Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i felt like it was an okay paper.

questions that i sturggled on and probably lost marks on for sure are:
Octal and BCD questions
devices used in networks
logicial protocals
Omr question

What the overall point of the final question (8marker) ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tom294

questions that i sturgled on and probably go lost marks on for sure are:
Octal and BCD questions
devices used in networks
logicial proticals
Omr question

There's no real point as such, the aim of the question is to get us to give the advantages and disadvantages of the development of computers and how they impact peoples' lives and society as a whole.
thought it was a pretty nice exam overall shame there wasn't more binary questions though, and completely misunderstood the question about 'factors that must be considered for questionnaire' however as i got completely thrown off by the OMR part :/

and at least the weird question about connecting the smartwatch to your phone was only a single mark ( i put bluetooth for it)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Does anyone remember what the question was regarding the information gathering from potential end users (e.g the questionnaires, document observation, interviews etc).... I feel like I ignored the question and wrote a load of rubbish in the lines below it... Were we meant to just describe it? For example I said for a questionnaire, you can gain qualitative and quantitative data from potential end users...

Original post by TSRmax
I thought the question on how the smartwatch can receive data from the mobile phone was incredibly vague.
Was asked with no context whatsoever, like do you mean serial/duplex or do you mind wireless???
It was a decent paper though, as its the last paper ever of the syllabus I feel like they just put whatever they wanted in there because some of the questions were really weird.
Who knows how well I did though, cos OCR.

I also thought that this was very vague... hopefully the mark scheme will accept for a wide variety of answers.... otherwise it's their fault, not the students.
Reply 24
Original post by TheLazyKid
There's no real point as such, the aim of the question is to get us to give the advantages and disadvantages of the development of computers and how they impact peoples' lives and society as a whole.

I may be wrong but I think the trick of the question is it didn't actually want the impact on society as a whole because it said 'the effect on WORKERS and their well being'. someone made notes using mark schemes on the student room a few years ago and there is a very specific list in the notes on how computers affect workers and employees. things included on this list:

positives:
gained technical skill so better job prospects
work from home, save time travelling to work
computer can replace mundane tasks so workers can do more interesting jobs
learn information online

negatives:
have to learn how to use technology: increases stress
more distracted at home
worry about work (not something i put down but was in list i thought it was vague)
cannot communicate with colleagues as easily.

that's all i can remember and i may be wrong but this guy must have made these notes from previous mark schemes!!
Reply 25
Original post by Pin1234
I may be wrong but I think the trick of the question is it didn't actually want the impact on society as a whole because it said 'the effect on WORKERS and their well being'. someone made notes using mark schemes on the student room a few years ago and there is a very specific list in the notes on how computers affect workers and employees. things included on this list:

positives:
learn information online

negatives:
more distracted at home
worry about work (not something i put down but was in list i thought it was vague)

that's all i can remember and i may be wrong but this guy must have made these notes from previous mark schemes!!

For disadvantages could you say workers become more complacent, working from home ad using computer= health problems like eye strain. More people expected to become computer literature etc. Also advantages is that improved flexibility as people can work from home so mothers with babies will benefit and saves travelling costs
I thought it was pretty easy, about as difficult as last year really. I already had an A in this paper but am hoping to boost my UMS, now that I actually revised for it this time. Not looking forward to F452 as much though.
Original post by tom294

questions that i sturggled on and probably lost marks on for sure are:
Octal and BCD questions
devices used in networks
logicial protocals
Omr question

The number stuff is pretty easy marks, but did you have a silver calculator? They can do all the different base systems and work out answers for you.
Original post by jackpcraig
Yeah I wrote things very similar to you. What did you get for the symbols not showing up in the chess newsletter thing?

I think I must have put spmehting like those characters not being the computer's character set and so does not show up which does sound wrong now but i am not sure what the answer is
Original post by Pin1234

positives:
learn information online

negatives:
more distracted at home

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant :smile:
You're right
Original post by Yousf
For disadvantages could you say workers become more complacent, working from home ad using computer= health problems like eye strain. More people expected to become computer literature etc. Also advantages is that improved flexibility as people can work from home so mothers with babies will benefit and saves travelling costs

Yeah that's pretty much what I wrote, marks should be given for those explanations.
Last years paper was a resit for me as well, but I really didn't prepare for it (and in the first sitting I just wasn't good at it). To be honest, as someone who sat the 2014 and 2015 papers, this years paper was an absolute blessing.

I'm not sure about the long 8 marker on the coffee shop application, but I know from looking at past mark schemes that I'll have at least scored in the medium boundary (5/6), same for the last question.

I also wasn't sure whether to put half-duplex or wireless for the mobile phone and smart watch question, but I'd seen similar questions in previous years asking about connectivity and they always wanted wired/wireless type answers and when asking for method of communication they normally want duplex/simplex answers. Not sure if this is correct, but that was my assumption in the exam (and I also can't 100% remember the wording of that question, so I could be wrong).

I also was confused by that questionnaire question, I thought I'd been transported back to my GCSE Maths exam! :s-smilie: And that two's compliment number for 4 marks was so lovely! I was expecting a binary to hex/octal question at least.

Overall, I'm expecting 80/85 out of 100, which I know will be a decent A regardless of possible high grade boundaries this year (as I think it will be majority resitters doing the exam), so I'm pretty happy. :biggrin:
did anyone of you resit the f452 module? if so how did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jasmine9876
did anyone of you resit the f452 module? if so how did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think I might just give up on life now :frown:
Found it harder than last year and I don't think I did well at all.
How did you find it?
omg I hated it :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do you think you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do you think you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

65 If I'm lucky
60 If I'm being realistic
55 If OCR are in no mercy mode ...
So yeah ... not too happy ...
1)how did you design the output screen for the 1st question?
2) what did you get for the trace tables?
3) fixed length and variable length?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1)how did you design the output screen for the 1st question?
2) what did you get for the trace tables?
3) fixed length and variable length?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly for the first one it doesn't matter how it looks as looks as the use of space is good and the information they've provided is on there ... you should get 4-5 marks
Trace tables was just follow through and I believe there were like 4 steps before it was below 0 then you output + ? ...
The fixed length and variable length was the one I left toward the end ... 5 minutes left ... looked at it ... **** myself knowing that I only squeezed in about 1-2 marks ... but for that to be an 8 marker is just .... ****
For the design of the output screen I wrote the highest and lowest underneath each other then the current highest and lowest underneath each other then the current average, leaving space for temperature next to it.
I can't remember exactly what I got for the trace table but I'm pretty sure I was right.
The fixed length and variable length question was insane!! Wasn't it like 8 marks?? Pretty sure it doesn't state anywhere in our spec we need to know this. All in all I agree I probably got like 55 :/
Wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending