The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

I wrote a second point for the question but I can't remember it at all to be honest, and I had barely any statistics in the 25 marker... Dammit
I did elections and democracy. The elections section was nice and so were the 5&10 marker for democracy, but that 25 marker for democracy was so annoying. I have no idea what I will get in the summer but last year I got a B so I'm happy :smile:
Original post by UKStudent17
I mentioned that too.

I also talked about how referendums tend to focus on single-issues wheres elections cover a broad range of issues through use of manifestos. Dunno if that was good.

thats perfect honestly, this queston came up some years ago and that was in the mark scheme

i talked about referendums directly allowing citizens to influence policy and decision-making, and elections only doing this indirectly, and also that elections are always legally binding but referendums generally are politically binding or advisory
Original post by AhsanIqbal14
What did people put for the the 10 mark party question on Conservatives?

They have traditional elements new right elements and liberal elements

Traditional - pragmatism, value tradition, e/g against electoral reform in May 2009, property

New right- support free markets and lower direct taxes

Liberal elements- tolerance and diversity in society equality laws and same sex marriage in 2010, they take cautious interest in constitutionalism
Original post by XiuXiu
what were your factors? I just did

1. FPTP/pluralist system
2. AV/SV/majoritarian
3. Regional Party List/proportional

a bit worried that my points for the last two overlapped a little, since I was all 'they guarantee higher legitimacy' for both

I did the same pretty much. FPTP I spoke about strong governments ( and then how it's disproportionate ) , party list the opposite of FPTP and then STV about smaller parties and then constituency confusion.

I spoke about AV as if it were SV, just used the wrong name.
Original post by Joejj2183
Democracy 10 marker was about

UK adopting compulsory voting

something like that

ahaaa yes that went well do you by any chance remember the parties one ?
For 25 mark democracy I put roughly something like...

EU and Devolution have positively effected representative democracy by...
Devolution allows flexibility to different regions allowing them to act accordingly to their own needs like Scotland has no tuition
Eu has MEP allowing representatives torepresent in EU Parliament

Negative affect
EU controls certain aspects of society with its control in some areas of the uk like agriculture excluding those involved in that area in the UK
Devloved institutions have no say over national security which is in representative

Are these points relevant?
I sounded slightly communist at one point, talking about the rise neoliberalism and the fall of unions.
Original post by AhsanIqbal14
What did people put for the the 10 mark party question on Conservatives?

I talked about how the traditional Tories emphasise on organic society and how we must all work together like the human body. The current Tory government incorporate this traditional policy through the idea of 'Big Society- an example of so is NCS(National Citizen Service) and how this was created by the current government to enable youngsters to gain skills needed to help function our society.- I analysed but forgot what I said

How the traditional Tories emphasise on tradition and how this enables there to be a continuity between the past and the present. The current Tory government incorporate this through them not abolishing the monarch blah blah( i literally ********ted here)- but in 2014 David Cameron legalised homosexuals to get married which isn't traditional therefore this clearly shows the government has shifted from the traditional Tory policies.

How the traditional Tories are against multiculturalism and immigration. The current Tory government make immigrants take a UK test which is considered to be difficult and this is the only way for them to get their citizenship. - but the net migration increased to 300,000(300,000 extra people came to the UK) which clearly shows that they ate not doing a good job.

How did you find your exam?
Please can someone link me the edexcel unit 2 politics thread? Thanks
Original post by fionaa_x
ahaaa yes that went well do you by any chance remember the parties one ?

no sorry :/ did pressure groups after democracy :frown:
Original post by popcornjpg
thats perfect honestly, this queston came up some years ago and that was in the mark scheme

i talked about referendums directly allowing citizens to influence policy and decision-making, and elections only doing this indirectly, and also that elections are always legally binding but referendums generally are politically binding or advisory

Oh yeah that's a good one about binding & advisory. I think this question went pretty well :smile:

Can any of you remember what the (5) marker was for pressure groups? My memory's so bad that I can't remember piratically anything I wrote.
Unfortunately it said three advantages of compulsory voting, so you'll only get marked for a point relating to compulsory voting :frown:

I spoke about compolsory voting in one paragraph i said it increases turn out, as past referendums e.g London mayor only had 34 percent and the AV system only 42 percent also it forces people to think about politics, it gets people used to voting and the results will have more legitimacy and be respected. And then added the other bits. Do u think that's enough or was there more
Oh yeah that's a good one about binding & advisory. I think this question went pretty well :smile:

Can any of you remember what the (5) marker was for pressure groups? My memory's so bad that I can't remember piratically anything I wrote.

i think pressure groups one was about

outline 2 functions of pressure groups

Don't do pressure groups my friend :P

also, I was 99 per cent sure participation crisis would come up today as it hasnt in five years.. and referendums hasnt in 3 years. I planned for both a lot..

oh well, I hope you all do well guys, don't stress out now as you cant change much and prepare for unit 2. im sure everyone here will do well :biggrin:
Original post by Defraction
I talked about how the traditional Tories emphasise on organic society and how we must all work together like the human body. The current Tory government incorporate this traditional policy through the idea of 'Big Society- an example of so is NCS(National Citizen Service) and how this was created by the current government to enable youngsters to gain skills needed to help function our society.- I analysed but forgot what I said

How the traditional Tories emphasise on tradition and how this enables there to be a continuity between the past and the present. The current Tory government incorporate this through them not abolishing the monarch blah blah( i literally ********ted here)- but in 2014 David Cameron legalised homosexuals to get married which isn't traditional therefore this clearly shows the government has shifted from the traditional Tory policies.

How the traditional Tories are against multiculturalism and immigration. The current Tory government make immigrants take a UK test which is considered to be difficult and this is the only way for them to get their citizenship. - but the net migration increased to 300,000(300,000 extra people came to the UK) which clearly shows that they ate not doing a good job.

How did you find your exam?

I found it alright but feel like i may have rushed things and not expanded enough, how did you find it?
I really liked question 4.
Elections (b) asked for three reasons and my mind went black for a third. Thought the democracy one strongly incorporated unit 2 more so than 99% of the questions in the mark schemes since 2010.

The timing was REALLY unforgiving too. It's really difficult to not just rush through it because you want to jot down as many key points as needed, but then there's hardly any time to go in depth, counter-argue and evaluate. There should be another 15 minutes for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EricAteYou
Question three and four were a godsend.

Good paper.

Yeah they were really good, time was my only issue but the questions were good.
Original post by stratagems
I really liked question 4.
Elections (b) asked for three reasons and my mind went black for a third. Thought the democracy one strongly incorporated unit 2 more so than 99% of the questions in the mark schemes since 2010.

The timing was REALLY unforgiving too.

Timing was awful :frown: did you run out of time of your last 25 marker?
Don't do pressure groups my friend :P

also, I was 99 per cent sure participation crisis would come up today as it hasnt in five years.. and referendums hasnt in 3 years. I planned for both a lot..

oh well, I hope you all do well guys, don't stress out now as you cant change much and prepare for unit 2. im sure everyone here will do well :biggrin:

I planned for both too. I was reeeeeaaaaallly hoping for them, but nope. :bawling:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending