The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'd like for the 12 marker to be on Bowlby's theory of attachment, Strange situation, Autism (D&E two explanations) or D&E two studies :colondollar:
Original post by rileystringer1
Nice!!!

I agree that there aren't any apparent ethical issues. If you're desperate for ethical points though, the experimental group were boys referred to his clinic so his priority was to help them and not to just use them as research objects. No names were published in his report = confidentiality maintained.

if you're desperate for ethics (i.e really need one more mark in the essay) then you could say that the boys didn't consent, rather their parents gave the consent for them... but I would only include this if you really really have to!
I'd like for the 12 marker to be on Bowlby's theory of attachment, Strange situation, Autism (D&E two explanations) or D&E two studies :colondollar:

autism or studies would be good :biggrin: actually, any of them would be good! I wouldn't mind practicals either, although they would be nice as short questions :tongue: for criminal I'm hoping SLT will come up and methods for treating offenders (even if token economy programmes will be the death of me!)
Original post by 08graya
autism or studies would be good :biggrin: actually, any of them would be good! I wouldn't mind practicals either, although they would be nice as short questions :tongue: for criminal I'm hoping SLT will come up and methods for treating offenders (even if token economy programmes will be the death of me!)

I find the crim studies really tedious so I hope explanations/treatments come up as oppose to studies. Imagine: D&E two treatments/explanations or one of each

That reminds me... I haven't done any research methods at l yet because I don't think they're important so I'll do some notes soon
(edited 7 years ago)
I find the crim studies really tedious so I hope explanations/treatments come up as oppose to studies. Imagine: D&E two treatments/explanations or one of each

That reminds me... I haven't done any research methods at l yet because I don't think they're important so I'll do some notes soon

yes yes yes that would be amazing! :biggrin: especially as if it was D&E both of them - you only need 3 marks for each one a01 and 3 marks for each a02

arggghhh I hate research methods! I'm okay describing them but I always seem to forget to link them to criminal psych :frown:
About half way through typing up issues and debates notes - so hopefully won't be too long!!
Imagine if a practical came up as part of a 12 marker... that would be my worst nightmare!
Also I predict that practicals/key issues will definitely come up (I do health and criminal)

I also think that alcohol/heroin in detail will come up but probably not the mode of action as that came up last year, more like tolerance/physical and psychological dependency/effects/withdrawal etc
Who's got unit 3 as their next exam? :smile:
Original post by Jablonski
Who's got unit 3 as their next exam? :smile:

Mee I'm feeling okay about it though haha it's unit 4 I'm worried about because I have a politics exam the same day
For unit 4 do we need to know detail about the DSM? I know we need to know issues with diagnosis using it (reliability/validity/cultural issues etc) but do we need to know specifically about the 5 axes and stuff?
Original post by psychemma
For unit 4 do we need to know detail about the DSM? I know we need to know issues with diagnosis using it (reliability/validity/cultural issues etc) but do we need to know specifically about the 5 axes and stuff?

I think if it was an essay question then yeah- but don't think you need to learn all of the axis though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by psychemma

Original post by Mollyql_27
I think if it was an essay question then yeah- but don't think you need to learn all of the axis though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using the findings of studies, describe and evaluate reliability, validity and cultural issues with regard to the diagnosis of disorders (including use of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM)).

You do not need to know anything about the DSM other than issues that arise when using it in diagnosis. I never learn any more than what is necessary because it is a waste of time and memory space
Original post by 08graya

just realised SLT/SFP/Eysenck won't come up bc it was the 2015 12 marker :colone: 2014 was 2 treatments so it's unfortunately not like to be either of those :frown: I'd better make sure I know the studies and research methods inside and out
just realised SLT/SFP/Eysenck won't come up bc it was the 2015 12 marker :colone: 2014 was 2 treatments so it's unfortunately not like to be either of those :frown: I'd better make sure I know the studies and research methods inside and out

Lmao when your strongest points are the theories and treatments :frown: I love exams..
Original post by Trolleybaby
Lmao when your strongest points are the theories and treatments :frown: I love exams..

exactly! it can literally only be on studies, methodology or prac/key issue though I doubt it would be on the prac/key issue bcos there just is not enough to write for 12 marks

watch, i'll be desperately scanning my methodology booklet before the exam (if i even have one) :lol:

practical would be the worst bcos it's a content analysis (for me) which I find dull and difficult to get marks for, the key issue "Are criminals born or made?" wouldn't be that bad bcos I have knowledge of 2 theories including evaluation, and I can summarise Eysenck and I could talk about the psychodynamic theory really briefly, but it would be horrid as a 12 marker
(edited 7 years ago)
exactly! it can literally only be on studies, methodology or prac/key issue though I doubt it would be on the prac/key issue bcos there just is not enough to write for 12 marks

we were told today to prepare for practical coming up as the essay :frown: :frown: :frown:
It could be the developmental issue though couldn't it? (As a 12 marker) I just really hope it's not practical omg
Original post by 08graya
we were told today to prepare for practical coming up as the essay :frown: :frown: :frown:

But I suppose practical wouldn't be too bad? You'd need 1 mark for the aims, 3 marks for procedures, 2 marks for findings and 1 mark for conclusions and then that's 7 A01 marks.... then 2 marks generalisability, reliability, validity, applications (ethics not really relevant) but then that's 8 marks for A02... hmmmmm - lets hope its D&E a study :colondollar:

But say it's practicals - this is my rough plan for child (content analysis on daycare)!

Aim - to see how a British newspaper portrays attitudes to daycare and to see what the general public think.

Procedure - read through several articles before deciding on one from the daily mail - chose this as it seemed to be typical of articles of its type, read it through several times and on about the 4th time of reading it through highlighted key words and phrases, categorised them into headings such as negative effects, positive effects and types of care and then tallied the number of times they appeared, also did this with the top 20 comments (thought they would be representative of people's opinion), put them into a table with the theme & examples of words/phrases used etc

Findings - maternal care was mentioned 9 times in the comments compared to paternal care only being mentioned once - in the eyes of the public children should be cared for by mother - links with Bowlby who said that the child had a monotropic relationship with the mother and that this shouldn't be broken, paternal care not mentioned at all in article - not important issue, negative effects focused on more in the comments than in the article - people think daycare has detrimental effect on children later in life (NICHD study found children in daycare more likely to be aggressive and have behavioural problems)

Conclusions - general public think daycare has more negative that positive effects and the article shows that daycare can also have negative effects, mentions schools - teachers can see the effects as well etc

Then GRAVE it all for 6 marks as well :smile: Hope this is useful as a brief outline!
Original post by 08graya

oh great.. I'll probably scrape 40 marks in unit 3 if we get these bad questions which means I'd have to get 70/90 in Unit 4 to get an A (which would be an A* anyway because of getting a C last year). I'm much more chill for Unit 4 though and I'm glad it's worth more marks bcos clinical is pretty simple, CBT won't come up which is the one treatment I'm not so confident with which is good and issues and debates is good (unpopular opinion lol) bcos you're just applying everything you already know, it's a shame that nature/nurture but I find the other essays alright, contributions can be winged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending