The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bat_man
Do we have to know how lahars & pyroclastic flows are formed/ created???

lahars are formed when lava mixed with mud, pyrcolastic flows are hot solid material and hot gases that are ejected at very high speeds from a volcano
Original post by jammypancake
Anyone just learning 3 out of the 4 topics?

yes I am, fee like our teacher has missed out half of the ecosystems spec so just going for my other three
Original post by Jamestanben
yes I am, fee like our teacher has missed out half of the ecosystems spec so just going for my other three

4? Why are people learning 4 topics?
Reply 963
does anyone have an example answer on the formation and characteristics of dykes sills and batholiths thanks X
Reply 964
Original post by Luis Suarez
For a 40 marker it will most likely be all of them points.

Thank you x
Original post by Danny.B10
it wont be partnership as that was last year

Oh was it the 40 marker? I don't do 40 markers for world cities so idk could come as a short mark question
Anybody know the responses to the Japanese tsunami in terms of Short run ( total aid received) and long run (how to refuce the death toll in the future)
Original post by maryox
does anyone have an example answer on the formation and characteristics of dykes sills and batholiths thanks X

Not all magma reaches thesurface of the earth and so therefore some are intruded in the crust asplutons. Batholiths, dykes and sills are examples of plutons which haveformed in the crust. Batholiths are largediscordant dome shaped features which can usually be around 10km2 long which contain coarse grains. They’re formed from the convergence of multiple plutonsforming granitic rocks. Around the batholith is a metamorphic contact zonewhereby metamorphosis of the surround rock can occur. Batholiths aren’tgenerally affected by the characteristics of the rocks they form on. Examplesof batholiths can be seen in Montana, USA.
Dykes are a type of sheetintrusion which cuts discordantly across the planar rock wall and formhorizontal cracks parallel to the surface from which magma has cooled andsolidified. An example of a Dyke can be seen in Midland Valley in Scotland.
Sills are tabular plutonswhich form between two layers of older sedimentary rock. Their orientation cangenerally be changed due to tectonic processes such as folding. The concordantfeatures form vertical cracks parallel to the surface (this is unlike dykes),this forms a passage for magma to rise and exploit.
4? Why are people learning 4 topics?

our school make us do 4 so we can choose whichever questions we want to answer
Original post by Hesterrose
our school make us do 4 so we can choose whichever questions we want to answer

Fair enough but surely that is an information overload, as if it wasn't already with 3? Out of curiosity when did you finish the syllabus because at our college we only just finished, with enough time for Geog4, and we did three hahaha
Fair enough but surely that is an information overload, as if it wasn't already with 3? Out of curiosity when did you finish the syllabus because at our college we only just finished, with enough time for Geog4, and we did three hahaha

It kinda is information overload but some bits interlink quite well and some people in my class are only gonna revise 3, but as there's some parts of weather and some parts of development I don't like so I'd rather have the choice depending on what the questions are.
We have a teacher for human and a teacher for physical so we finished the human side around 2 weeks before half term and physical a little earlier so we could fit geog 4 in
Does anyone have any predictions for World Cities and/or Development & Globalisation 40 marker ??
anyone got a resource to access all past textonic/weather&climate past questions?
Original post by bat_man
anyone got a resource to access all past textonic/weather&climate past questions?

Here's one for weather!
Anyone got any idea what might come up for this years paper (2016)?
Original post by jakesampson7
Anyone got any idea what might come up for this years paper (2016)?

Conflicts - Local resources haven't come up in a while and there's only been one 40 marker on poverty

World cities - Redevelopment has been up LOADS so i doubt it'll come up again but who knows. I think it'll be process of urbanisation so suburbanisation, urbanisation and counter urbanisation.

Plate tectonics - I'm think tsunamis and intrusive/extrusive features

It's all a guess though anything could happen.
Original post by MeganLittle98
Here's one for weather!

Thank you so much!
If a 40 mark essay on the causes of poverty comes up, can we use natural disasters say the earthquake of Hati because it's more plate tectonics that than conflicts?
Is basic and basaltic lava the same?
Can anyone share some example 40 mark essay answers or plans for development and globalisation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending