The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fleming1928
Apparently for non-biological we can say that it's limited and it still counts as ida?

Yes as i said limited can be used for all other theories you still get a03 marks.

Original post by elliotmercer
Although reductionism is particularly easily applied in biological theories, it is a broad idea and can be applied to a lot of topics. Examiners were just concerned that people were throwing reductionism in to everything and not explaining it properly as teachers were saying you could apply the idea everywhere without needing to explain why it is reductionist.

Nope it cant be applied to alot of topics its wrong, aqa have said so themselves, for anything else its limited, "‘Reductionist’ is still being used inaccurately by many students. It does not mean‘narrow’, it means fragmenting behaviour into smaller and basic units, and is best reserved for thebiological approach."

"Students need to select issues and/or debates and/or approaches that are specificallyrelevant to particular topics e.g. reductionism in relation to biological explanations of feedingbehaviour or gender development"
Original post by Gemma1896
Is that the order you will do it on Wednesday too?

Hahah no idea tbh, whatever q i see is the easiest ill attempt it first, but if not ill just do it the order of the paper.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yes as i said limited can be used for all other theories you still get a03 marks.

Thank you :redface:
If predictions are true they're gonna give us the most disgusting questions lol. It's all scientific -- genes & hormones for gender, neural & hormonal exps for aggression, classification issues w/ depression... EW
Original post by spacemountain
infidelity/jealousy, group displays, genetic. neural/hormonal

thank you! These are my favourite essays, so that's great news.
Nope examiners have stated that this is wrong and reductionism should only be used when talking about bio factors everything else you have to use the term limited.

I swear that's for determinism?
Original post by miajohnsonhall
oh is the batista family the imperto mcginnly study?

yup
Anyone else have handwriting issues? I can just about squeeze 4 sides in 30 mins (probs a minute over MAX) but its a matter of would I rather write the whole essay and leave the examiner bedazzled or write half of it with neat handwriting but potentially drop some marks
Original post by yung7up
Anyone else have handwriting issues? I can just about squeeze 4 sides in 30 mins (probs a minute over MAX) but its a matter of would I rather write the whole essay and leave the examiner bedazzled or write half of it with neat handwriting but potentially drop some marks

you should ask to use a l computer! i type my essays subjects, the psychology 24 markers usually is one page documet or just over in font size 11 x

Can you use the term simplistic instead of limited when referring to theories other than biological ones, as that's what my teacher always used!
Reply 2450
Original post by Hihihi123
HELP PLEASE!!! For neural mechanisms in eating is it okay to talk about just homeostasis as one explanation then the role of the lateral hypothalamus as another?

https://psychologya2modelanswers.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/jan-2012-discuss-neural-mechanisms-involved-in-the-control-of-eating-behaviour-8-16/
Original post by bullseye1
I swear that's for determinism?

Nope reductionism determinism can be used for anything.
Reply 2452
Original post by miajohnsonhall
you should ask to use a l computer! i type my essays subjects, the psychology 24 markers usually is one page documet or just over in font size 11 x

how? don't you have to have some sort of impairment? idek
Original post by ktmartini
Can you use the term simplistic instead of limited when referring to theories other than biological ones, as that's what my teacher always used!

I dont know just stick with limited as this is 100% acceptable im sure simplistic is but i would use limited.
Hey for genetic factors in aggression, should i outline how twin studies would demonstrate genetic influences? would this count as A01?
Original post by dpka1
how? don't you have to have some sort of impairment? idek

well im acc dyslexic, but i know people who use a computer in exams because their handwriting impairs the examiners ability to mark it accurately. if a teacher thinks your handwriting is significantly bad enough, they probs would have suggested it? but my college does have really good ALS stuff
Is there anyone here doing aggression that can give me feedback on my neural and hormonal mechanisms?
For the aggression unit and the evolutionary unit, how do you separate jealousy and infidelity? I'm struggling to see where the line is between them in some cases they are put together in the textbook/resources, and even how I have them laid out in my notes they look like basically the same thing. Under jealousy i have things like fear of cuckoldry and paternal uncertainty along with mate retention strategies, and under infidelity I have sexual coercion and violence and violence towards pregnant partners. There seems to be a lot of crossover there (e.g shouldn't fear of cuckoldry and violence towards pregnant partners be in the same category?). I just took what was in the only book that separates them (the dog book). Or should i just stick them together as some kind of 'sexual aggression' section like the other books seem to and forget about splitting them into infidelity and jealousy?

On another note, it feels like I'm the only one who isn't revising this by writing essays; I've written about one for each unit which my teacher gives a mark of between 17 and 23. I prefer just learning from notes and flashcards so I understand the content/theories and can remember the relevant studies and what they fit with, along with relevant evaluation points i can use to depending on the type of question (e.g discuss, outline and evaluate, evaluate research into...) I haven't seen anyone else revising this way but since I don't like writing the essays I just haven't done it, and don't really plan too. I got an A last year without writing any essays in preparation and my teacher hasn't pushed it as a revision strategy so I was quite surprised to see everyone talking about it here.
Does anyone have any sample essays on aggression - evolutionary explanations of group displays and evol. exp on jealousy/infidelity? In my textbook theres only like 2 short paragraphs on each and no research :frown:
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
For the aggression unit and the evolutionary unit, how do you separate jealousy and infidelity? I'm struggling to see where the line is between them in some cases they are put together in the textbook/resources, and even how I have them laid out in my notes they look like basically the same thing. Under jealousy i have things like fear of cuckoldry and paternal uncertainty along with mate retention strategies, and under infidelity I have sexual coercion and violence and violence towards pregnant partners. There seems to be a lot of crossover there (e.g shouldn't fear of cuckoldry and violence towards pregnant partners be in the same category?). I just took what was in the only book that separates them (the dog book). Or should i just stick them together as some kind of 'sexual aggression' section like the other books seem to and forget about splitting them into infidelity and jealousy?

On another note, it feels like I'm the only one who isn't revising this by writing essays; I've written about one for each unit which my teacher gives a mark of between 17 and 23. I prefer just learning from notes and flashcards so I understand the content/theories and can remember the relevant studies and what they fit with, along with relevant evaluation points i can use to depending on the type of question (e.g discuss, outline and evaluate, evaluate research into...) I haven't seen anyone else revising this way but since I don't like writing the essays I just haven't done it, and don't really plan too. I got an A last year without writing any essays in preparation and my teacher hasn't pushed it as a revision strategy so I was quite surprised to see everyone talking about it here.

Last year the exam wasnt just essays, so this exam is just 3 essays, hence learning small bits here and there will just make it harder to think and produce a written essay. Ive timed myself and if i take breaks and think i cant fit the 30 mins, but since ive memorized it its like a flow that is continuous.

Infidelity and jealousy arent going to be asked separately as they are linked together.

Latest

Trending

Trending