The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toetothunder
Is there anyone here doing aggression that can give me feedback on my neural and hormonal mechanisms?

Sure
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
For the aggression unit and the evolutionary unit, how do you separate jealousy and infidelity? I'm struggling to see where the line is between them in some cases they are put together in the textbook/resources, and even how I have them laid out in my notes they look like basically the same thing. Under jealousy i have things like fear of cuckoldry and paternal uncertainty along with mate retention strategies, and under infidelity I have sexual coercion and violence and violence towards pregnant partners. There seems to be a lot of crossover there (e.g shouldn't fear of cuckoldry and violence towards pregnant partners be in the same category?). I just took what was in the only book that separates them (the dog book). Or should i just stick them together as some kind of 'sexual aggression' section like the other books seem to and forget about splitting them into infidelity and jealousy?

On another note, it feels like I'm the only one who isn't revising this by writing essays; I've written about one for each unit which my teacher gives a mark of between 17 and 23. I prefer just learning from notes and flashcards so I understand the content/theories and can remember the relevant studies and what they fit with, along with relevant evaluation points i can use to depending on the type of question (e.g discuss, outline and evaluate, evaluate research into...) I haven't seen anyone else revising this way but since I don't like writing the essays I just haven't done it, and don't really plan too. I got an A last year without writing any essays in preparation and my teacher hasn't pushed it as a revision strategy so I was quite surprised to see everyone talking about it here.

i differentiate infidelity and jealousy in a01 and then it doesn't matter so much if you combine them for a02. the way i distinguish is jealousy is an emotion (thus can be irrational) which can be caused by suspected infidelity, whereas infidelity is the action, which in evolutionary theory may cause cuckoldry.
hope that makes sense!

and yeah i have the exact same revision technique as you! im memorizing along the lines of essay plans with key info
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
For the aggression unit and the evolutionary unit, how do you separate jealousy and infidelity? I'm struggling to see where the line is between them in some cases they are put together in the textbook/resources, and even how I have them laid out in my notes they look like basically the same thing. Under jealousy i have things like fear of cuckoldry and paternal uncertainty along with mate retention strategies, and under infidelity I have sexual coercion and violence and violence towards pregnant partners. There seems to be a lot of crossover there (e.g shouldn't fear of cuckoldry and violence towards pregnant partners be in the same category?). I just took what was in the only book that separates them (the dog book). Or should i just stick them together as some kind of 'sexual aggression' section like the other books seem to and forget about splitting them into infidelity and jealousy?

Jealousy --> sexual jealousy and mate retention strategies to prevent mate from straying, men get jealous as can fall victim to cuckoldry and have to invest resources in some other man's kid
Infidelity --> violence or threats of violence if infidelity is suspected, beating woman sometimes in attempt of abortion so they don't have to raise a child from another man

Yes it's a very thin line. But basically if you're talking about jealousy, talk about mate retention strategies, and for infidelity talk about actual physical violence.

On another note, it feels like I'm the only one who isn't revising this by writing essays; I've written about one for each unit which my teacher gives a mark of between 17 and 23. I prefer just learning from notes and flashcards so I understand the content/theories and can remember the relevant studies and what they fit with, along with relevant evaluation points i can use to depending on the type of question (e.g discuss, outline and evaluate, evaluate research into...) I haven't seen anyone else revising this way but since I don't like writing the essays I just haven't done it, and don't really plan too. I got an A last year without writing any essays in preparation and my teacher hasn't pushed it as a revision strategy so I was quite surprised to see everyone talking about it here.

I did that last year because in AS there are a lot of questions so you need to revise all the content and flashcards and stuff makes more sense. But this year I feel like planning out essays is going over the topics again AND having a full essay at the end of it.
i can send you mine with notes!
Original post by bmarek
Does anyone have any sample essays on aggression - evolutionary explanations of group displays and evol. exp on jealousy/infidelity? In my textbook theres only like 2 short paragraphs on each and no research :frown:
I sometimes worry about my handwriting in exams too but there's never been an issue and I know people with a lot worse handwriting who get by just fine aha
Original post by bmarek
Does anyone have any sample essays on aggression - evolutionary explanations of group displays and evol. exp on jealousy/infidelity? In my textbook theres only like 2 short paragraphs on each and no research :frown:

Our teacher gave out whole booklets on each topic with so much research and info. Love her
Original post by yung7up
Anyone else have handwriting issues? I can just about squeeze 4 sides in 30 mins (probs a minute over MAX) but its a matter of would I rather write the whole essay and leave the examiner bedazzled or write half of it with neat handwriting but potentially drop some marks

i have the same issue :l but i would go with the writing the whole essay as examiners can usually work it out as theyre used to a wide range of handwriting bc they mark so many and also they're probably teachers anyways :smile:
Reply 2467
I have one more essay to go over and its Vygotskys theory to cog dev its soooo boringgg
I just looked at an essay I wrote for gender roles and it's 1000 words FUKK how am I supposed to revise all that chit. What do I cut out :frown:
Reply 2469
Original post by toetothunder
Is there anyone here doing aggression that can give me feedback on my neural and hormonal mechanisms?

Send it me via pm
Reply 2470
Original post by кяя
I just looked at an essay I wrote for gender roles and it's 1000 words FUKK how am I supposed to revise all that chit. What do I cut out :frown:

Fukk I think most of my essays are 1,000 words I can actually write that in about 25 minutes 🙄 But yeah it's a lot to remember
can someone tell me the difference between ultradian rhythms and nature of sleep: Stages? I have realised that my AO1 for both of these is very similar, is it that it is all just ultradian rhythms??
Original post by rosieschofield
i have the same issue :l but i would go with the writing the whole essay as examiners can usually work it out as theyre used to a wide range of handwriting bc they mark so many and also they're probably teachers anyways :smile:

Yeah this has always been my mentality - they must mark a ton worse than this, so I should be good

If I have time I'll go back and change any totally unreadable words
(edited 7 years ago)
im really struggling to remember everything for aggression and im tempted to not revise anything social as it's come up recently? is this too risky?
Original post by NHM
Fukk I think most of my essays are 1,000 words I can actually write that in about 25 minutes 🙄 But yeah it's a lot to remember

I probably could write all that in enough time but it's so much to learn :frown:
Original post by adtr0706
Yeah this has always been my mentality - they must mark a ton worse than this, so I should be good

If I have time I'll go back and change and totally unreadable words

Damn how fast are you guys planning on writing hahaha

Why not just draw horizontal lines across the page and claim you were writing too fast and it's actually a really good 24/24 essay
Original post by bluefire66
can someone tell me the difference between ultradian rhythms and nature of sleep: Stages? I have realised that my AO1 for both of these is very similar, is it that it is all just ultradian rhythms??

my teacher is an examiner and she told us that they're the same thing so only learn one essay. no idea if it's true though
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Nope reductionism determinism can be used for anything.

How can determinism be used for a social approach?
Original post by кяя
Damn how fast are you guys planning on writing hahaha

Why not just draw horizontal lines across the page and claim you were writing too fast and it's actually a really good 24/24 essay

ahaha good idea xD
Original post by bullseye1
How can determinism be used for a social approach?

Thats so vague?? used for which aspect? what sectionof unit 3?

Latest

Trending

Trending