The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
You know for the parliamentary democracy question
Writing that it has two chambers one appointed and one elected and that it's the source of all power where laws can be amended, made and unmade...was that wrong?

Parliamentary democracy is just where a parliament/elected assembly is the key institution. It means that Parliament is the source of all political power and makes government accountable; government is drawn from Parliament. It also means that Parliament is the main vehicle for representation.

Any of those points would've got you the marks^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Democracy 25'marker - will i even get marks!!! Got confused on the question and I am seriously stressing, help!!!!

You see for the 25 marker on democracy -
I literally put different things to everyone else and I am worried- I said the EU was an effective use of representative democracy, due to the fact they make decisions on the behalf others, they have more knowledge and expertise and they it is easier to make them accountable if something goes wrong....EU protects individual rights and liberties through the ECHR
Devolution is a centralised form of government, so improves a level of identification with political and local democracy
Than I wrote arguments against about - they may distort views to suit their own political advantages
urgh ran out of time :/
Original post by lulucoco98
Democracy 25'marker - will i even get marks!!! Got confused on the question and I am seriously stressing, help!!!!

You see for the 25 marker on democracy -
I literally put different things to everyone else and I am worried- I said the EU was an effective use of representative democracy, due to the fact they make decisions on the behalf others, they have more knowledge and expertise and they it is easier to make them accountable if something goes wrong....EU protects individual rights and liberties through the ECHR
Devolution is a centralised form of government, so improves a level of identification with political and local democracy
Than I wrote arguments against about - they may distort views to suit their own political advantages

From what I can remember, I argued that it increased representative democracy because MEPs have a bigger platform to voice the concerns of the UK. I mentioned worker's rights/protection, human rights etc. that have been brought about as a result of the EU which balances against the tyranny of the majority, as the vulnerable get some representation. But, I said that it didn't increase representative democracy in that ministers within institutions are from other member states and so represent their own national interests. I also spoke about the legitimacy of the EU, and low turnouts at European Elections (UK is below average). I gave the example of UKIP having representation and that they were committed to pulling out.. so questioned their effectiveness of representing the UK as a whole. Also argued that many people don't know their MEPs.

Because the question asked about devolution and representative democracy, I also referred to devolution in Scotland.. the government being 'closer to home', being able to address local/regional issues better than central governments, low turnout (60%) in devolution referendum 1997 suggests lack of interest and legitimacy (of decision) but growing dominance of SNP in recent year shows otherwise. Briefly discussed the Scotland independence referendum 2014 and I went into EVEL as well.. discussed the Finance Bill 2016 as an evaluative point too

Posted from TSR Mobile
why did people do the eu question if they found it so hard? were we supposed to do democracy?1
Original post by kayemma
why did people do the eu question if they found it so hard? were we supposed to do democracy?1

No it's a choice but I guess people liked the other democracy questions so they had to do the essay question, I did democracy cause I liked it even though I struggled on the question...I just think they might be a bit nice with the marks as its a new question😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
No it's a choice but I guess people liked the other democracy questions so they had to do the essay question, I did democracy cause I liked it even though I struggled on the question...I just think they might be a bit nice with the marks as its a new question😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok thanks, and thats probably true i would've definitely done democracy but the timings are so tight I didn't even have time to think what I would write for that question !
Original post by kayemma
oh ok thanks, and thats probably true i would've definitely done democracy but the timings are so tight I didn't even have time to think what I would write for that question !

I know right! I think it should an hour and a half personally not an hour and 20 minutes 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
I know me too it's such a limiting time frame to do all of that!
And you'll only loose about 2 or 3 marks mate not to worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's relieving to hear! Need all the marks I can get haha... It's very pushing, I mean it leaves no time to check, to plan, to actually decide the questions! Ah well, at least I got the body done.
Would be a massive help if someone could tell me whether you can resit an individual politics exam, or do you have resit both exams next year ?
For the democracy 25 marker I wrote that the eu and devolution threaten parliamentary sovereignty, but only in practice, and that devolution raises the west Lothian question and strains the relationship between representatives and constituents if there are many representatives for a constituent I.e. In the London assembly, but then also in parliament, but then again no one cares about the GLA - I had maybe five examples - did I miss the point of the question? How badly did I mess up 😣
Original post by The_Dragon_
Would be a massive help if someone could tell me whether you can resit an individual politics exam, or do you have resit both exams next year ?

