The Student Room Group

Is it bad that he doesn't contact me while on holiday?

I have been seeing a guy for 2 months. During his first trip away, he responded to texts & then when I went on hol I was in a place with barely any internet & we didn't speak for 3/4 days.

About a month later he went on another trip & this time I didn't hear from him the entire time (Thurs - Mon). Then on Monday, he pops back up & is like "So how was your weekend? :biggrin:". By this time, I considered he was doing the fade out!

He went abroad to visit family on Friday and I told him to have a good trip. Since then I haven't heard a single word & he gets back mid-week. While at home he usually contacts me every day or every couple of days.

All I would like is a message to ask how I am or how my weekend was or something! Is it just me or is there something not right about this?
Original post by Anonymous
I have been seeing a guy for 2 months. During his first trip away, he responded to texts & then when I went on hol I was in a place with barely any internet & we didn't speak for 3/4 days.

About a month later he went on another trip & this time I didn't hear from him the entire time (Thurs - Mon). Then on Monday, he pops back up & is like "So how was your weekend? :biggrin:". By this time, I considered he was doing the fade out!

He went abroad to visit family on Friday and I told him to have a good trip. Since then I haven't heard a single word & he gets back mid-week. While at home he usually contacts me every day or every couple of days.

All I would like is a message to ask how I am or how my weekend was or something! Is it just me or is there something not right about this?

Maybe texts from abroad are expensive so he hasnt considered sending them
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Maybe texts from abroad are expensive so he hasnt considered sending them

He uses whatsapp so it's free...

I found it really strange the first time he did this but then thought nothing of it because he seemed fine when he returned home. But now he's doing it again.

Guys, wouldn't you want to check in with someone you're excited about? I think that's the crux of it. Feels like he doesn't contact me because he doesn't want to...

I found it really strange the first time he did this but then thought nothing of it because he seemed fine when he returned home. But now he's doing it again.

Guys, wouldn't you want to check in with someone you're excited about? I think that's the crux of it. Feels like he doesn't contact me because he doesn't want to...

Ah i see, if its a family holiday i can see why he could be busy. But if it bothers you, bring it up with him.

It's only free if you've got wifi all the time or have a good data package abroad - I know I certainly haven't.

He could be really busy if he's away though. If he's contacting you regularly at home, but goes away and doesn't, I wouldn't think that's weird
Reply 5
Original post by infairverona
It's only free if you've got wifi all the time or have a good data package abroad - I know I certainly haven't.

He could be really busy if he's away though. If he's contacting you regularly at home, but goes away and doesn't, I wouldn't think that's weird

He's staying with his parents and I'm pretty sure they have reliable wifi :wink:

Regardless, I will just hope get gets in touch when he is home. We had a nice date 2 days before he went away and he did say that he would be busy. It's difficult in the really early stages because you end up thinking any big gap in communication could be the end. Or at least I sometimes do, anyway...
So you go on holiday to a place with no internet and don't speak for 3/4 days and it is fine, but he goes on holiday for 3/4 days to a location where he may or may not have internet and it's an issue you're not speaking?

It seems like a bit of a double standard.

He's appears to be messaging you once he's back in the country, so I'm not really sure why you're so focused on him not speaking for short periods when he's abroad.

Incidentally, if we're going to jump right to the end conclusion of this crazy train and assume him not messaging = him sleeping with other girls, I'm still unsure what the issue is. It doesn't sound like you have an exclusive relationship? I mean you say you've just been seeing him for a couple of months.
Reply 7
Original post by Elivercury
So you go on holiday to a place with no internet and don't speak for 3/4 days and it is fine, but he goes on holiday for 3/4 days to a location where he may or may not have internet and it's an issue you're not speaking?

It seems like a bit of a double standard.

He's appears to be messaging you once he's back in the country, so I'm not really sure why you're so focused on him not speaking for short periods when he's abroad.

Incidentally, if we're going to jump right to the end conclusion of this crazy train and assume him not messaging = him sleeping with other girls, I'm still unsure what the issue is. It doesn't sound like you have an exclusive relationship? I mean you say you've just been seeing him for a couple of months.

He does have internet, I know that much.

Well I only didn't contact him because I was in the middle of nowhere with no internet. Not because I didn't want to speak to him.

I'm not assuming that at all. I know he's busy with family and friends. Neither of us are dating other people, but you're right, it's not a serious relationship yet. I guess I just wish he felt the need to check in with me a bit more & take an interest in my weekend etc.
He's staying with his parents and I'm pretty sure they have reliable wifi :wink:

Regardless, I will just hope get gets in touch when he is home. We had a nice date 2 days before he went away and he did say that he would be busy. It's difficult in the really early stages because you end up thinking any big gap in communication could be the end. Or at least I sometimes do, anyway...

I think you've answered your own question...he's told you in advance that he's going to be busy. To be honest, I think if you push this you're going to cause its end by yourself. If I had been dating someone for 2 months and told them I would be busy, and they subsequently were annoyed or whatever that I didn't contact them, I would find that very paranoid and clingy. Maybe your past experiences with relationships warrant that kind of mindset...but still, just chill out. It sounds fine.
He does have internet, I know that much.

Well I only didn't contact him because I was in the middle of nowhere with no internet. Not because I didn't want to speak to him.

I'm not assuming that at all. I know he's busy with family and friends. Neither of us are dating other people, but you're right, it's not a serious relationship yet. I guess I just wish he felt the need to check in with me a bit more & take an interest in my weekend etc.

I get you, we've all been there, I'm just trying to give a little bit of perspective. If he's busy with his family, it's entirely possible that he's just not had time/it hasn't occurred to him. If he's typically a good communicator except when he's on holiday with his family, I'd just take that as a win.

On the off change your suspicions ARE correct and he isn't interested enough to check how you are doing, nothing is really going to change that, so in either event I wouldn't worry I'd just do my best to have fun while he's away.

Ultimately if you decide he's not ticking your boxes then you know what do to.
Original post by infairverona
I think you've answered your own question...he's told you in advance that he's going to be busy. To be honest, I think if you push this you're going to cause its end by yourself. If I had been dating someone for 2 months and told them I would be busy, and they subsequently were annoyed or whatever that I didn't contact them, I would find that very paranoid and clingy. Maybe your past experiences with relationships warrant that kind of mindset...but still, just chill out. It sounds fine.

Nah, I'm not going to act annoyed when (IF :colondollar:) he gets back in contact. I am just curious to hear if other guys would act like this/not contact the person at all.

The worst part is that on our last date he mentioned today is his birthday...but I feel I can't contact him because he didn't respond to my last message!

I will try my best to chill out.
Nah, I'm not going to act annoyed when (IF :colondollar:) he gets back in contact. I am just curious to hear if other guys would act like this/not contact the person at all.

The worst part is that on our last date he mentioned today is his birthday...but I feel I can't contact him because he didn't respond to my last message!

I will try my best to chill out.

What? Just because he didn't respond, doesn't mean you can't politely wish him a happy birthday! The double text thing is really only if you're pestering him, but you're not. I think he would be really happy that you remembered.

Also, forget his actions on holiday. When I went on holiday, I had wifi, I still didn't talk to anyone - why? Because I'm on holiday, it's about relaxing time with myself and my friends/family. It's not about making small weekend talk with people back home. I get that you want him to miss you, and maybe he does. But he will respond when he wants to on his terms.
I rarely had my phone on whilst I was abroad. I did sent the odd text.

I really don't get your issue at all.
I go on holiday and I still make time for the people that matter! Nobody is too busy or busy 24/7 that they can't chat to you. Just bad manners and selfish! He's not worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending