The Student Room Group

Why are old people allowed to vote on the EU referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I believe its this thing called democracy...
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Yes everyone has the right to vote.

Plus older people are considered more wise so should really be making better decisions.

You could just as easily say that 'older people' are the reason the country is the mess that it is, so they can't really be trusted to make the right decisions. Just throwing that out there
Well mainly because there isn't an electoral register which excludes them. On that note the spineless Cameron has however capitulated once again to the fruitcakes and disenfranchised actual EU migrants who will be affected most starkly. Commonwealth immigrants and people in Ireland, Malta and Cyprus who have never even set foot in the UK will be able to vote though.
Firstly a lot of people are assuming that older people are more intelligent. However, our generation is actually far more educated so of course young people's votes should be valued! We also come from a more tolerant society in general.

That being said, can you not imagine the outcry if a group weren't allowed to vote?! It's simply undemocratic, and democracy is one thing Britain can pride themselves on. When the voting age was extended to 16 in Scotland, the general turn out was much greater, and I doubt many people would want to be part of something that excluded several groups, especially as someone aged 65 and retired could easily live for 30 more years in this day and age, so are hardly 'almost dead'
Original post by scrotgrot
Well mainly because there isn't an electoral register which excludes them. On that note the spineless Cameron has however capitulated once again to the fruitcakes and disenfranchised actual EU migrants who will be affected most starkly. Commonwealth immigrants and people in Ireland, Malta and Cyprus who have never even set foot in the UK will be able to vote though.

Eh?
(edited 7 years ago)
maybe because we don't the f**kwad majority of millennials to keep sucking out the gallstones of cameron and co. remain campaign
Young people change their mind as they get older. Old people have experience. Old people also hold more wealth that is at risk.
Norway, and I believe also Iceland, are part of Schengen, they have to abide by all of the EU's laws and regulations while getting no say in making them, and they pay into the EU.

Therefore I do ask that you consider what I have said. The older generation are better informed and wiser. They remember joining the EU, and food prices resultantly going up. You seem to have not realised that students may have an excellent grasp on thermodynamics, but a very poor one on the economy. As a student, I come into frequent contact with other students, and often find them poorly informed of politics and easily swayed by unworkable left-wing policies. (Let's turn all the guns into windmills!) (Though I think it is interesting that all of the brightest students, the entirety of my further maths classes, etcetera are pro-Brexit. A small sample size of about 15, of-course, a coincidence perhaps of 0.5^15 to disregard group-think in this group of highly non-conformist rationals.)

There's more to education than being informed. People with a decent education are more able to think critically, evaluate evidence and show scepticism. The number of blatant lies being put out by Vote Leave, and then being repeated ad nauseam by their lemmings, is absolutely horrifying. A ten second Google search would show that, for example, we DON'T give £55million/day to the EU, Turkey is NOT joining the EU, we are NOT a part of the Schengen free movement zone - just a few of a barrage of lies being spoonfed to these morons - and yet people take what they read in the Murdoch tabloids or from their Facebook friends and decide that it's fact, without making the tiniest effort to verify. It never even seems to occur to these people that newspapers owned and run by a man who said he wants to leave the EU because, direct quote: "When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice", or billboards paid for by the Vote Leave campaign, might not be the best source for accurate information.

Though perhaps I over-indulged you in a serious reply as you have given no evidence or source, but a qualitative statement of your opinion. I disbelieve it anyway. Most students spend more time on Facebook than studying it seems, and the school-level maths curriculum is far poorer today than it was in the 70's, for example. I'd like to see a counter response.

National Literacy Trust, 2012: Attainment in literacy in the UK is rising steadily.

National Statistics 2015: Participation in higher education has risen from 39% in 1999 to 46% in 2013.

NFER 1997: Reading, writing and spelling in Year 6 pupils all rose between 1979-1988. Functional illiteracy estimates fell from 13% in 1991 to 6% in 1995.
Hahahah people in here are thick. How can you disagree with a question, I wanted an answer not an opinion. It's clearly going to affect younger people more, I didn't state "old people shouldn't be allowed to vote" you imbeciles, I asked why. It does not affect every single person able to vote the exact same, so it's a completely valid question.
It's more worrying that people are voting to ruin everything simply because they don't like Cameron so they want to disagree with him.

Old people think they're being patriotic but they're just racist let's be honest leaving the EU will do nothing to immigration numbers, despite the fact that on average immigrants claim less benefits than british people and they clearly add to the economy.
People that say "U mad brah" :facepalm:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
People that say "U mad brah" :facepalm:

I'm a bit out of touch. What is a 'mad brah'? is it one boys wear ?
I agree
Reply 33
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Hahahah people in here are thick. How can you disagree with a question, I wanted an answer not an opinion. It's clearly going to affect younger people more, I didn't state "old people shouldn't be allowed to vote" you imbeciles, I asked why. It does not affect every single person able to vote the exact same, so it's a completely valid question.

And here we have perhaps a good example of why some young people are perceived to not be mature enough for making such important decisions themselves.
To be fair, if prisoners are allowed to vote then so should elderly people. Also if we were to ban elderly people voting, what would be the cut off age and why? If we start excluding people from voting, then where will it stop?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bullseye1
To be fair, if prisoners are allowed to vote then so should elderly people. Also if we were to ban elderly people voting, what would be the cut off age and why? If we start excluding people from voting, then where will it stop?

We already do exclude people from voting… you have to be eligible to get a vote
I do think you have a point, at least they should allow 16-17 year olds to vote on these matters as well because in long term, we will be most affected by the decision. Also, older people have a higher voter turnout than the younger generations so they likely will decide a lot of the result despite it not effecting them as much in long term. :redface: But, I do think it's important that the elderly vote, they've contributed to the economy all their life and deserve to be treated well as a result. I just think 16-17 year olds should be able to vote too, here in Scotland 16-17 year olds are entitled to vote and many from my school were talking about politics, taking an interest in the elections this year and people were actually taking voting seriously. We must stop undermining our intelligence as an age group, there are idiots in every age group. :smile:
Original post by BrianMcEgg
We already do exclude people from voting… you have to be eligible to get a vote

Yes I know that, we have those rules in place for a reason, but my point is if prisoners can vote then elderly people should be able to as well.
Is this a valid question (in your eyes) you are asking, or did you ask it just to wind people up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending