The Student Room Group

Muslim students of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone.

This thread isn't asking for debate or rebuttals... Please don't try to derail threads like this. If you haven't got an answer to the OP, that's fine!

Cheers!
Succccccc
Reply 22
Original post by Genialtropism
One last point actually; giving to the poor and actually experiencing the pangs of hunger for yourself, there's a difference in that. The difference being that you're indirectly putting yourself in their shoes by fasting, and so by doing this act, not only are you 'feeling' their hunger, you are creating a wider space in your heart to help them that bit more. Something that you won't understand until you fast for yourself and feel that glorious sensation of humility.

Good night.
Love this.
Instead of my usual donation to the Leprosy Mission, I am going contract leprosy and put myself in their shoes, so I can feel their suffering. I'm sure that it will make them feel a lot better that there is one more person in their condition.
Reply 23
Original post by z33
Screenshot_20160606-080325.jpg

:innocent: well I mean ... I'm not saying Ramadan and fasting is the reason but I'm just saying Muslims actually help the third world more than any other religious/ non religious group so why can't we fast in addition to that? :biggrin:
But when you take out the compulsory element of zakat, they probably give the least.
Remember that if it is compulsory, it is not "charity". It is a tax or levy.

Also worth bearing in mind that only atheists really give charitably, because they have nothing to gain or lose. Christians and Muslims do good in the hope of avoiding punishment/gaining reward.
Atheists do it purely because it is the right thing to do. No other reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have just two exams left but the fasts in our area are QUITE long! like 3 in the morning to 7 in the evening!. and the weather! it's just unbearable...it's usually 50 degrees outdoors. Hunger is really no problem, the thirst....
But InshaAllah it's going to be fine. We will all pass through it!
Best of luck everyone :smile:
Reply 25
Heyyy guys! How's fasting going? We have only a few hours left to go!
Original post by SuperHuman98
Revision plan whilst fasting?

I foolishly didnt really prepare myself for fasting, i kept thinking "ramadan will be next week" and then it suddenly appeared.

The thought of revising without snacks and water worrys me:frown: oh why did i take a break this weekend.

Gonna have to do as much as i can in the mornings
Have 3 exams left :/

You have 3 and COMPLAINING!
I HAVE 10
Reply 27
Don't forget Ramadan is the most blessed and holy month! So Allah (SWT) is looking out for us during this hard exam season. InshaAllah, everything we be fine and all will do amazingly well and pass!
Reply 28
i got my period so i didnt have to fast for history today, nor english tomorrow, nor geography after that, nor maths after that. so with all those me not fasting then i only have to fast for history2,history3 and geog 3 WEHEHEHEHEH YAY. but basically ill probs sleep during the day then have iftar and study at night
Original post by SuperHuman98
Revision plan whilst fasting?

I foolishly didnt really prepare myself for fasting, i kept thinking "ramadan will be next week" and then it suddenly appeared.

The thought of revising without snacks and water worrys me:frown: oh why did i take a break this weekend.

Gonna have to do as much as i can in the mornings
Have 3 exams left :/

I've got 10 in Ramadan. :frown:
I had a Muslim friend who said you didn't have to do it if you had specific reasons.. You only do gcse /a levels (for free) once so i think you shouldn't push yourself too hard. Hopefully you'll have a long life which will give you lots of opportunities to fast. Food and water are essential for thinking and doing exams, it'd really be giving you an unnecessary handicap

*sorry if anything i have said is offensive to your religion, please correct me kindly *
Reply 31
Original post by QE2
But when you take out the compulsory element of zakat, they probably give the least.
Remember that if it is compulsory, it is not "charity". It is a tex or levy.

Also worth bearing in mind that only atheists really give charitably, because they have nothing to gain or lose. Christians and Muslims do good in the hope of avoiding punishment/gaining reward.

I guess that's fair but the tax is only 2.5% of our annual income ... and I don't math but that can't be like £400 can it?

and yeah i admire that alot as I've said in a lot of my previous posts xP and I don't agree with the mindset that they only donate to charity to get a reward like what are we gold diggers ¬_¬ only worship God for his Heaven -_- but He knows our intentions I guess.
Original post by z33
Screenshot_20160606-080325.jpg

:innocent: well I mean ... I'm not saying Ramadan and fasting is the reason but I'm just saying Muslims actually help the third world more than any other religious/ non religious group so why can't we fast in addition to that? :biggrin:

Thought someone would jump on this.
Like I said, you can find any study you like to fit your narrative. If you actually read the study in detail you will notice a few things.
You cant compare apples to apples, 1. Muslims tend to give zakat only to Muslim charities (Top found was Muslim aid, take this out and they rank bottom) , 2. No link between Ramadan and charity donation, 3. Poll is not a great study at all, a poll on a website could have been submitted false entries, exaggeration on their actual donation etc.

A more detailed study was done via the National study of American Religious association found that when you actually compare apples to apples we find that 9% difference between Non believers and believers. This 9% quickly disintegrates when you factor in the amount Muslims spend on donating back to their religion and therefore where you classify that as charity is neither here or there.

A a study on a much larger pool and by actual scientists and economists found that in terms of children brought up as non religious were much more generous than ones which had a religion affiliated to them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11979235/Muslims-and-Christians-less-generous-than-atheists-study-finds.html
http://fusion.net/story/228159/study-religious-kids-selfish/

My point is proven here, theres no question that the study you linked had a correlation between Muslims and giving to charity, especially when it comes to fasting. I would expect you to read your sources before you just post them in here, I'm assuming you googled it and posted the first thing that fit your argument.

Like I said in my original statement. Both Muslims and non muslims give to charity. Simple as, there is no clear number we have or solid evidence we have where one clearly dominates over the other.

Like I also said, there is no link between Ramadan and this study as you clearly pointed out "I'm not saying Ramadan and fasting is the reason".
Original post by QE2
Remember that if it is compulsory, it is not "charity". It is a tex or levy.

I second this and forgot to mention this in my reply.
(Would rep but I cant)
I have 7.

Spoiler

Reply 35
Original post by Cobalt_

Like I said in my original statement. Both Muslims and non muslims give to charity. Simple as, there is no clear number we have or solid evidence we have where one clearly dominates over the other.

Like I also said, there is no link between Ramadan and this study as you clearly pointed out "I'm not saying Ramadan and fasting is the reason".

I only replied to this part of your post

"3. There is no evidence for people giving more on the basis because they have fasted and are "put in their shoes". Non muslims and Muslims a like both give to charity.

Heres the problem, people are more inclined to fast to feel this holy "glorious" sensation rather than giving what is needed to the third world. Selfish if you ask me"

I never said Non Muslims don't give to charity, why does it matter which charity they give to tho like people of all races and religions experience poverty so that point to me doesn't make sense. I was only responding to the bit I quoted where you said that Muslims were selfish if they were fasting to benefit themselves rather than giving the third world what they need when in fact they do whether it's obligatory or not they still give to the third world as well as fast - they ain't mutually exclusive.That was my point. And if you break your fast during Ramadan you have to feed 60 people so that's a direct link between Ramadan and charity/ helping the third world.

Like you said "you can find any study you like to fit your narrative"
https://philanthropy.com/article/Religious-Americans-Give-More/153973
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10885180/Religion-makes-people-more-generous.html
http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2014/06/bbc-poll-shows-that-religious-people-give-more-to-charity-than-non-religious-maybe

xP :lol:
my point wasn't "oh Muslims donate more than any other religious group shut up", my point was if Muslims donate a lot of money as a group to charity, why would you regard them as selfish (i.e. inconsiderate of others) when in fact they do donate a fair bit of money. :hmmmm:
Reply 36
Original post by z33
I guess that's fair but the tax is only 2.5% of our annual income ... and I don't math but that can't be like £400 can it?
It's not 2.5% of your income. It's 2.5% of your worth, including savings, pensions, investment properties, etc. For most young people it will be relatively small, for older people it will be more and for some it will run into many thousands.

and yeah i admire that alot as I've said in a lot of my previous posts xP and I don't agree with the mindset that they only donate to charity to get a reward like what are we gold diggers ¬_¬ only worship God for his Heaven -_- but He knows our intentions I guess.
I'm sure that many religionists do good for its own sake, but we often see them on here asking the question "Why are you bothered about 'X' when it doesn't affect you?"
Original post by Snufkin
I don't understand why people moan about this. It's your choice to fast, nobody is making you. If you truly believed that fasting was a cornerstone of your faith then you would do it willingly and not complain about any effects it might cause.

Oh don't be ridiculous as if you don't complain about things you choose to do. Hate it when people respond to others worries like this. Respond if you have something to contribute or be on your way- goshhh.
Original post by Saifbintahmed
Oh don't be ridiculous as if you don't complain about things you choose to do. Hate it when people respond to others worries like this. Respond if you have something to contribute or be on your way- goshhh.

This thread is 4 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending