The Student Room Group

OCR F451 2016 Computing AS

Just did a quick search realised no ones opened a thread for F451, im a resit so i just did the paper today. How did everyone find it? I think it was pretty good but i did run out of time at the end.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lool was i the only one who did this exam
I thought the paper overall was okay but I ran out of time for the last question which was annoying considering it looked easy for a 8 marker. Just a quick question, i wrote part of my answer outside the corner guidelines will the examiner still see my working?
Found this paper to be a lot more easier than last year but maybe worded slightly trickier.What did you guys put for the type of connection between the smartwatch and mobile phone.
I put Half-duplex as I did not remember studying any particular types of connections but other students said the put wireless/bluetooth.
Hated the 8 marker on natural interface vs menu based
what did you guys put for:

knowledge base
factors that must be considered for questionnaire
logical protocol

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was a good paper ... especially the number systems ... gift of 10 marks. but I hope it's marked properly because you know ... it's OCR ;p
Reply 6
I put bluetooth for the smartwatch connection one.for the natural language i just said that the english language has ambiguaties and that tourists may not be english literate so may find it more difficult to order. Also dont forget it was an applocation so menu based would be alot better since bigger buttons are better for touch screens. I also said how more english literate people would be restricted in the functionality and wont be able to add special requirements on their orders
Reply 7
Original post by jasmine9876

knowledge base
logical protocol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i may have gotten the main part of the knowledge base wrong but i did state that experts are interviewed and all data collected goes to the knowlege base, rules from rule base is then applied
Reply 8

knowledge base
logical protocol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ran out of time for the logical protocols part so i skipped it to the last question. For factors that must be considered for questionnaire i said.
- write questions which are not biased
-place boxes for the staff to check so there is no writing involved
- make sure the questions are related to the topic
I wrote some other things but i dont remember them.

knowledge base
logical protocol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Knowledge base I put getting information from the experts (bilingual staff) and then doing words and sentences and then translating them into other languages
Factors I put ensure that there is enough space between boxes
only multiple choice questions
no worded answer
mark made must be dark enough to be recognized by omr
Logical protocol I put protocol related to the data that will be transmitted e.g what type of error checing method is used ,parity,checksum etc
Yeah I wrote things very similar to you. What did you get for the symbols not showing up in the chess newsletter thing?
what about the character set/UNICODE question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah though that paper was quite easy compared with others. However, do remember that it was only us retakes that sat the paper therefore everyone will do a lot better than last time. As a result, the grade boundaries will probably be the highest it has ever been (maybe above 70). Don't wanna get anyone's hopes down but I think that's the reality of the situation.
Nevertheless, having said that they might not change the boundaries that much as they may base it on the difficulty of the paper as opposed to how well students did.
Anyway I thought all the questions were good apart from that layered protocol one; I've never come across that before...
What about everyone else, what was easy/difficult and if you can remember some questions/answers please share so we can compare :smile:
Ta
Reply 13
I'm not a retake student and took the exam... but did the AS and A2 this year so I'm guessing there won't be many other people who weren't retaking (if any).

For the legal requirements for a company I basically just wrote points about the data protection act, what did everyone else do?
UNICODE question I wrote a character set of many characters with many unique symbols and symbols from other languages. Each character has 16 bits in a byte.
Reply 14
Same difficulty as last years paper some questions where easier and some harder than last years. Guessing roughly same grade boundaries.

For the legal requirements about data kept question asking to state four things that can you say: Data must be up to date, must be accurate, must be secured eg encrypted, data cannot be passed/sold on without permission

Also the question regarding the design of questionnaire could you say consistent colours used to make it readable, text suitable size,not overload information making it compex etc and not biased

Would both these be enough for full marks?
Original post by Yousf
Same difficulty as last years paper some questions where easier and some harder than last years. Guessing roughly same grade boundaries.

For the legal requirements about data kept question asking to state four things that can you say: Data must be up to date, must be accurate, must be secured eg encrypted, data cannot be passed/sold on without permission

Also the question regarding the design of questionnaire could you say consistent colours used to make it readable, text suitable size,not overload information making it compex etc and not biased

Yeah the questionnaire was a bit weird, I tried to relate it to the OMR but there wasn't many points to relate it to.
Original post by Yousf

Yeah seems like enough for full marks
Original post by Pin1234
I'm not a retake student and took the exam... but did the AS and A2 this year so I'm guessing there won't be many other people who weren't retaking (if any).

For the legal requirements for a company I basically just wrote points about the data protection act, what did everyone else do?
UNICODE question I wrote a character set of many characters with many unique symbols and symbols from other languages. Each character has 16 bits in a byte.

There is a person in my class who's in the same situation as you but it's very rare so most people are just retake students.
what about the character set/UNICODE question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrote that UNICODE has 2 bytes per character and uses 16/32 bit. Is an extended character set and is not fixed size. Also that each character is represented by a unique code etc etc..
Reply 19
I thought the question on how the smartwatch can receive data from the mobile phone was incredibly vague.
Was asked with no context whatsoever, like do you mean serial/duplex or do you mind wireless???
It was a decent paper though, as its the last paper ever of the syllabus I feel like they just put whatever they wanted in there because some of the questions were really weird.
Who knows how well I did though, cos OCR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending