The Student Room Group

Official AQA New Spec AS Level Computer Science Thread - 6th of June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vanguardsean
I did mine in VB.NET, my programming questions were:
- Use exception handling in GetRowColumn to ensure the user entered the value of Row correctly

- Determine if a ship has been sunk(when a ship is hit, reduce ships size by one and when size = 0, display a message to the user saying ship is sunk)

-Added a one time use weapon called the torpedo that when fired on an empty space or a space with a miss, move up one row and only stop when it hits a ship or moves off a the board
Yes, the questions are the same whatever programming language you use.
Reply 41
I didn't find it too bad, which parts did you find difficult?

I don't even know I just seemed to have a mind blank so none of my programs worked so I automatically couldn't do the screen shots and just overall hated it, the theory bits were okay but the programming killed me and I ran out of time so yeah....😭
Original post by TwixKix
I don't even know I just seemed to have a mind blank so none of my programs worked so I automatically couldn't do the screen shots and just overall hated it, the theory bits were okay but the programming killed me and I ran out of time so yeah....😭

45/75 marks were for theory - as long as you showed some code in the EAD such as showing that you created the subroutines that they told you to create (it didn't even have to work to get marks) you should be fine :smile:
Reply 43
45/75 marks were for theory - as long as you showed some code in the EAD such as showing that you created the subroutines that they told you to create (it didn't even have to work to get marks) you should be fine :smile:

Hopefully, what do you reckon the grade boundaries will be like?
I got C and C for the first 2 questions, also how many marks was the question about the finite state machine and the type of data it accepts?
Original post by TwixKix
Hopefully, what do you reckon the grade boundaries will be like?

I reckon A ~ 55
B ~ 50
C ~ 45

It just depends on how everyone did overall - I based these off last years boundaries
Original post by lilyjacks
I got C and C for the first 2 questions, also how many marks was the question about the finite state machine and the type of data it accepts?

In total the finite state machine question was worth 5 marks
In total the finite state machine question was worth 5 marks

yeah so filling in the table was 3 marks and the question about the string of data was 2 marks?
i'm hoping 70% =A, 60%=B, 50%=C
yeah so filling in the table was 3 marks and the question about the string of data was 2 marks?

Yes
I did mine in VB.NET, my programming questions were:
- Use exception handling in GetRowColumn to ensure the user entered the value of Row correctly

- Determine if a ship has been sunk(when a ship is hit, reduce ships size by one and when size = 0, display a message to the user saying ship is sunk)

- Added a one time use weapon called the torpedo that when fired on an empty space or a space with a miss, move up one row and only stop when it hits a ship or moves off the board

Sound the same as the Python ones! For section A did u have a trace table, FSM etc?
Original post by brodingoson
Sound the same as the Python ones! For section A did u have a trace table, FSM etc?

Everyone got the same paper I believe, the coding tasks were just completed in different languages.
Reply 52
i'm hoping 70% =A, 60%=B, 50%=C

I think that's quite optimistic ahaah
Original post by TwixKix
I think that's quite optimistic ahaah

Sounds about right to me hopefully haha
What do you think an A will be?
Original post by TwixKix

Exactly same mate, it was a nightmare for me too.
Original post by TheDignified
Exactly same mate, it was a nightmare for me too.

Everyone in my class think they failed it. Even the best programmers think theyve got D's but that's because they didn't like the theory parts
Reply 56
Sounds about right to me hopefully haha
What do you think an A will be?

I would of thought it would be closer to 80% A but I've given up on the hope of getting anywhere near that😂
Reply 57
Everyone in my class think they failed it. Even the best programmers think theyve got D's but that's because they didn't like the theory parts

So glad I'm not the only one ahah, im thinking I got a D at the most, just hoping the theory is a nice paper tbh
Original post by TwixKix
I would of thought it would be closer to 80% A but I've given up on the hope of getting anywhere near that😂

Naa don't worry, an A won't be that high for a new spec. Unless everyone does really well
Original post by TwixKix
So glad I'm not the only one ahah, im thinking I got a D at the most, just hoping the theory is a nice paper tbh

Yeah just try and kill theory! That's what i'm doing to try and do well haha. The theory is no way as hard as the programming paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending