The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farida Jan
Guys what what do you predict would come up in unit 3 paper for sleep,relationship and eating behaviour

For eating it could be
*factors effecting eating
*Neural mechanisms
*biological explanations

*cries*
Anyone else going by just all the predicition? I feel there isn't much time to spend equally at this point. Rather spend as much as possibile on the likest ones. I am gonna try to read over the others but I just feel there is soooo much content that it's impossibile to do lol
Original post by HWhitney324
For the role of neural mechanisms in eating behaviour, is it still okay if I talk about the dual control theory (like homeostasis, glucose levels, LH and VMH) even though it has since been proved incorrect?

Yeah, because it's just a theory not a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many pieces of research should there be in an essay? I usually put two but I'm not sure that's enough? I do also add other general evaluation and IDA points too though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering, when people put their grades down, it looks like most of you are predicted to get one grade higher than you achieved last year at AS, eg. AS = B, A2 = A. Why is this, what makes schools think you will do any better than last year? I'd argue it's harder this year because it is much more essay based, but even if not, it certainly isn't any easier. At my college they will never predict you a grade higher than what you got at AS unless you were extremely close to the next grade boundary or you had serious circumstances that meant you couldn't perform as well as you could have done! Sorry, kinda irrelevant but to me it seems like colleges are giving students false hope, and if all of you really do do much better this year, your grade won't actually be affected because the grade boundaries are relative to how well everyone else does.

Sorry I realise I sounds like a kill-joy! But honestly I'm just interested about the reasons for these types of predictions, since they seem so common!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hihihi123
HELP PLEASE!!! For neural mechanisms in eating is it okay to talk about just homeostasis as one explanation then the role of the lateral hypothalamus as another?

For me I feel as though the lateral hypothalamus, ventromedial hypothalamus and homeostasis can all go together just because they're so linked. Like homeostatic mechanisms all happen in the hypothalamus anyway. Maybe combine them unless you have specific AO2/3 for each explanation
Original post by bullseye1
Just wondering, when people put their grades down, it looks like most of you are predicted to get one grade higher than you achieved last year at AS, eg. AS = B, A2 = A. Why is this, what makes schools think you will do any better than last year? I'd argue it's harder this year because it is much more essay based, but even if not, it certainly isn't any easier. At my college they will never predict you a grade higher than what you got at AS unless you were extremely close to the next grade boundary or you had serious circumstances that meant you couldn't perform as well as you could have done! Sorry, kinda irrelevant but to me it seems like colleges are giving students false hope, and if all of you really do do much better this year, your grade won't actually be affected because the grade boundaries are relative to how well everyone else does.

Sorry I realise I sounds like a kill-joy! But honestly I'm just interested about the reasons for these types of predictions, since they seem so common!

I think they predicted a grade higher for people to meet their uni grade requirements (my school did that) but it doesn't help lol because you probably won't meet it. Although, some unis accept people with grades lower than predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assume it's because you can't get an A* at AS, yet can at A2, so they bump the predicted grades up by one - if you got an A, the best possible grade at AS, they predict you would repeat this with an A* at A2, and so on
Reply 2408
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked but there's so many posts.
What are the predictions for..
Relationships
Aggression
Perception

???
Original post by BMLFW
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked but there's so many posts.
What are the predictions for..
Relationships
Aggression
Perception

???

Relationships I'm pretty sure is dissolution, formation, sexual selection and culture
Original post by HWhitney324
For me I feel as though the lateral hypothalamus, ventromedial hypothalamus and homeostasis can all go together just because they're so linked. Like homeostatic mechanisms all happen in the hypothalamus anyway. Maybe combine them unless you have specific AO2/3 for each explanation

I do- I have specific A02 for the role of homeostasis and specific a02 for the role of lateral hypothalamus, is that okay?
Original post by brown_eyes
I think they predicted a grade higher for people to meet their uni grade requirements (my school did that) but it doesn't help lol because you probably won't meet it. Although, some unis accept people with grades lower than predicted?

Yeah I've heard of colleges doing that, I think mine did if someone really needed it for their UCAS application but like you said, there isn't much point to that because then their essentially predicting you a grade higher than they actually think you'll get, if you have to ask them to change your predicted grade to a higher one, and you're unlikely to get it! It's possible a higher grade predicted will motivate some people to work harder, but many won't or they just aren't capable of achieving their 'predicted' grade that they put down in their application.I really think colleges should be honest about predicted grades and not manipulate them so that students get offers from unis that they can't meet on results day.
Original post by adtr0706
Relationships I'm pretty sure is dissolution, formation, sexual selection and culture

For breakdown of relationships what two models r u using... I was gonna do rollie n duck and lee's model as well but it's so small. If a question comes up about two model how much do h think I can get my explaining one model in great detail n another ones in very little. 😁😁
Original post by adtr0706
I assume it's because you can't get an A* at AS, yet can at A2, so they bump the predicted grades up by one - if you got an A, the best possible grade at AS, they predict you would repeat this with an A* at A2, and so on

But the percentage needed for an A doesn't change from AS to A2, the % of people who get A are in the top 20%, B is top 40%, etc. because the grade boundaries are made so the same equal numbers of students achieve each grade. However, at A2 for an A* you have to be in the top 10%, instead 20% for an A. At AS, people who were in the top 10% got As because there were no A*s to get, but if they got the same mark at A2, they get A*s. Sorry it sounds really complicated but I believe that is how it works.
Does anyone know if you can use reductionism when referring to cognitive essays?
Original post by Nicobella12
Does anyone know if you can use reductionism when referring to cognitive essays?

Yeah you can I think, say it reduces something down to purely psychological processes and ignores the role of biology, genes, hormones or whatever.
What's the difference between reductionism and determinism?
Original post by emmappleby22
How many pieces of research should there be in an essay? I usually put two but I'm not sure that's enough? I do also add other general evaluation and IDA points too though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would aim for 4 especially because most studies arent very long hence youre not really demonstrating much knowledge. When you have long detailed studies you could cut it down to 3 but i wouldnt do any less. We were always told to do 4 studies.
For the breakdown of relationships, could we get away with only writing about Duck's 3 stages?
The other theory we learned about was the Social Exchange theory, and I only really know how to use that for maintenance.
Original post by Oiseaux
What's the difference between reductionism and determinism?

Reductionism refers to simplifying units and only looking at one aspect this can only be used in referance to anything biological, anything else we use the term limited. So if social factors were the only thing looked at its limited since doesnt consider bio factors.

Determinism is the process of trying to explain why humans do things and give a reason, e.g we form relationships because were similar. This deterministic because doesnt consider the factor we have choice and things arent predisposed ignores free will.`

Latest

Trending

Trending