggesting WW1 did not lead to its proliferance. In 1877, the KKK managed to lynch 3,000 people.

Nevertheless, the KKK supposedly became more popular after the War:

1920 = 100,000 members

1925 = 5 million members

Germans were disliked. Their prevalence in breweries helped trigger Prohibition. Those with German sounding names faced popular abuse and ‘sauerkraut’ was renamed liberty cabbage.

The war clearly encouraged the anti-immigration movement and the Red Scares of the 1920s.

The Red Scare saw 6000 arrests, also known as the ‘Palmer Raids’. The Scare died in 1920 when Palmer falsely claimed there would be a huge Communist demonstration in NYC.

Legislation:

The Immigration Act 1917 - Raised price of entry and added literacy tests, where you had to read 30-80 words to pass. Also, no criminals or homosexuals allowed.

The Emergency Quota Act 1921 - Restricted the number of immigrants to 337,000 a year. Only 3 per cent of the total population of any overseas group already in the USA in 1910 could come in after 1921.

The National Origins Act 1924 This law reduced the maximum number of immigrants to 150,000 per year and cut the quota to 2 per cent, based on the population of the USA in 1890.

Case of Sacco & Vanzetti : two Italian immigrants found guilty of murder and theft sentenced to death in 1927 - they were both anarchists who opposed WW1, and it is likely that this affected the ruling of their case

Prohibition

1917 Lever Act - grain was scarce after WW1 so this Act limited its use in the production of alcohol

Racism towards Germans as a result of the war led to Prohibition as many brewers were of German descent

After WW1, people wanted to enter a ‘brave new world’. It was thought alcohol would lead returning soldiers to temptation.

Limitations on freedom

The Espionage Act, June 1917

Made it illegal to attempt to obstruct military recruitment through the draft and to encourage ‘disloyalty'

The Sedition Act, May 1918

Made it illegal to discourage people from buying war bonds or verbally attacking the Constitution and the war effort. 1,500 were jailed as a consequence.

Women

Women’s suffrage was given in August 1920.

Women’s groups promoted flapper culture and Anti-Flirt Leagues.

By 1928, there were 145 women in 38 state legislatures. 2 women had been elected to the House of Representatives in Washington and 2 women served as state governors in succession of their husbands.

Secularism in education

John Scopes trial 1925

In 1925, the Tennessee Legislature passed a law making it illegal for a public schools “to teach any theory that denies the story of Divine Creation of man as taught in the Bible.”

Teacher John Scopes decided to teach a lesson on evolution anyway.

The Scopes trial began on July 10 1925, bringing far more attention than expected. Some 200 national reporters arrived in Dayton, Tennessee. Tourists and vendors (selling toy monkeys) arrived. It took the jury fewer than 10 minutes to find Scopes guilty, he was fined $100.

How are you guys revising?
Original post by Sademajek
How are you guys revising?

Essay plans mainly
I actually haven't started doing essay plans uni int to try do all for Friday
I have an essay plan on "How far was WW1 responsible for the social tensions of the 1920s?"

Thanks for this so helpful!
Reply 13

That was so useful! Have you got an essay on immigration by any chance?
Original post by bsbnah
That was so useful! Have you got an essay on immigration by any chance?

Not electronically, it's all on the plan I have there

If immigration came up, I would bring up Prohibition, relevant legislation and the KKK (all notes on this are on the plan I just wrote)

:smile:
Is any one just revising one topic for section B?
Im only gunna look at great depression
Original post by student420

I'm going to only revise the ND but briefly go over the GD just in case tomorrow
Reply 17
Not electronically, it's all on the plan I have there

If immigration came up, I would bring up Prohibition, relevant legislation and the KKK (all notes on this are on the plan I just wrote)

:smile:

thank you!! you know last years question - the one focusing in the war and the period from 45-55? what are we supposed to write for the question? it confuses me
Reply 18
I'm going to only revise the ND but briefly go over the GD just in case tomorrow

I'm really hoping for a question on Hoover to come up, what do you think the chances of that are?? :smile:

btw; this question for a section B "How far do you agree that america was hit by aN econmic downturn 1929-30" Is it referring to the stock market, banking, lack of regulation, unequal distribution of wealth, high tariffs, farming problems, industrial problems etc?
Reply 19
Original post by student420

yes, only looking at the causes of the GD and why it lasted to long so Hoovers policies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending