The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IHatePsychology
I kept E-S as there was 2, E-S and Tend and befriend and Tend and befriend seemed a lot harder to remember with little A02. E-S is pretty simple, Empathy women and S for systematizing men and talk a little mumbo jumbo in a nice way and theres a clean paragraph. And 2 free A02 points. But as long as you got it, that's great! I'd be pretty damn happy if this came up lol.

Thanks, I made the account just for this thread, I hate psychology because I thought you required some thinking rather than being a copy and paste essay memorising subject. I should have picked maths -_-

lol same with the hating psychology. i thought it would require at least a little abstract thinking but no, just memorizing and regurgitation
Original post by charanjittt
wouldn't culture be part of social learning theory?

In my essays I've linked it to access so people have one culture/class can access food that another can't
I kept E-S as there was 2, E-S and Tend and befriend and Tend and befriend seemed a lot harder to remember with little A02. E-S is pretty simple, Empathy women and S for systematizing men and talk a little mumbo jumbo in a nice way and theres a clean paragraph. And 2 free A02 points. But as long as you got it, that's great! I'd be pretty damn happy if this came up lol.

Thanks, I made the account just for this thread, I hate psychology because I thought you required some thinking rather than being a copy and paste essay memorising subject. I should have picked maths -_-

Ah I went over it and it seems pretty easy to talk about. Thanks!

Also maths is awesome because once you get something you can apply it to 1000s of questions + there's a definite solid answer and no pages of writing. However there's SOOOO much to learn. I'm not ready lmao
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can you not understand comprehension.... I said you can use determinism for any theory because people thought you could use reductionism for any theory which is why i said determinism CAN, fs CAN where did i say SHOULD.... If it isnt appropriate im pretty sure people arent going to use, but obviously you clearly dont have much common sense. I didnt change my mind about anything

AQA "All explanations/theories inpsychology are determinist, as they are trying to explain the reason people do things." But do go on and tell me how youre trying to clarify MY POINT, ffs.

Just say reductionism can't be used for any theory then, don't say that determinism can because it can't. Yeah sure, but the markscheme says you have to make the IDA relevant, and many student struggle to do this. Try writing that quote in the exam and see how many marks you get, cause unless you write an amazing and very detailed determinist point for a theory where determinism isn't really relevant, you won't pick up marks.

Also when you said you can only use reductionism as and IDA point for biological theories, you were wrong. Went to the AQA website and the first past paper I clicked on, it said that for an evolutionary explanation of functions of sleep, "relevant IDA may include reductionism".
wouldn't culture be part of social learning theory?

Culture is just how people precieve themselves in terms of body dissatiscation in the culture.
e.g: a fat woman isn't very sexy in England so people may be more likely to have eating diseases where as in some cultures it's seen as sexy and accepeted so people will be happy and won't have dieases. Too be fair, in the book it justs uses reserach to explain it rather than explaining it clearly, so I suggest you just copy that. Psychology is not very clear, which I hate lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spacemountain
In my essays I've linked it to access so people have one culture/class can access food that another can't

oh so could that be used as an evaluative point for social learning then
Culture is just how people precieve themselves in terms of body dissatiscation in the culture.
e.g: a fat woman isn't very sexy in England so people may be more likely to have eating diseases where as in some cultures it's seen as sexy and accepeted so people will be happy and won't have dieases. Too be fair, in the book it justs uses reserach to explain it rather than explaining it clearly, so I suggest you just copy that. Psychology is not very clear, which I hate lol.

oh ok thanks
Original post by miajohnsonhall
lol same with the hating psychology. i thought it would require at least a little abstract thinking but no, just memorizing and regurgitation

yeah it's complete non-sense. I am so bad at time magement lol I got all these essays done months ago and went over them but left it for a while and forget 'em all again. How do they expect you to memoirse like 22, 800 word essays lol.
oh so could that be used as an evaluative point for social learning then

It could as cultural bias, but what AO1 points are you doing? I'm doing social learning and class as two separate points
Original post by eloiserosalie
Anyone know what the hell ultimate versus proximate is for IDA evolutionary

Ultimate is like the first cause, proximate is what comes afterwards, I believe.

The "big bang" of psychology, basically.

So, evolutionary theory considers then ultimate cause of behaviour long before social explanations which consider a proximate cause.

Ultimate can be argued as better because it gives us the most accurate understanding of from where certain behaviours come.
Original post by spacemountain
It could as cultural bias, but what AO1 points are you doing? I'm doing social learning and class as two separate points

I'm doing mood because it is easy to evaluate and social learning theory as separate points
what studies r u using to evaluate social learning theory I'm really struggling with that
Original post by bullseye1
Just say reductionism can't be used for any theory then, don't say that determinism can because it can't. Yeah sure, but the markscheme says you have to make the IDA relevant, and many student struggle to do this. Try writing that quote in the exam and see how many marks you get, cause unless you write an amazing and very detailed determinist point for a theory where determinism isn't really relevant, you won't pick up marks.

Also when you said you can only use reductionism as and IDA point for biological theories, you were wrong. Went to the AQA website and the first past paper I clicked on, it said that for an evolutionary explanation of functions of sleep, "relevant IDA may include reductionism".

Ffs stop quoting me now youre irritating, reductionism CAN be used for biological theories, where did i say REDUCTIONISM CANT be used for ANY, theory, thats literally what you just said now.
Omg im not going to go into a full mark scheme detailed point on how someone should write an IDA point am i? Where did i say if you write just theory is deterministic that in the exam its credit worthy, youre literally being so pedantic.obviously ida points have to be relevant and detailed in contextualized which I MYSELF have stated previously on this thread.... Do you not understand the difference between you CAN include something and you SHOULD.... Clearly your brain cant comprehend this.
Thats classed as a biological theory.... Evolution is hardly something psychological and learnt now is it? You really are struggling at this all arent you. Btw if youre saying im wrong then youre saying AQA are wrong, i didnt say that i quoted AQA who said it should be reserved for the biological theories evolutionary is one lmao.
I'm doing mood because it is easy to evaluate and social learning theory as separate points
what studies r u using to evaluate social learning theory I'm really struggling with that

tbh i'm really just applying IDA, like i've talked about RLA and gender bias in research.... i've linked Steptoe's study that women are more concerned with health than men to gender and you could probably link Becker's study of anorexia to RLA
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Ffs stop quoting me now youre irritating, reductionism CAN be used for biological theories, where did i say REDUCTIONISM CANT be used for ANY, theory, thats literally what you just said now.
Omg im not going to go into a full mark scheme detailed point on how someone should write an IDA point am i? Where did i say if you write just theory is deterministic that in the exam its credit worthy, youre literally being so pedantic.obviously ida points have to be relevant and detailed in contextualized which I MYSELF have stated previously on this thread.... Do you not understand the difference between you CAN include something and you SHOULD.... Clearly your brain cant comprehend this.
Thats classed as a biological theory.... Evolution is hardly something psychological and learnt now is it? You really are struggling at this all arent you. Btw if youre saying im wrong then youre saying AQA are wrong, i didnt say that i quoted AQA who said it should be reserved for the biological theories evolutionary is one lmao.

Why not just give useful advice instead of being confusing. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't say anything, because clearly you don't.
Yeah and if they said write about an evolutionary theory and you wrote about a biological one, you'd get 0 marks, so no they are not both biological theories, just accept you're wrong and that reductionism CAN sometimes be used as IDA for non-biological theories. How am I saying AQA is wrong, all I'm saying is to write a good essay, don't put determinism for every theory. Also your grammar is awful, I hope you don't write like that in the exam 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
whats everyones method for remembering the essays?
Reply 2535
Original post by rosieschofield

Practicing essays and revision card notes for me :-)

I've separated the AO points into flashcards and keep testing myself on them, then writing out a quick mindmap from memory of all the key IDAs and studies
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bullseye1
Why not just give useful advice instead of being confusing. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't say anything, because clearly you don't.
Yeah and if they said write about an evolutionary theory and you wrote about a biological one, you'd get 0 marks, so no they are not both biological, just accept you're wrong and that reductionism CAN sometimes be used as IDA for non-biological theories. How am I saying AQA is wrong, all I'm saying is to write a good essay, don't put determinism for every theory. Also your grammar is awful, I hope you don't write like that in the exam 😂

I clearly gave useful advice when youre the one who though reductionism could be used for non bio theories.... If you write about genes in an evolutionary essay of course its going to be wrong, but when writing about evolution and referencing reductionism its classed as biological.
Ok, lol you write reductionism for non bio theories when AQA have stated its wrong and it should be used for bio theories only, saj who did loopa has even accepted this whos stated this exact thing... So yeh, write it and lose marks youre the one whos being stubborn about something.
Where did i say you SHOULD put determinism for every theory..... Youre the one whos brain cant comprehend something like CAN and SHOULD. Theres a difference.
"To write a good essay dont put determinism for every theory", yes because i said in order to have a good essay you have to have determinism... You literally have zero understanding and comprehension.
Im not going to specify every question determinism can be used for.... It CAN be used for anything and thats upto someone to decide if its appropriate and relevant to the question or whether there is a better IDA point. Im not going to sit here and tell someone what it can and cant be used for.

"Grammar is awful", typical of someone to bring something like that up on the Internet in which no one is being assessed on grammar... If it was an exam i dont think i would write like this, unlike you i understand and can comprehend theres a difference between two things like CAN and SHOULD, or in this case understand theres a difference between, an EXAM, and a thread on TSR...

But keep being pedantic and arguing over something youre wrong about im not even going to bother replying to you when AQA, YES AQA have said it reductionism should only be used for biological theories, and DETERMINISM CAN be used for all theories where appropriate.
(edited 7 years ago)

Any of:
Creating a story in my head (imagining it as a movie)
Creating a song about it
Condensing notes (I've got documents with all the information I'd use to get into the top-band of 24 markers -- hopefully it would)
Writing the notes several times
I might try assigning memories of notes to song lyrics or something like that. It's worked pretty well before... Although it was my own made-up and terrible song :biggrin:
Edit: and flashcards :smile:
Guys should I include this in my cultural influences on gender role essay? Is it relevant?

One aspect of gender rolethat appears to be universal is the division of labor. In most cultures, menhunt or otherwise provide resources while women look after the children and preparethe food. In a cross-cultural study, Munroe & Munroe found that every society has some labordivision and behavior decided by gender. Girls tend to be socialized towardscompliance, nurturance, responsibility and obedience, while boys are raised morefor assertiveness, independence, self-reliance and achievement. Thisuniversality suggests that gender roles are biological rather than cultural.

Latest

Trending

Trending