The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

The Pearson website it just so evil to me!! It won't load papers on my phone and I don't have a working computer! If someone could let me know past paper questions with dates I would be so so grateful.
Reply 41
Can somebody explain royal prerogative
Reply 42
Original post by AllanSmith22
i hate parliament but i still have to learn it. we havent been taught any except constitution coming up

What is your school or college doing lol?
You only learnt one topic for unit 2?!?
Surely not 😩
Original post by xxvine
Can somebody explain royal prerogative

It's the power of the majesty which the Prime Minister uses on her behalf. So for example, the prerogative to create peers used to be done by the King (like when threatened in 1832) but now it's done by Dodgy Dave.
Reply 44
Does anyone know any arguements for and against a British Bill of rights?
What do you guys think would/should be the 'main' things to look at when revising Parliament and the Constitution?

E.g. Advantages and Disadvantages of the UK Constitution.

E.g. Functions of Parliament.

The current idea in my head is that I should focus on 3 topics (PM & Cabinet ; Parliament ; Constitution) and maybe gloss over Judiciary when/if I finish up.
Reply 46
Original post by hw1221

Is that the constitution section?
In the Heywood book it appears under the judiciary section
Reply 47
Original post by alevelpain
It's the power of the majesty which the Prime Minister uses on her behalf. So for example, the prerogative to create peers used to be done by the King (like when threatened in 1832) but now it's done by Dodgy Dave.

lol at dodgy dave😂
Original post by hw1221

Against:
Don't want dodgy Dave making our rights
Echr is human rights so why do we need rights specifically for British humans...we're all human?

For
So that our courts can operate under that instead of echr so the Supreme Court can remain the highest court
More control over what goes in as rights-- issues before over echr preventing government from doing it what it wants- our own bill of rights hands all the power to the executive (can argue for and against for that though) eg the bel marsh case the prisoners using echr to get out of Prison it limited gov so they'd want to remove that

There are more I just haven't started revising yet but that's a start ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
Is that the constitution section?
In the Heywood book it appears under the judiciary section

You could mention it in the constitution as a reform but yeah it's mainly a thing in the judiciary as its like civil liberties and rights which is the main thing isn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Against:
Echr is human rights so why do we need rights specifically for British humans...we're all human?

For
So that our courts can operate under that instead of echr so the Supreme Court can remain the highest court
More control over what goes in as rights-- issues before over echr preventing government from doing it what it wants- our own bill of rights hands all the power to the executive (can argue for and against for that though) eg the bel marsh case the prisoners using echr to get out of Prison it limited gov so they'd want to remove that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dodgy dave is catching on 😉
Original post by xxvine
lol at dodgy dave😂

Dennis Skinner MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvIUa47x_Oc
Reply 52
Against:

For

There are more I just haven't started revising yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thats really helpful thankyou :smile:
Against:

For

Posted from TSR Mobile

also the Tories (and Labour 2001 - 2005 for that matter) have recently displayed authoritarian tendencies, so I reckon a good arguement to be made is that it would likely be of the same status as all other statutes and not even possess the semi-entrenched status of HRA. Dodgy Dave and Darth Vader (May) are definitely tired of the courts declaring their legislation incompatible so will definitely make their BBR more lenient
Reply 54

He's such banter that guy
I would love to go raving with him 😂
Original post by xxvine
He's such banter that guy
I would love to go raving with him 😂

Have you seen Skinner talk about Gidian Osbourne's cocaine addiction? He's hilarious
Original post by Louise12307
The Pearson website it just so evil to me!! It won't load papers on my phone and I don't have a working computer! If someone could let me know past paper questions with dates I would be so so grateful.

Link 1: 40 Mark Qs
http://alevelpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/40-marks-2009-2015.pdf

Link 2: Source based Qs
http://alevelpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ALL-source-2009-2015.pdf

I hope this helps!
Anyone got predictions for questions Likely to come up thanks
Reply 58
Still unsure about ECHR/HRA 1998 and its relationship to judges/how they use it/it increases there power...
so as I understand it judges can:
Issue a comment of non-compliance if a law goes against the ECHR law e.g bel marsh case 2005? and then parliament decides what must be done?
If a government body acts against the ECHR victims can take the body to court e.g Abu Qatada 2009?
If the ECHR brings in a new law and the UK does not have a law against it but has by convention done different they must pass primary legislation before they can repeal the law set by the ECHR?
PLEASE CORRECT cos Im very confused
Reply 59
Original post by Antoine Griezman
Anyone got predictions for questions Likely to come up thanks

This

I got a feeling we will get some rubbish question regarding the EU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending