The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE history exam paper 06/06/2016

Hey I was just wondering what everyone thought of the exam. Also what questions did you pick for section 1 and 2? I do cold war and Germany.

Scroll to see replies

thought it was pretty easy, only part i struggled on were the last 2 source questions in the germany section but i still managed to get an answer down so :smile:
It was quite easy! I loved the cartoons, they were amazing. I chose Q3 (CMC) & Q9.

I was a bit struggling with germany depth study (QB) - useful...
Original post by sophia.f
It was quite easy! I loved the cartoons, they were amazing. I chose Q3 (CMC) & Q9.

I was a bit struggling with germany depth study (QB) - useful...

Yes I found the paper easy apart from the cold war cartoon of Ho Chi Minh as an octopus.:frown: It was so weird but I managed to make things up and put it down on the paper. I did Q3 and Q8.:smile: I am normally an A* student so hopefully I get the grade. The useful one was ok too, it was a little hard.:smile: What grade are you aiming for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Job738338
thought it was pretty easy, only part i struggled on were the last 2 source questions in the germany section but i still managed to get an answer down so :smile:

Yes me too I didn't like source B with people dancing.:smile: But I am sure you have still done really well.:smile:
I quite enjoyed the test. What points did you guys make for the Vietname compulsory question about why Eisenhower got involved in the 1950s? As I think I did it right but would like clarification aha
I LOVED IT!

I don't do the same sections as you; I do The Interwar Years 1919-1945 and Depth Study USA: Land of Freedom? 1945-1975.

The questions we had were amazing! Hope all of yours were great too.

I did question 3 (Nazi-Soviet pact) on the first section and question 8 (McCarthyism) on the second section for anyone wondering.
Original post by Raven Gallop
I quite enjoyed the test. What points did you guys make for the Vietname compulsory question about why Eisenhower got involved in the 1950s? As I think I did it right but would like clarification aha

I talked about the domino theory, the Red scare and the incident in The Tonkin Gulf with the submarine and the warship, what about you?
Original post by luke_stroud_
I talked about the domino theory, the Red scare and the incident in The Tonkin Gulf with the submarine and the warship, what about you?

I mentioned domino theory containment Truman doc and is politics talking tough on communism . forgot Tonkin but oh well I suppose it said 50's so maybe Tonkin doesn't count as Eisenhower also wasn't around then?
Original post by Job738338
I mentioned domino theory containment Truman doc and is politics talking tough on communism . forgot Tonkin but oh well I suppose it said 50's so maybe Tonkin doesn't count as Eisenhower also wasn't around then?

Oh yeah you are right! I guess the Tonkin answer is wrong, but i'm 100% sure the domino theory and Red scare are correct, and it was only an 8 mark question anyway so two developed points should be enough!
Oh yeah you are right! I guess the Tonkin answer is wrong, but i'm 100% sure the domino theory and Red scare are correct, and it was only an 8 mark question anyway so two developed points should be enough!

Yeh at the very least you'll be 7
Original post by lewlew011
I LOVED IT!

I don't do the same sections as you; I do The Interwar Years 1919-1945 and Depth Study USA: Land of Freedom? 1945-1975.

The questions we had were amazing! Hope all of yours were great too.

I did question 3 (Nazi-Soviet pact) on the first section and question 8 (McCarthyism) on the second section for anyone wondering.

The Inter War Years were brillaint but the Land of freedom Sources were quite difficult. What you write for the sources?
That paper was Okeh.
Original post by joshuah752
The Inter War Years were brillaint but the Land of freedom Sources were quite difficult. What you write for it?

The first source was about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and how when African Americans worked together as a community (Car Pools) they were able to achieve things.

Second source was Jim Crow laws and the Emancipation Proclamation of the slaves due to it being in Birmingham Alabama (southern state) and it being published in an article 'How far from slavery?'. It is obvious due to the laundry sign.

Third source was about an unidentified man who was brave which gained support from others. Had to compare with other people such as Thurgood Marshall, Rosa Parks, MLK etc.

Did you do question on McCarthyism or Mississippi Murders?

I said about domino theory/containment and I mentioned the red scare. But I also mentioned Diem Bien Phu as France couldnt fight the vietnamese anymore so they asked the USA for help, also how the USA felt they had to get involved (and I expanded it more) is that right aha?
The first source was about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and how when African Americans worked together as a community (Car Pools) they were able to achieve things.

Second source was Jim Crow laws and the Emancipation Proclamation of the slaves due to it being in Birmingham Alabama (southern state) and it being published in an article 'How far from slavery?'. It is obvious due to the laundry sign.

Third source was about an unidentified man who was brave which gained support from others. Had to compare with other people such as Thurgood Marshall, Rosa Parks, MLK etc.

Did you do question on McCarthyism or Mississippi Murders?

Oh right okay. I wrote about most except the Jim Crow laws and Thurgood Marshall. I did McCarthyism. But for the 10 mark i kinda wrote Chinas and Czeckoslovakias take over as different to the Cold war. Which one did you do?
Original post by Raven Gallop
I said about domino theory/containment and I mentioned the red scare. But I also mentioned Diem Bien Phu as France couldnt fight the vietnamese anymore so they asked the USA for help, also how the USA felt they had to get involved (and I expanded it more) is that right aha?

Yes that is right, message me if you want to discuss further answers!
Oh right okay. I wrote about most except the Jim Crow laws and Thurgood Marshall. I did McCarthyism. But for the 10 mark i kinda wrote Chinas and Czeckoslovakias take over as different to the Cold war. Which one did you do?

I did McCarthyism too.

I wrote about how events in Europe/Asia also enhanced the Red Scare more than the Cold War such as the Domino Theory, Berlin Blockade/Airlift and the Vietnamese War.
Then I went on to say how internal events made it worst such as the rise of McCarthyism, The Federal Employee Loyalty Programme (and HUAC) as well as Truman setting up the Truman Doctrine and Marshall Plan which people knew about therefore if their leader was obviously worried, they would be too.
After summing them up I explained that the Cold War was still a war even if just a war of words but it really posed little threat as neither the USA or USSR wanted war therefore internal and international events were more responsible for the Red Scare than the Cold War.
I did McCarthyism too.

I wrote about how events in Europe/Asia also enhanced the Red Scare more than the Cold War such as the Domino Theory, Berlin Blockade/Airlift and the Vietnamese War.
Then I went on to say how internal events made it worst such as the rise of McCarthyism, The Federal Employee Loyalty Programme (and HUAC) as well as Truman setting up the Truman Doctrine and Marshall Plan which people knew about therefore if their leader was obviously worried, they would be too.
After summing them up I explained that the Cold War was still a war even if just a war of words but it really posed little threat as neither the USA or USSR wanted war therefore internal and international events were more responsible for the Red Scare than the Cold War.

Makes sense. You did well. Hope you get A*
Makes sense. You did well. Hope you get A*

Sounds like you've done fine too. Wish you the best! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest