The Student Room Group

aqa economics

How should i structure a 12mark question, if you could provide as much detail as possible that would be absolutey great.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ricardo_va
How should i structure a 12mark question, if you could provide as much detail as possible that would be absolutey great.

1) For the Introduction, start off with a decision wether you agree/disagree with the options for the question, write just 1 sentence.
2) The main body of the answer should be normally 3 paragraphs 2 points supporting your argument and 1 against. Always show the other side of the argument.
3) For the conclusion, write your decision again with a point and explain why that specific point is the most important, try and make it just short of a paragraph. (There is 6 marks for conclusions).

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Obnox
1) For the Introduction, start off with a decision wether you agree/disagree with the options for the question, write just 1 sentence.
2) The main body of the answer should be normally 3 paragraphs 2 points supporting your argument and 1 against. Always show the other side of the argument.
3) For the conclusion, write your decision again with a point and explain why that specific point is the most important, try and make it just short of a paragraph. (There is 6 marks for conclusions).

Hope this helped :smile:

In regards to the conclusion, should include ethical issues/ potential fixes or suggestions on the fix?

also with the points for should i do 2 for and 2 against just in case or should i just stick to two for and one against?

For example this a answer i have written

I think UK producers should make more fair trade chocolate however there are reasons for and against.A reason for UK producers to make more fair trade chocolate is that it will reduce pollution in africa. The production of fair trade chocolate will allow for the farmers to have an higher income which will allow them to provide the farming with more environmentally friendly ways to crow crops causing a reduction in pollution of the environment.

Another reason for is that the production of fair trade will reduce unemployment in africa. Due to the increase of income to the farmers, more money is invested into the eduction of the community through displaying transfers. This will therefore provide the children with qualifications and a better eduction therefore they will be able to seek jobs better and have a better chance of employment and workforce for africa.

However the production of fair trade chocolate will increase unemployment in the UK. Due to the higher prices of the chocolate demand will decrease, which as a result businesses won’t be able to meet their employees wages and an outcome of this is that the business will need to cut back on the employees causing further unemployment in the UK.

In conclusion i think the UK should make more fair trade chocolate as this will allow for better development of africa and reduce pollution. The reduction of pollution will further reduce the health problems in the community allowing for a better workforce. However this will cause the price of cocoa in the uk to increase, further causing unemployment and potentially raising tax as more people will claim benefits. Furthermore government could supply subsides to the companies who create fair trade products so they then are able to provide wages to the employees.

question paper (3e)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-413011-QP-JUN15.PDF

mark scheme
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-413011-W-MS-JUN15.PDF
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
In regards to the conclusion, should include ethical issues/ potential fixes or suggestions on the fix?

also with the points for should i do 2 for and 2 against just in case or should i just stick to two for and one against?

For example this a answer i have written

I think UK producers should make more fair trade chocolate however there are reasons for and against.A reason for UK producers to make more fair trade chocolate is that it will reduce pollution in africa. The production of fair trade chocolate will allow for the farmers to have an higher income which will allow them to provide the farming with more environmentally friendly ways to crow crops causing a reduction in pollution of the environment.

Another reason for is that the production of fair trade will reduce unemployment in africa. Due to the increase of income to the farmers, more money is invested into the eduction of the community through displaying transfers. This will therefore provide the children with qualifications and a better eduction therefore they will be able to seek jobs better and have a better chance of employment and workforce for africa.

However the production of fair trade chocolate will increase unemployment in the UK. Due to the higher prices of the chocolate demand will decrease, which as a result businesses won’t be able to meet their employees wages and an outcome of this is that the business will need to cut back on the employees causing further unemployment in the UK.

In conclusion i think the UK should make more fair trade chocolate as this will allow for better development of africa and reduce pollution. The reduction of pollution will further reduce the health problems in the community allowing for a better workforce. However this will cause the price of cocoa in the uk to increase, further causing unemployment and potentially raising tax as more people will claim benefits. Furthermore government could supply subsides to the companies who create fair trade products so they then are able to provide wages to the employees.

question paper (3e)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-413011-QP-JUN15.PDF

mark scheme
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-413011-W-MS-JUN15.PDF

Very good answer :biggrin:, keep to that structure and you should do fine, depending on how hard the questions will be in the exam. In your conclusion, try to stick to one specific point and explain that fully (only talk about the benefits of development or the benefits of reduced pollution, not both).

From my own experience, i would advise to practice conclusions more than the main body of the answer as it is the hardest place to get full marks and you are already good at making points and explaining them well.

In the conclusion, you don't need to write a solution/fix to the problem, but only explain your reasoning on why you think your certain point (e.g. fair trade produce will increase development) is the best, most important point.

I would only recommend 2 for and 2 against responses if it is a 14 marker and you are certain you will have enough time, as the second against point is not really needed.
Reply 4
out of 12 how many would you give it? and thanks for the amazing feedback its people like you that make others exceed their abilities from their own experience :biggrin:
Reply 5
out of 12 how many would you give it? and thanks for the amazing feedback its people like you that make others exceed their abilities from their own experience :biggrin:

I would probably give it 9 out of 12 (being harsh). You would probably get 6/6 for AO2 marks (explaining your points) and 3/6 for AO3 (conclusion) as it wasn't explaining one specific point and in not enough detail for top marks. Keep practicing exam technique, timing and conclusions and you should be fine.

No worries :colondollar:, I try to help others as much as possible as it helps other people understand something better which is a great feeling, so they can feel more confident in their exams which will very likely mean they perform better on the day.

If you need any extra help you can ask as I am sitting both AQA Economics exams this week as well. Good luck on Monday and Thursday:biggrin:.
Reply 6
Original post by Obnox
I would probably give it 9 out of 12 (being harsh). You would probably get 6/6 for AO2 marks (explaining your points) and 3/6 for AO3 (conclusion) as it wasn't explaining one specific point and in not enough detail for top marks. Keep practicing exam technique, timing and conclusions and you should be fine.

No worries :colondollar:, I try to help others as much as possible as it helps other people understand something better which is a great feeling, so they can feel more confident in their exams which will very likely mean they perform better on the day.

If you need any extra help you can ask as I am sitting both AQA Economics exams this week as well. Good luck on Monday and Thursday:biggrin:.

In regards to the conclusion i know this is a bit much but would you be able to write me a model Conclusion, explaining each segment and why you included it, because the structure i used in my answer was given by my teach but like you said its ineffective. maybe learning the structure you know will allow me to achieve top marks. I will be ever so grateful if you could, plus maybe its more practice for you too :wink: :smile: don't worry if u cant

This is also another answer i have written, i tried to follow your structure on the development of conclusion.

I agree that shopping over the internet is a good thing for consumers such as Jayne, however their are reasons for and against this.

A reason for is that their will be reduced congestion on the roads. when purchasing online the distributor will drive a single car in order to deliver consumers orders. Due to the fact that consumers won’t have to use their car to receive their product, reducing the amount of cars on the road and allowing for the easier flow of traffic. So if Jayne is to leave the house, she is able to get from A to B without traffic being a problem.

Another reason for is that consumers are exposed to a wider range and variety. Shopping online allows for a larger potential market as the internet it connected globally. This increase in market size also expels more products and products with different characteristics that she may have wanted.

However a reason against is that the consumers are more exposed to fraud. Due to online shopping having the need to take a payment online, users are required to enter their payment details which as a result pay the business. However the details can be intercepted by a hacker and used for other reasons causing a loss of money for the consumer.

In conclusion i think that online shopping is a good thing as this allows for a higher potential market for the consumer which also allowing for lower prices. These lower prices allow for saving of money which can be spent else where. Also shopping online further allows for reduction in harmful gases as consumers are not put in the position in which they have to inhale car fumes.

Is it any better? sorry to be a pain, i just really wanna do well, trying to aim for A*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
In regards to the conclusion i know this is a bit much but would you be able to write me a model Conclusion, explaining each segment and why you included it, because the structure i used in my answer was given by my teach but like you said its ineffective. maybe learning the structure you know will allow me to achieve top marks. I will be ever so grateful if you could, plus maybe its more practice for you too :wink: :smile: don't worry if u cant

This is also another answer i have written, i tried to follow your structure on the development of conclusion.

I agree that shopping over the internet is a good thing for consumers such as Jayne, however their are reasons for and against this.

A reason for is that their will be reduced congestion on the roads. when purchasing online the distributor will drive a single car in order to deliver consumers orders. Due to the fact that consumers won’t have to use their car to receive their product, reducing the amount of cars on the road and allowing for the easier flow of traffic. So if Jayne is to leave the house, she is able to get from A to B without traffic being a problem.

Another reason for is that consumers are exposed to a wider range and variety. Shopping online allows for a larger potential market as the internet it connected globally. This increase in market size also expels more products and products with different characteristics that she may have wanted.

However a reason against is that the consumers are more exposed to fraud. Due to online shopping having the need to take a payment online, users are required to enter their payment details which as a result pay the business. However the details can be intercepted by a hacker and used for other reasons causing a loss of money for the consumer.

In conclusion i think that online shopping is a good thing as this allows for a higher potential market for the consumer which also allowing for lower prices. These lower prices allow for saving of money which can be spent else where. Also shopping online further allows for reduction in harmful gases as consumers are not put in the position in which they have to inhale car fumes.

Is it any better? sorry to be a pain, i just really wanna do well, trying to aim for A*

Based on the mark scheme, you wouldn't get many marks for that answer as you haven't used the case study at all to make your points :frown:. There is no mention of hackers or pollution from congestion in the case study, it only mentions the fact that there is competition from online shopping (which results in cheaper prices) and the fact that Jayne's mum will become unemployed due to high street business losing money from online illegal downloads.

It is incredibly important to refer back to the CASE STUDY!!! It contains all the points you need to make a top answer and that is what the examiner is looking for. The case study is all you need for the answer, along with a bit of knowledge :smile:. If you can, try and refer your points to the specific Unit the question is from. For example, as this is Unit 1, I can refer to the personal lifecycle in my answers as it is relevant to the Unit as well as adding extra depth in knowledge and shows the examiner you know what you are talking about.

Please don't get discouraged about your answer, thinking that you cant get top marks as it would be fine if you knew that you had to refer to the case study. Just take this advice and keep practicing, you have all day tomorrow :biggrin:.

In regards to your teachers conclusion structure, I would advise to stick to what your teacher said to do if thats what he/she advises, especially if you are not 100% confident with the structure that my teacher told me to use. Your teacher knows better, i'm only a student lol.

Model conclusion for online shopping:

In conclusion, I agree with online shopping as it leads to greater competition. This is the most important reason, as it leads to lower prices for the consumer such as Jayne so she can save more money which is important as she is entering the young adult phase of the personal lifecycle, so any extra money she saves can be useful as she will most likely be in debt.

Model point for online shopping:

However, online shopping is bad as Jayne wont be able to compare consoles and try them out firsthand, which she can do in the shops. Also, she wont be able to get advise from staff in the shops to help her make a better choice on which console she buys. These options can help Jayne decide what console she wants and will help her save money if she spends it wisely, so she can have money left over to spend on games for her console.
Reply 8
Original post by Obnox
Based on the mark scheme, you wouldn't get many marks for that answer as you haven't used the case study at all to make your points :frown:. There is no mention of hackers or pollution from congestion in the case study, it only mentions the fact that there is competition from online shopping (which results in cheaper prices) and the fact that Jayne's mum will become unemployed due to high street business losing money from online illegal downloads.

It is incredibly important to refer back to the CASE STUDY!!! It contains all the points you need to make a top answer and that is what the examiner is looking for. The case study is all you need for the answer, along with a bit of knowledge :smile:. If you can, try and refer your points to the specific Unit the question is from. For example, as this is Unit 1, I can refer to the personal lifecycle in my answers as it is relevant to the Unit as well as adding extra depth in knowledge and shows the examiner you know what you are talking about.

Please don't get discouraged about your answer, thinking that you cant get top marks as it would be fine if you knew that you had to refer to the case study. Just take this advice and keep practicing, you have all day tomorrow :biggrin:.

In regards to your teachers conclusion structure, I would advise to stick to what your teacher said to do if thats what he/she advises, especially if you are not 100% confident with the structure that my teacher told me to use. Your teacher knows better, i'm only a student lol.

Model conclusion for online shopping:

In conclusion, I agree with online shopping as it leads to greater competition. This is the most important reason, as it leads to lower prices for the consumer such as Jayne so she can save more money which is important as she is entering the young adult phase of the personal lifecycle, so any extra money she saves can be useful as she will most likely be in debt.

Model point for online shopping:

However, online shopping is bad as Jayne wont be able to compare consoles and try them out firsthand, which she can do in the shops. Also, she wont be able to get advise from staff in the shops to help her make a better choice on which console she buys. These options can help Jayne decide what console she wants and will help her save money if she spends it wisely, so she can have money left over to spend on games for her console.

Omg thanks so much, i never knew i had to include context into my answer , my teacher hasnt really gone over structure that much, hence why im struggling that much. Ive only recently discovered ive been doing it wrong and she never corrected me.

Your absolute star bro/sis :wink:.. i wrote another answer a few mins ago, its not as strong but am i on the right track?. its the same paper just question 2c..

I recommend that the government should reduce university fees by 50% for student who study computer science, however their are reasons for and against this.

The government should cut uni fees for computer science as this will develop infrastructure. More students will want to go onto the course due to lowered price and as a result students will have more qualifications further meaning that employers will seek to hire the students further putting them into work. As the students obtain their wages they will pay income tax which will obtained by the government and used to develop the countries infrastructure.

Another reason why the government should cut uni fees is that the countries workforce will be better. The cutting back on uni fees will encourage people to pay and attend the course, further allowing for a push in their education. From this education they are then able to seek jobs and push money back into the economy, further benefitting the uk as the workforce is developed.

However the cutting back in uni fees will result in an increase of tax. in order to meet uni expenses, the government will need more money pay for these cuts. in order to obtain this money, an increase in tax will be paid causing further expenses to consumers and potentially putting strain on uni students as they are seen to pay for their own ‘needs’.

In conclusion i think the government should reduce Uni fees by 50% as this will allow for a higher benefit to country through an increase in infrastructure. the money paid through income tax that the computer scientists pay could preferably be funded back to university to decrease uni debt for other students taking this course further promoting the course will a reduced student debt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Omg thanks so much, i never knew i had to include context into my answer , my teacher hasnt really gone over structure that much, hence why im struggling that much. Ive only recently discovered ive been doing it wrong and she never corrected me.

Your absolute star bro/sis :wink:.. i wrote another answer a few mins ago, its not as strong but am i on the right track?. its the same paper just question 2c..

I recommend that the government should reduce university fees by 50% for student who study computer science, however their are reasons for and against this.

The government should cut uni fees for computer science as this will develop infrastructure. More students will want to go onto the course due to lowered price and as a result students will have more qualifications further meaning that employers will seek to hire the students further putting them into work. As the students obtain their wages they will pay income tax which will obtained by the government and used to develop the countries infrastructure.

Another reason why the government should cut uni fees is that the countries workforce will be better. The cutting back on uni fees will encourage people to pay and attend the course, further allowing for a push in their education. From this education they are then able to seek jobs and push money back into the economy, further benefitting the uk as the workforce is developed.

However the cutting back in uni fees will result in an increase of tax. in order to meet uni expenses, the government will need more money pay for these cuts. in order to obtain this money, an increase in tax will be paid causing further expenses to consumers and potentially putting strain on uni students as they are seen to pay for their own ‘needs’.

In conclusion i think the government should reduce Uni fees by 50% as this will allow for a higher benefit to country through an increase in infrastructure. the money paid through income tax that the computer scientists pay could preferably be funded back to university to decrease uni debt for other students taking this course further promoting the course will a reduced student debt.

A lot better, good job :biggrin:. The points you made are ok, but the main thing is that you can use the structure really well so the examiner clearly understands what points you are making.

If you keep to this structure of the small introduction where you make your point, explain your reasonings with 2 points for and 1 against, then conclude with why a specific reason that persuaded you is the most important reason, you will be looking great for structure.

In terms of context in the answer, its up to you on what points you make, but always try and refer to the case study as much as possible, even if the question doesn't specifically ask you to.

Good luck :h:.
Reply 10
Original post by Obnox
A lot better, good job :biggrin:. The points you made are ok, but the main thing is that you can use the structure really well so the examiner clearly understands what points you are making.

If you keep to this structure of the small introduction where you make your point, explain your reasonings with 2 points for and 1 against, then conclude with why a specific reason that persuaded you is the most important reason, you will be looking great for structure.

In terms of context in the answer, its up to you on what points you make, but always try and refer to the case study as much as possible, even if the question doesn't specifically ask you to.

Good luck :h:.

Thanks man, i honestly cant thank you enough, the quality of the feedback you give me is just astounding i really hope you do extremely well and not just in economics, on all subjects in general. I wish you well my friend, Good luck... im extremely good in maths so if you ever need help with maths or additional maths or further maths cause im doing all 3 this year, let me know, i guess thats all i can pay you back with.
Reply 11
Thanks man, i honestly cant thank you enough, the quality of the feedback you give me is just astounding i really hope you do extremely well and not just in economics, on all subjects in general. I wish you well my friend, Good luck... im extremely good in maths so if you ever need help with maths or additional maths or further maths cause im doing all 3 this year, let me know, i guess thats all i can pay you back with.

No worries lol, i wish you the best of luck in all your remaining exams and i hope you get the results you want.

I may need help in in Further Maths but they are my last exams on the 20th and 24th and i do AQA. If you do AQA, I would be very grateful if you could give me some help on some topics, but dont worry about it now, we have other exams to do first.
Reply 12
Original post by Obnox
No worries lol, i wish you the best of luck in all your remaining exams and i hope you get the results you want.

I may need help in in Further Maths but they are my last exams on the 20th and 24th and i do AQA. If you do AQA, I would be very grateful if you could give me some help on some topics, but dont worry about it now, we have other exams to do first.

Sure i honestly don't mind its the least i can do, what topics dont you like/struggle one? im doing aqa as well so were on the same page dont worry.
Reply 13
Sure i honestly don't mind its the least i can do, what topics dont you like/struggle one? im doing aqa as well so were on the same page dont worry.

I dont really know yet lol im only going to start looking at FM when all the normal exams finish as there are lots of days in between the FM exams to revise.
Reply 14
Original post by Obnox
I dont really know yet lol im only going to start looking at FM when all the normal exams finish as there are lots of days in between the FM exams to revise.

Oh, wait do you get taught it in school?
Reply 15
Oh, wait do you get taught it in school?

Ye a bit, he is a pretty good teacher but FM is hard anyway.

How did u find the Economics Exam??? Hope it went well for you:h:.
Reply 16
Original post by Obnox
Ye a bit, he is a pretty good teacher but FM is hard anyway.

How did u find the Economics Exam??? Hope it went well for you:h:.

it acc went really well, finished the exam most importantly. How did it go for you??

- with further maths, i have it to teach it myself, the school just provide resources. and guess what.... i friecking had to pay for my admission as well -_- but meh idrm.

My teach said globailisation is extremely like to pop up in unit 12 due to the things that came from unit 11 so just a little heads up.
Reply 17
it acc went really well, finished the exam most importantly. How did it go for you??

- with further maths, i have it to teach it myself, the school just provide resources. and guess what.... i friecking had to pay for my admission as well -_- but meh idrm.

My teach said globailisation is extremely like to pop up in unit 12 due to the things that came from unit 11 so just a little heads up.

Yeah i though the exam was really easy and i feel i answered each question really well. Im glad you found it easy, hopefully my structure tips helped you out :smile:.

Thats annoying about your FM why didnt the school provide it??

Im not sure about globalisation coming up though as it would mean there would be 2 sections on globalisation, which would be unusual but thanks for the heads up:biggrin:.
Reply 18
Original post by Obnox
Yeah i though the exam was really easy and i feel i answered each question really well. Im glad you found it easy, hopefully my structure tips helped you out :smile:.

Thats annoying about your FM why didnt the school provide it??

Im not sure about globalisation coming up though as it would mean there would be 2 sections on globalisation, which would be unusual but thanks for the heads up:biggrin:.

Im the only person in my year sitting the exam potentoally because they are struggling in core maths but since i achieved an A* in september they made me do further without telling me i have to pay.
Reply 19
Im the only person in my year sitting the exam potentoally because they are struggling in core maths but since i achieved an A* in september they made me do further without telling me i have to pay.

That sucks :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest