The Student Room Group

First Year Potential Failure

I'm currently being investigated for plagiarism on one of my modules, I fail the whole of my first year if I get no marks for that module.

If I fail, I wouldn't want to return for a resit year.

How much would I owe student finance?

I am a welsh student so I get £11k in grants, £6-7k in loans and I received a £1k bursary from the university.

I have heard that if you drop out in term 1/2/3 you would have to pay a percentage back, but what happens if I complete the year, fail, and don't come back?

Let me know if you need more info
Original post by Michael_Antoni
I'm currently being investigated for plagiarism on one of my modules, I fail the whole of my first year if I get no marks for that module.

If I fail, I wouldn't want to return for a resit year.

How much would I owe student finance?

I am a welsh student so I get £11k in grants, £6-7k in loans and I received a £1k bursary from the university.

I have heard that if you drop out in term 1/2/3 you would have to pay a percentage back, but what happens if I complete the year, fail, and don't come back?

Let me know if you need more info

You would start paying back the april after you graduate if you get withdrawn late august, before then and you would have to give back a bit of your 3rd terms grant and loan.
Original post by claireestelle
You would start paying back the april after you graduate if you get withdrawn late august, before then and you would have to give back a bit of your 3rd terms grant and loan.

What do you mean graduate? I would not be returning so I wouldn't receive any awards?

So you are saying the first and second term grant is safe?
Original post by Michael_Antoni
What do you mean graduate? I would not be returning so I wouldn't receive any awards?

So you are saying the first and second term grant is safe?

Sorry I meant the April after you leave, and yes they re safe.
To add to what Claire said - if you drop out, the repayment terms (I'm not too clued up on the Welsh system) work the same way as if you'd completed your degree. So, as an English student under the old system who dropped out after year 1, I don't need to pay back anything until I start earning around £17k per year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending