The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Had my NHS wellbeing appointment today.
Wasnt much use tbh. Ive no idea whats happening after this so im not impressed tbh.
I was hoping i would find out what the next step was (like they said i would) but i guess not.
Feel so crap tbh :redface:
These dreams never go away, literally only had one night free for months ._.
Hope everyone is well :smile:
For those of you who have had bad/terrible experiences with therapy, can I ask why this is? Is it just to do with the therapist not truly understanding your issues? Did you not have a good relationship with your therapist or something different?

Thank you :h:
Original post by moment of truth
For those of you who have had bad/terrible experiences with therapy, can I ask why this is? Is it just to do with the therapist not truly understanding your issues? Did you not have a good relationship with your therapist or something different?

I just found CBT taught me things I already knew and didn't tackle the 'cause' of my low self-esteem at the time. It felt rushed and as though my therapist expected me to be at 'Point X' by week 3 etc. which was incredibly unhelpful too but it definitely works for some :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moment of truth

From my current experience with therapy, the main problem I have had is the therapist herself and not the actual therapy method. First, she always cancels on me - sometimes even just an hour or before my appointment. I was meant to be getting weekly appointments from the start as my GP put me down as an urgent referral but the therapist said once a fortnight would be enough but most of the time I got anywhere from a fortnight to 5 weeks between appointments and 3 weeks ago she said I would definitely be getting weekly sessions with her because my conditions have got even worse from when I was already deemed as urgent and she told me at my last session on Tuesday that my next session wouldn't be the following week, it would be...wait for it...4 weeks away instead! This is because of her going on holiday...again! She's had 3 holidays since I started with her in January this year.

She is also quite wooden and has zero charm or personality which isn't the worst as you don't expect your therapist to be your best friend but she makes it very hard to open up to and here's the best bit, she says I talk too much! So I have to hold back a lot which is totally the opposite of what I should be doing at therapy! I'm going to my GP tomorrow to get it sorted once and for all. I can't go on with her. She is isn't the therapist for me and I don't care if I have to wait months for someone else. Having no help is better than receiving the wrong help imo.

She has also admitted she doesn't usually work with people who have OCD which is what my main problem was. She said she is more used to working with general anxiety and depression.
Had my driving lesson earlier on today and before it, I felt a bit shaky, weak and just not right and I put it down to the heat, my period and just general nerves and as soon as I started driving I took a massive panic. We had to stop for petrol and while she was filling up, I just sat in the front shaking and shivering and couldn't speak. When she came back from the shop I managed to tell her I was having a panic and she took over and we drove down the beach and we just sat there for 15 mins until I calmed down and then I managed to drive fine. I even went 20 miles away from my hometown which I didn't think I would have done as I didn't even feel safe going a mile away from my house at the start. I'm proud I managed to get through it and stuck in with the lesson because she offered to take me home but I said no.

My driving instructor is the best. Its more like driving with a friend and she has had panics before so she knows how I feel
Original post by Deyesy
I just found CBT taught me things I already knew and didn't tackle the 'cause' of my low self-esteem at the time. It felt rushed and as though my therapist expected me to be at 'Point X' by week 3 etc. which was incredibly unhelpful too but it definitely works for some :smile:

Ah okay, so the type of therapy was the main problem? That way of thinking definitely doesn't work for everyone!

Original post by Spock's Socks
From my current experience with therapy, the main problem I have had is the therapist herself and not the actual therapy method. First, she always cancels on me - sometimes even just an hour or before my appointment. I was meant to be getting weekly appointments from the start as my GP put me down as an urgent referral but the therapist said once a fortnight would be enough but most of the time I got anywhere from a fortnight to 5 weeks between appointments and 3 weeks ago she said I would definitely be getting weekly sessions with her because my conditions have got even worse from when I was already deemed as urgent and she told me at my last session on Tuesday that my next session wouldn't be the following week, it would be...wait for it...4 weeks away instead! This is because of her going on holiday...again! She's had 3 holidays since I started with her in January this year.

She is also quite wooden and has zero charm or personality which isn't the worst as you don't expect your therapist to be your best friend but she makes it very hard to open up to and here's the best bit, she says I talk too much! So I have to hold back a lot which is totally the opposite of what I should be doing at therapy! I'm going to my GP tomorrow to get it sorted once and for all. I can't go on with her. She is isn't the therapist for me and I don't care if I have to wait months for someone else. Having no help is better than receiving the wrong help imo.

She has also admitted she doesn't usually work with people who have OCD which is what my main problem was. She said she is more used to working with general anxiety and depression.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Your therapist doesn't sound like a proper therapist, at all. The session should be yours and you should be able to talk about whatever you wish and need to. That's how it was for me, at least. I don't understand how a therapist can think it's okay to mess around with sessions. Hopefully you don't have to wait for a long time for your new therapist and they treat you much better than the one you are with currently! :smile:
I've been feeling so awful for a couple of days all i've done is stay in bed crying

ed tw?

Spoiler

Original post by Cinnie
I've been feeling so awful for a couple of days all i've done is stay in bed crying

ed tw?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Noodlzzz

Spoiler

what can they do?
Original post by Cinnie
what can they do?

Spoiler

Can anyone tell me what sort of mental health issues qualify for extenuating circumstances for A levels? Been suffering from insomnia, lack of concentration, decreased memory, intrusive thoughts of my past and generally struggling for about 4 months now. My performance is not affected severely but I am not performing at my best. I don't really want to abuse the system because I'm sure there are people out there who are worse off but idk I wouldn't want to be graded at my bad state either? Thanks
My insomnia meant that I had very little sleep last night meaning that I didn't go into college today as I knew me being in a sleep deprived, anxious state(me not sleeping well means I can't control my anxiety very well) would cause more problems than good things.

It was the first day back after the half term.

How am I going to explain that I have a real issue here instead of everyone thinking I skived and that I'm not just lazy and pathetic like some people already think I am?
Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone tell me what sort of mental health issues qualify for extenuating circumstances for A levels? Been suffering from insomnia, lack of concentration, decreased memory, intrusive thoughts of my past and generally struggling for about 4 months now. My performance is not affected severely but I am not performing at my best. I don't really want to abuse the system because I'm sure there are people out there who are worse off but idk I wouldn't want to be graded at my bad state either? Thanks

Here is what AQA say about special consideration http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration
There is a link on that page to a document giving more detail. I assume other exam boards have similar criteria.

The document says that you can get special consideration for a long term illness or difficulty 'if the illness or circumstances manifest themselves at the time of assessment'. It says later on that you can get 1% for 'stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed'. However, I'm not sure if other mental health issues would come under illness or something.

This document is quite vague though so it is probably best to speak to your school about it- whoever is in charge of exams at your school should know whether you would qualify for special consideration.

Also, don't feel like you would be cheating the system because there are other people that are worse off than you- that may be true, but it doesn't stop your situation being equally as valid for special consideration :smile:
Here is what AQA say about special consideration http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration
There is a link on that page to a document giving more detail. I assume other exam boards have similar criteria.

The document says that you can get special consideration for a long term illness or difficulty 'if the illness or circumstances manifest themselves at the time of assessment'. It says later on that you can get 1% for 'stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed'. However, I'm not sure if other mental health issues would come under illness or something.

This document is quite vague though so it is probably best to speak to your school about it- whoever is in charge of exams at your school should know whether you would qualify for special consideration.

Also, don't feel like you would be cheating the system because there are other people that are worse off than you- that may be true, but it doesn't stop your situation being equally as valid for special consideration :smile:

Thank you :smile: It is indeed very vague (and wtf is that font, it hurts my eyes!) and no mention of mental issues apart from that anxiety thing :frown: I don't have any diagnosis and therefore no medication but I am working with a clinical psychologist (I didn't go through a GP) who says I'm suffering from anxiety. I'm not sure if they count for doctor's note and all that. I might talk to my exam officer later this week. I hope things are going alright for you.

For my A Levels extenuating circumstances were put in for my mental health issues, but tbh, I don't know if it made that much of a difference. For the record, at the time I had a diagnosis of one personality disorder and chronic depression, with a letter from my psychiatrist. I was also on a lot of medication changes.
OCD is making me unhappy again tonight :frown:

Hope everyone is well! :smile:
OCD is making me unhappy again tonight :frown:

Hope everyone is well! :smile:

Damn it went anon again :/
Original post by Midnightmemories
My insomnia meant that I had very little sleep last night meaning that I didn't go into college today as I knew me being in a sleep deprived, anxious state(me not sleeping well means I can't control my anxiety very well) would cause more problems than good things.

It was the first day back after the half term.

How am I going to explain that I have a real issue here instead of everyone thinking I skived and that I'm not just lazy and pathetic like some people already think I am?

I'm sorry to hear that your insomnia kept you awake! :hugs:
That was the right thing to do! Stay at home and not risk having problems in college.

I'm guessing they don't know about your insomnia?
Maybe try and explain some of the difficulties you've been having?
Or just tell people that you were catching up on work or revision.
Apologies for my advice not being very useful but I like to try and help out!

I can confirm one thing! You're absolutely not lazy and pathetic! The people who say that need to get a life!
In a really lonely, scary and dark place right now :/

Latest