The Student Room Group

English Language - how would you write a report ? What does it look like?

From: Whoever the report is report is from/persona name/your name
To:

Subheading
Paragraph

Subheading
Paragraph

*depends on how many paragraphs*

Recommendations
for question 6, it isnt really what it looks like, all you need is...

powerful opening that sets a vague idea of what you are talking about
main argument
expand on main point with more ideas
counter argument and how it is not as good as your argument
powerful ending
Original post by dc1999_16
for question 6, it isnt really what it looks like, all you need is...

powerful opening that sets a vague idea of what you are talking about
main argument
expand on main point with more ideas
counter argument and how it is not as good as your argument
powerful ending

Can you give me an example of a report question ?
Original post by nisha.sri

In terms of how it should be written, always make sure you have some sort of balance.
For example,

The local council has taken grade strides in order to improve the medical facilities in recent months and the recently constructed medical centre, which now plays a vital role in the community, has been essential to this improvement. However, there is still an issue with the waiting times for patients, and issue that is important to be resolved before the enrolment of this scheme throughout the borough.

So you'd have to develop it like, but there's the general gist of things.
Original post by danielwinstanley
In terms of how it should be written, always make sure you have some sort of balance.
For example,

The local council has taken grade strides in order to improve the medical facilities in recent months and the recently constructed medical centre, which now plays a vital role in the community, has been essential to this improvement. However, there is still an issue with the waiting times for patients, and issue that is important to be resolved before the enrolment of this scheme throughout the borough.

So you'd have to develop it like, but there's the general gist of things.

Is reports likely to come up in exams ?
What is a report exactly ?
Is reports likely to come up in exams ?
What is a report exactly ?

I don't know if they're likely to come up in the exam but it basically assesses the issue in the question(?) I don't know how to explain it but:

Say you got a question, "Write a report to the local council about the facilities for young people"
- You'd comment on the positives
- Highlight the next steps + improvements
- Offer your recommendations
I don't know if they're likely to come up in the exam but it basically assesses the issue in the question(?) I don't know how to explain it but:

Say you got a question, "Write a report to the local council about the facilities for young people"
- You'd comment on the positives
- Highlight the next steps + improvements
- Offer your recommendations

Oh ok :smile: Do you need headings ?
Oh ok :smile: Do you need headings ?

It's nice to title your report with subheadings before each paragraph - especially if your paragraphs have very different topics.
It's nice to title your report with subheadings before each paragraph - especially if your paragraphs have very different topics.

Ok :smile: Thanks for your help.
Would these headings be good or do i need to add anymore ? To get an A* would this be good ? Aslo do i need a title
Introduction
Data collection
Findings
Recommendations
Conclusions
Ok :smile: Thanks for your help.
Would these headings be good or do i need to add anymore ? To get an A* would this be good ? Aslo do i need a title
Introduction
Data collection
Findings
Recommendations
Conclusions

I wouldn't title the introduction and conclusion. Rather than general headings such as "Findings" and "Data Collection," you could have more specific headings related to the topic and interweave data into them. For example, when I did mine about facilities in the borough, I did like "Sporting Facilities" and "Youth Zone"
I wouldn't title the introduction and conclusion. Rather than general headings such as "Findings" and "Data Collection," you could have more specific headings related to the topic and interweave data into them. For example, when I did mine about facilities in the borough, I did like "Sporting Facilities" and "Youth Zone"

Oh ok so for each point you would mention those
Reports> Headings and Subheadings are essential (see below).
> For the introduction write why you are writing the report.
> Data Collection (write that as a title and make up statistics).
> Findings(Use quotations and number your points).
> Recommendation/Solution.
> Conclusion(what you hope the report has highlighted to the reader).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending