The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A.S.J
Paper 2 forchem which variant? I did 22

21 :K:
Original post by fandom-queen
HI-5!! i COULDN'T SOLVE IT EITHER!

OMG, everything you say is my existence right now. I keep missing the gt for chem and phy by one mark, and it's annoying me!

heh heh.... i know!!
Original post by Random98
heh heh.... i know!!

Ugh, are you prepared for the exams? MCQ is honestly my worst paper, I wish it wasn't last.
Original post by A.S.J
Screenshot_2016-06-04-23-29-26-165.jpeg
Im so confused for this.
And the answer is A.
How?
Help.
Thnks.

PV=nRT . since moles and temp are constant before and after, we can write
PHeVHe + PNeVNe = PTotalVTotal ( Another way of writing P1V1=P2V2 )
(5x12) + (10x6) = PTotal x 15
PTotal = 8 dm3
HI-5!! i COULDN'T SOLVE IT EITHER!

OMG, everything you say is my existence right now. I keep missing the gt for chem and phy by one mark, and it's annoying me!

I am in the exact same situation too . It seems that we are not alone! xD
My chemistry p2 went preety bad, i wrote the elements o period 3 instead of period 4 and also i did some silly mistakes i shouldn't have done . Also in physics i think i lost most of the marks for the question on the waves. But my p3 in physics went pretty well in comparison with my p3 in chemistry .... Probably i will have to do a re-take for Chemistry next year. :'(

And also P1 is the most difficult for me so , i dont think it will go very well
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Prantone
I am in the exact same situation too . It seems that we are not alone! xD
My chemistry p2 went preety bad, i wrote the elements o period 3 instead of period 4 and also i did some silly mistakes i shouldn't have done . Also in physics i think i lost most of the marks for the question on the waves. But my p3 in physics went pretty well in comparison with my p3 in chemistry .... Probably i will have to do a re-take for Chemistry next year. :'(

And also P1 is the most difficult for me so , i dont think it will go very well

I know! Chem p3 was horrible! Even P2, i messed up a lot of the stuff.

Bio p3 was pretty bad, and I made mistakes in p2.

Physics P2 was terrible. The diffraction grating thing was terrible, and I messed up the quarks thing. P3 was okay, but, I have my doubts about the uncertainties and limitations.
Reply 186
21 :K:

Your questions are so much similar to the paper i did.....
Reply 187
Original post by Some one
PV=nRT . since moles and temp are constant before and after, we can write
PHeVHe + PNeVNe = PTotalVTotal ( Another way of writing P1V1=P2V2 )
(5x12) + (10x6) = PTotal x 15
PTotal = 8 dm3

Thanka
Original post by A.S.J
Your questions are so much similar to the paper i did.....

Really? Well, questions tend to be similar or sometimes same in variants.
Though if you do wanna check out 21, it's here http://justpastpapers.com/cie-9701-chemistry-as-level-paper-2-mayjune-2016-question-paper/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 189
So I posted this on another thread and thought of sharing it here too...

My Chem p32....It went utterly horrendous!

I set up my whole Q1 apparatuses, the inverted cylinder..the clamp..the flask EVERYTHING. I started the experiment. Waited for the Mg to react completely, BUT the hydrogen produced was SO MUCH that it advanced the graduation on the measuring cylinder!! Thats not all. I somehow (by scale and measurements) found out the volume of H2 produced, wrote it down and did the rest of ALL calculations in the first question and finished with my final answer. But then, just when I thought that was the least problem I could have, the supervisor walked up to me and asked me why i didn't ask for another Mg strip of lower mass! JUST LIKE THAT MY WHOLE Q1 WENT INTO COMPLETE WASTE!

I wanna ask a question to all the CIE candidates out there,
is it genuinely OK to ask for another mass of something (or even anything that has been clearly officially labeled FB) when you've been given a "FB1 Magnesium Strip" to use in the question?

I mean, how would i have ever known that THAT particular mass of Mg would not be suitable for my experiment! I was completely clueless about the fact that i could ask for another one! It was the fault of the staff who were responsible for providing an appropriate mass of Mg! I requested them for extra time as it was in no possibility my fault, but they denied. There was a lot of talking and stuff which ate good amount of my time.
So, I had to set up and do the WHOLE experiment AGAIN! (''including'' the calculations that followed)
And then ended up getting 19 as the Ar of Mg. Great. Just great.
Since Question 2 was related to Q1, I'm just praying they ecf (error carrried forward) the results and calculations.

Question 2. Started with the titration. Got values of titre around 27cm3 to 30 cm3. I have no idea if those are ok... Due to lack of time, couldn't do the last few parts of questions to in Q2.

Until i reached Question 3, I had so little time (say, 15 - 20 minutes), you can imagine how that might've gone. I hardly did 2 - 3 observations of the first part, and since i was running of out time, couldn't do the rest of the question. BLANK! I had never expected to leave anything blank in p3.

And thats pretty much what happened with me and a couple of other candidates (whom i could talk to later).

And just so you know, I did brilliantly in Physics and Biology practicals, therefore I expected everything to go fluently in Chem practical.

I do believe i should have been given extra time. But there wasn't much of a point to argue further with anyone during the exam, as it was the matter of time.
If anyone particularly gave this exam in Jeddah (I don't want to disclose the name of the school), please share your experience if u went through the same as me

lol.. i gave the exam in dammam and something similar happened to me. Our supervisor told us before the exam that all of u have to take mg ribbon of mass 0.2±0.1 ( it was actually their job to give us the correct mass ) I took .3 and i got a volume of over 250 but the cylinder didnt get completely empty. i got the same titre value as the supervisor. After the exam when i told the supervisor that my volume was more then 250 and i took .3. he said i told u all to take .2±0.01 :/. so basically i lost almost all the mmarks in first 2 questions cuz more of my acid was used up then the supervisor so i shudnt get the same titre value as him
Reply 190
Has anyone given their v34 paper?
I feel like crying. For the AS level Biology paper 3, my friend and I drew the same slide, but, we put the slide under the microscope opposite ways. I feel really scared it's all wrong, because, our diagrams were very similar, but, just inverted.

I feel EXTREMELY angry at CIE, because there was absolutely no indication of which side was up and down. Even the label with the area code and slide number was stuck in such a way, it could be read either way. I'm really scared, because I put so much effort into the drawing, and now it's all wrong.
Reply 192
Omg this is crazy!!!dont your supervisors fix the slide for you?
Thats crazy?!!
Our supervisors always choose the best microscope and fixed the slide in.
I did bio last year.
I feel like crying. For the AS level Biology paper 3, my friend and I drew the same slide, but, we put the slide under the microscope opposite ways. I feel really scared it's all wrong, because, our diagrams were very similar, but, just inverted.

I feel EXTREMELY angry at CIE, because there was absolutely no indication of which side was up and down. Even the label with the area code and slide number was stuck in such a way, it could be read either way. I'm really scared, because I put so much effort into the drawing, and now it's all wrong.
Reply 193
Omg how come the paper is out?
Though if you do wanna check out 21, it's here http://justpastpapers.com/cie-9701-chemistry-as-level-paper-2-mayjune-2016-question-paper/
Reply 194
Omg. This is not fair!!!
No way man!
Our paper was harder!!! I did 22. So not fair. Even the IR queation is different
And the first question part 1 was similar.
Cie i hate you.
Original post by A.S.J
Omg. This is not fair!!!
No way man!
Our paper was harder!!! I did 22. So not fair. Even the IR queation is different
Cie i hate you.

I know right...
This time CIE is going to take our interests in our subjects.(specially in Chemistry)
Hope that the grade boundaries may be low.
sc.JPG
Can anyone explain why B is correct and C is wrong? Please!:confused:
Oh what a coincidence!
I couldn't even solve for the calibration part in Bio practical:colonhash:
Uhhhh...My chem paper 2 didn't go so well. I found it pretty difficult and I didn't get the infra red spectroscopy part:colonhash: (thank goodness a whole question wasn't dedicated to that topic)..
Yeah Phy paper 2 was pretty straight forward, but i messed up in the ratio question:colonhash:
I'm just hoping and praying paper 1 goes well.... Bio p1 is easy, but Phy and Chem(especially)..they're super difficult :frown:

omg ...........both of us are like going through the same difficulties ....dude dont mind me asking but which school do u go to ?! "just want it to know ...if ur freinds are going through the same difficulty it would set a pretty low curve for getting an A ....inshallah "
anyways bio paper1 is easy unlike physics ewwwwwww...............chem is still bearable but physics is like u cant score above 20 ...
anyways ur going to give bio paper 1 tommrow ryte?
good luck :smile:
Original post by A.S.J
Omg. This is not fair!!!
No way man!
Cie i hate you.

Hey!! I found my paper hard as much as u found your paper hard! :eek::biggrin:
Original post by alyoan tariq
omg ...........both of us are like going through the same difficulties ....dude dont mind me asking but which school do u go to ?! "just want it to know ...if ur freinds are going through the same difficulty it would set a pretty low curve for getting an A ....inshallah "
anyways bio paper1 is easy unlike physics ewwwwwww...............chem is still bearable but physics is like u cant score above 20 ...
anyways ur going to give bio paper 1 tommrow ryte?
good luck :smile:

Yup Bio tomorrow...
Thamer

Quick Reply

Latest