Yeah you can resit an individual and put it together with the exam that you did last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CheeseChaser
For the democracy 25 marker I wrote that the eu and devolution threaten parliamentary sovereignty, but only in practice, and that devolution raises the west Lothian question and strains the relationship between representatives and constituents if there are many representatives for a constituent I.e. In the London assembly, but then also in parliament, but then again no one cares about the GLA - I had maybe five examples - did I miss the point of the question? How badly did I mess up 😣

You didn't mess up! I mentioned the same things as you did ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbdurrahmanSufi
From what I can remember, I argued that it increased representative democracy because MEPs have a bigger platform to voice the concerns of the UK. I mentioned worker's rights/protection, human rights etc. that have been brought about as a result of the EU which balances against the tyranny of the majority, as the vulnerable get some representation. But, I said that it didn't increase representative democracy in that ministers within institutions are from other member states and so represent their own national interests. I also spoke about the legitimacy of the EU, and low turnouts at European Elections (UK is below average). I gave the example of UKIP having representation and that they were committed to pulling out.. so questioned their effectiveness of representing the UK as a whole. Also argued that many people don't know their MEPs.

Because the question asked about devolution and representative democracy, I also referred to devolution in Scotland.. the government being 'closer to home', being able to address local/regional issues better than central governments, low turnout (60%) in devolution referendum 1997 suggests lack of interest and legitimacy (of decision) but growing dominance of SNP in recent year shows otherwise. Briefly discussed the Scotland independence referendum 2014 and I went into EVEL as well.. discussed the Finance Bill 2016 as an evaluative point too

Hiya, your one sounds amazing!!!!! The book I revised from did not have anything about the EU or devolved powers. I have failed now
Original post by AbdurrahmanSufi

Posted from TSR Mobile

You didn't make the mistake and say the ECHR ( and thus HRA ) is part of the EU did you? I know many people who fell in that trap. Interesting comment about MEPs being able to argue for Britain on a bigger platform, I've always been critical of that point due to EU parliament being split via party not country. Regardless, good answer :h:
For the democracy 25 marker, I talked about:

How devolution has improved representative democracy:
Brings power and decision making closer to the people.
Therefore decisions are more accurate and representative of the people's views.
Prevented a certain type of tyranny of the majority; the domination of English MPs over other countries.

How devolution has harmed representative democracy:Adds another layer of government which increases bureaucracy and cost to the people.
Adds another election leading to election fatigue and apathy.
Both Welsh and Scottish Assemblies use AMS, which has representatives not accountable to any constituents.

How EU membership has improved representative democracy:Gives the people a representative on the international stage.

How EU membership has harmed representative democracy:Executive is not drawn from parliament or even elected. Only the unelected executive (European Commission) has the power to make and propose laws. Takes away the ability of elected representatives to propose laws. No one can be held accountable for failed laws in an election.
Adds another election increasing election fatigue and apathy.

Is this okay?
Can anyone tell me how I did?

Electoral systems question:
A) how do elections and referendums differ

Elections are representitive but referendums are not
Example of a referndum using direct and example of representivie

Elections are used to vote in candidates where as referndums are used to solve constitutional issues
Example of conservative party against the eu referndum

B) they enhance democracy by being free and fair
Means democracy is enhanced as their is the freedom to vote for whichever candidate you like
E,g westminster election

Also enhance democracy by the stv system being proportional
Democracy is increased as better representation
Northern irish local elections use this

Democracy is enhanced as they provide political participation
Direct in referndums and relresentivie in alternative vote

C) AV
Hiw it works and operates, where its used in labour electio
Claimed merits
Disadvantages and assessment, mentioned how milband won withiut the most first choice vites

FPTP
Where its used
Why it is credited for strong governments
Why is is unrepresentitive with safe seats, gave figures on ukip only gaining a seat in 2015. Also mentioned how strong governmenta dont always work from the 2010 coalition

Stv
Why its is good, its operation how its proportional
Used in northern ireland
Bad for single governments

Conclusion which system is best to me

Pressure Groups:

A) fucntion to educate
Function to represent
With examples of grouos and explanations

B) why do they use illegal methods?
Explanations and examples for each:
-personal beleifs
-purposely do not want to be insider
-mobilise the oublic
-public awareness and attention

C) paragraph they change because of increased soze.
Then a oaragraoh how size does nit matter with examples.

Power has remained because of the more outsidegroups
Paragraoh hiw tis can mean power has changed as it decreased

Paragraph in how iutsider grouos can cause great influence on people
Used former pressure groubritian first stirring up islamic hatred and infkuencing anti terroism legislation due to it.

Psragraph on how power has also increased because theres an environment where a diverse range of grouos can be established- questionable groups like forest who promote smoking have the ahility to influecne and this is why power of pressure grouos have increased.

I feel like i did nit very well on my essay fir oressure groups.what do you guys think?
I'VE LOST 5 MARKS!! I basically said the two features of parliamentary democracy were 1)free and fair elections 2)Free media
Original post by The_Dragon_

pretty sure u can just resit one paper in November this year?
Original post by itsmeleonie
pretty sure u can just resit one paper in November this year?

They don't do November ones anymore sadly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending