The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 2 with Anon_98.

Alright, I'm making this thread bc I haven't revised for tomorrow's exam. I thought it was on Friday so I was going to give myself these next 4 days to focus on it but it's not on Friday which means I have today to try and revise as much as I can.

Yes, I know I should've probably done it earlier anyway but I didn't/couldn't so that's that.

I haven't memorized this unit since last year. I've got some notes from when I did it at AS + also some from March/something but that was ages ago so I've forgotten what I even did + nowhere near enough anyway.

Whatever, it feels like I'm more/less starting this stupid thing from scratch and I've wasted all morning/afternoon staring at my books bc I'm feeling really overwhelmed so I'm hoping this thread will help me bc it's the only option I have left.

So, blah I've got 28 topics to cover + quite a lot of past papers to do and I've got around 18hrs to do it.

I feel like I'm going to vomit. :cry:

Anyone is welcome to post stuff here if they're also doing a particular topic at the same time as me but please don't post random information about random topics if they don't align with what I'm doing bc I'll get confused.

Anyway. - I'm going to be posting all the revision stuff I manage to do to help keep me motivated.

Scroll to see replies

Awww good luck anon :frown: im sure you will do well regardless because you don't give up :hugs:
im only AS so probably wont understand this thread but im also doing AQA biology exam tomorrow so ill float about on here :hugs:
goodluck Anon :lovie2:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Okay.

Investigating variation. - Topic 1.

Variation exists between members of a species.
The need for random sampling, and the importance of chance in contributing to differences between samples.
The concept of normal distribution about a mean. Understanding mean and standard deviation as measures of variation within a sample.
Candidates will not be required to calculate standard deviation in questions on written papers.

~

Variation within a species is intraspecific; that between different species is interspecific.

Intraspecific variation can be caused by:

- Genetic differences.
- Differences in the environment.
- A combination of genetic and environmental influences.

Species. - A group of individuals that are similar physiologically and which can interbreed to produce fertile offspring.

Population -The total number of organisms of one species in a given area at a given time.

Sample - A subset of a population.

Gene - A section of DNA that controls a particular feature.(e.g. eye colour)

Allele- Two or more versions of a gene.(e.g. blue or brown alleles of the gene for eye colour)

Genetic variation can be a result of different genes or different combinations of alleles of the same genes brought about by:

- Mutations.
- Crossing over in meiosis.
- Independent assortment of chromosomes in meiosis.
- Random fertilisation of gametes.

Measuring the variation in a population involves taking a sample of that population. The sample should be a random sample to avoid any bias in the choosing of individuals. If the sample is large enough then it will probably be quite representative of the whole population, but small samples can easily be unrepresentative.

The standard deviation is a measure of dispersion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Alright, now I'm going to make my handwritten notes.
Reply 4
Original post by Salamandastron
X

:cube: :heart:
Reply 5
Uh that took me quite long. Well, I've just finished writing out my notes and now I'm going to try and memorise them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
its tomorrow?... my ones on Friday i do AQA B2
Reply 7
Okay, I've just finished memorising my notes for that topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mariyahx
its tomorrow?... my ones on Friday i do AQA B2

Does it look like I posted in the GCSE forum? :curious:
Reply 9
Causes of variation - Topic 2.

Similarities and differences between individuals within a species may be the result of genetic factors, differences in environmental factors, or a combination of both.

I pretty much covered this in the last topic so I'll move onto the next one.

Structure of DNA - Topic 3.

The double-helix structure of DNA, enabling it to act as a stable information-carrying molecule, in terms of:
•the components of DNA nucleotides:deoxyribose,phosphate and the bases adenine, cytosine, guanine and thymine
two sugar-phosphate backbones held together by hydrogen bonds between base pairs
specific base pairing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah it seemed like it, should of been more specific
Original post by anon_98
does it look like i posted in the gcse forum? :curious:
Original post by Anon_98
Uh that took me quite long. Well, I've just finished writing out my notes and now I'm going to try and memorise them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey anon, why don't you use the power points available online for aqa. I used them for a2 and think they will help you understand the information quickly (its easy to go through them) plus they have used info from nelson thornes. Try that out. And im retaking too tomorrow so if you need any help let me know! 😊
Reply 12
Original post by TheTeresaLover
Hey anon, why don't you use the power points available online for aqa. I used them for a2 and think they will help you understand the information quickly (its easy to go through them) plus they have used info from nelson thornes. Try that out. And im retaking too tomorrow so if you need any help let me know! 😊

Powerpoints? Do you mean on 'get revising' or..?

I feel like I can only really learn/memorise stuff when I make it myself tbh but alright, I'll try- Is there any chance you could direct me to the source?

+ thank you.
Original post by mariyahx
Yeah it seemed like it, should of been more specific

Original post by Anon_98
:cube: :heart:

:lovie2: x
Original post by Anon_98
Powerpoints? Do you mean on 'get revising' or..?

I feel like I can only really learn/memorise stuff when I make it myself tbh but alright, I'll try- Is there any chance you could direct me to the source?

+ thank you.

http://www.alevelbiology.co.uk/as2.html
You're welcome
Good luck :rave:
Original post by Anon_98
Alright, I'm making this thread bc I haven't revised for tomorrow's exam. I thought it was on Friday so I was going to give myself these next 4 days to focus on it but it's not on Friday which means I have today to try and revise as much as I can.

Yes, I know I should've probably done it earlier anyway but I didn't/couldn't so that's that.

I haven't memorized this unit since last year. I've got some notes from when I did it at AS + also some from March/something but that was ages ago so I've forgotten what I even did + nowhere near enough anyway.

Whatever, it feels like I'm more/less starting this stupid thing from scratch and I've wasted all morning/afternoon staring at my books bc I'm feeling really overwhelmed so I'm hoping this thread will help me bc it's the only option I have left.

So, blah I've got 28 topics to cover + quite a lot of past papers to do and I've got around 18hrs to do it.

I feel like I'm going to vomit. :cry:

Anyone is welcome to post stuff here if they're also doing a particular topic at the same time as me but please don't post random information about random topics if they don't align with what I'm doing bc I'll get confused.

Anyway. - I'm going to be posting all the revision stuff I manage to do to help keep me motivated.

Are you sure your exam is tomorrow?

I do AQA Additional Science B2 Biology, and my exam timetable states the exam is on Friday 10th June.
Reply 17

thank you so much, I've just looked through and it seems really helpful.

:cube:

Original post by SeanFM
Good luck :rave:

:heart:
Reply 18
Original post by CIrvine199
Are you sure your exam is tomorrow?

No, I'm just saying it for the lulz.

I do AQA Additional Science B2 Biology, and my exam timetable states the exam is on Friday 10th June.

Reply 19
I really need to go to bed. :cry:

Oh dear. I haven't really done anything since I finished that last topic bc my brain feels really confused + my body feels awful.

I'm going for some fresh air then I'll restart at 7:00pm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending