The Student Room Group

Muslims: what do you think of Muslims who drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

How did this shift from Alcohol to Ramadan? Also, it has been proved that fasting is indeed good for the body and yes, some people are exempt from fasting ( menstruating women, those who are ill, children, those travelling, high-demanding jobs like surgeons have etc.).
Reply 21
I've got no problems on a religious level as I know quite a few Muslims who drink myself. However generally I believe alcohol does way more harm than good, purely judging from what I've learned in biology about the liver and how it leads to fatty liver disease but also health issues aside, if you get drunk you're not really in full control of yourself. Some Muslim men I know come home drunk late at night and hurt their wives and kids, they're remorseful in the morning but obviously it's an issue that needs to be taken care of.
haraam police heyho

but seriously, it's their choice
You can't judge what is in their heart but u can judge by what is apparent...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
I can link random websites too and quote from them:*

"Dehydration is common during a fast. The body continues to lose water and salts through breathing, perspiring and urinating."

"Lack of food and water, changes of routine and shorter periods of sleep can cause stress. "

"People who regularly inject insulin are advised not to fast, as the potential risk to health both in the short and long term of not taking insulin is too great. People who have their diabetes under control using tablets should seek careful advice from their GP before starting a fast."

*I even found the same nhs livewell website that you used. How silly do you look now?

Lol, ok i'll analyse everything:

firstly, one of your websites states this anyway:
The control of heartburn or belching can be aided by eating in moderation
(if you didn't know, Ramadan isn't the month of starving, we do eat in the morning)

Your dehydration link is a sweeping generalisation- have you looked into fasting? If someone's dehydrated they can break their fast?? The same goes with stress- if you feel uncomfortable during a fast, then you can break it? We're not purposely harming ourselves.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/faqs.aspx

It's well known in Muslim communities people with diabetes don't fast- lol it's pretty logical? Do you think people with severe health risks fast? They certainly don't have to.
Reply 25
Original post by inhuman
I can link random websites too and quote from them:*

"Dehydration is common during a fast. The body continues to lose water and salts through breathing, perspiring and urinating."

"Lack of food and water, changes of routine and shorter periods of sleep can cause stress. "

"People who regularly inject insulin are advised not to fast, as the potential risk to health both in the short and long term of not taking insulin is too great. People who have their diabetes under control using tablets should seek careful advice from their GP before starting a fast."

*I even found the same nhs livewell website that you used. How silly do you look now?

That's why you drink a lot of water between breaking and starting a fast. If you sleep through those hours it is forbidden for you to carry on fasting the next day. If you get dehydrated during the day and feel faint you have to break your fast.

Everything causes stress, people sleep longer during ramadan (take more naps and stuff)

Diabetics are to avoid fasting due to the medication they need to take, and it's unhealthy for them not to take it. My mum's diabetic I should know :tongue:

just sayinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Original post by inhuman
Alcohol is harming your body but drinking nothing all day in hot countries isn't? :rolleyes:

Fasting doesn't damage your organs or kill you.
Reply 27
Original post by IRoranth
Lol, ok i'll analyse everything:

firstly, one of your websites states this anyway:
The control of heartburn or belching can be aided by eating in moderation
(if you didn't know, Ramadan isn't the month of starving, we do eat in the morning)

Your dehydration link is a sweeping generalisation- have you looked into fasting? If someone's dehydrated they can break their fast?? The same goes with stress- if you feel uncomfortable during a fast, then you can break it? We're not purposely harming ourselves.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/faqs.aspx

It's well known in Muslim communities people with diabetes don't fast- lol it's pretty logical? Do you think people with severe health risks fast? They certainly don't have to.

My websites? I took the one you quoted from...what the actual f.

But then you are not actually fasting, are you. I just eat when my stomach makes me feel bad. I drink when I am actually not thirsty, well at work anyway, in a pub you might drink for indulgence.
Reply 28
Original post by yasminkattan
Fasting doesn't damage your organs or kill you.

It does both of those if done in excess. Same way with alcohol...
Original post by inhuman
My websites? I took the one you quoted from...what the actual f.

But then you are not actually fasting, are you. I just eat when my stomach makes me feel bad. I drink when I am actually not thirsty, well at work anyway, in a pub you might drink for indulgence.

I'm talking about the part of the website you linked me to.

It's not as simple as that- the whole point of Ramadan is to gain a strong willpower and closeness to God, and yeah you'd only be cheating yourself if you know you can bear the measly little stomach pain or thirst, and you still break your fast- you can still make up for these later though.

Also, side note: there's a difference between thirst and dehydration.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Hibzish

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by inhuman
Alcohol is harming your body but drinking nothing all day in hot countries isn't? :rolleyes:

If it is harmful for you, or causes you to begin to feel unwell, it is permissible for you to break your fast/ not keep it, also not taking in any food or water for the hours that are given cleanses out your body, toxins that would otherwise not be able to leave if regular consumption was occurring. And not drinking for upto 16 hours, isn't really going to harm your body, unless you are weak, in which case you don't have to fast, I suggest you do your research before trying to make snide remarks 😊😊😊
Reply 32
Original post by a199
If it is harmful for you, or causes you to begin to feel unwell, it is permissible for you to break your fast/ not keep it, also not taking in any food or water for the hours that are given cleanses out your body, toxins that would otherwise not be able to leave if regular consumption was occurring. And not drinking for upto 16 hours, isn't really going to harm your body, unless you are weak, in which case you don't have to fast, I suggest you do your research before trying to make snide remarks 😊😊😊

How can you tell it is being harmful to you? What if you can't?
Reply 33
Original post by inhuman

Bro can you please drop this topic?

My thread is supposed to be about Muslims drinking alcohol, nothing to do with fasting or Ramadan.
Reply 34
Original post by Hibzish

What exactly do you mean by 'what is apparent'?
Reply 35
Original post by inhuman

Fasting is not a disease, in which you may gain effects that are not clearly visible, think about it, let's say only healthy people fast, the likelihood of them falling ill is not very likely, if dehydration does occur, the fast was poorly managed, enough time is given for you to drink sufficient volumes of water in order to keep you going throughout the day, if however something does happen, how you suggested you don't know that there is a problem, but there is a problem there, well as for that I am no doctor, but think about it, the main problems that can occur are only diet based, so lack of certain nutrients, which is again due to ill management, fasting is more than just staying away from food, I guess the tolerance a person has in avoiding foods shows their true hunger and thirst for good in the hereafter, more so than just a bag of chips 😃😃
Reply 36
Original post by eden3
Bro can you please drop this topic?

My thread is supposed to be about Muslims drinking alcohol, nothing to do with fasting or Ramadan.

It is wholly relevant to see Muslims judge one activity but defend another. Not to mention it has vastly increased the visibility of your thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by inhuman
It is wholly relevant to see Muslims judge one activity but defend another. Not to mention it has vastly increased the visibility of your thread, so stop whining.

Lol wtf? A lot of Muslims on here (if not most) said they don't care/would not judge another Muslim for drinking. So you're blatantly spouting bullsh*t. The other activity is them practising their religion. Which is none of your concern.

Idgaf about the visibility of my thread. This thread was directed towards Muslims, not you. If you are going to act like a complete dick when I speak to you politely then by all means, gtfo out of my thread and don't bother posting in my threads in the future.

Welcome to my ignore list. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by eden3
Lol wtf? A lot of Muslims on here (if not most) said they don't care/would not judge another Muslim for drinking. So you're blatantly spouting bullsh*t. The other activity is them practising their religion. Which is none of your concern.

Idgaf about the visibility of my thread. This thread was directed towards Muslims, not you. If you are going to act like a complete dick when I speak to you then by all means, gtfo out of my thread and don't bother posting in my threads in the future.

Welcome to my ignore list. :smile:

Thanks bro, I wear it with a badge of honor :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by Kraixo
They sin differently to me.

“And whoever does evil or wrongs himself but afterwards seeks Allaah’s forgiveness, he will find Allaah Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Nisa’ 4:110]

Just putting this out there- there are some sins which are bigger than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending