The Student Room Group

What do i need to get an A?

I got 62/80 in my English Language CA GCSE. How many marks do i roughly need to get an A overall in my English Lang Exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! It would be easier to help if I knew which exam board you're on? :smile:
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx

hi i got 70 out of 80 in my coursework for AQA English Langauge
what would i need in the exam to get a B overall and a A overall?
thanks
Is this for GCSE, AS-Level, or A2-Level? :smile:
Original post by CogentVerbosity

GCSE
Reply 5

oh Its AQA, sorry forgot to mention
Reply 6
Original post by CogentVerbosity

GCSEs
I do ***believe*** that is a low A. In other words, just perform the same again and you should be able to get a solid A overall.
Reply 8
Original post by Jhoenne
I got 62/80 in my English Language CA. How many marks do i roughly need to get an A overall in my English Lang Exams.

AQA say that "
Once the exam scripts have been marked, we set the grade boundaries.Although exam boards aim to always set papers with the same level of difficulty, in practice papers do vary slightly. As it would be unfair for students to get a lower grade just because they sat a more difficult paper, grade boundaries are set for each individual exam.The process for deciding grade boundaries is called awarding and its overall aim is to ensure that standards are maintained from one year to the next. The awarding process is used to set grade boundaries for written exams, controlled assessment and coursework."This means it depends on the rest of the country and what marks they get. Still the higher the mark the higher the grade is likely to be.
Reply 9
Original post by draculaura
I do ***believe*** that is a low A. In other words, just perform the same again and you should be able to get a solid A overall.

My teacher said it is a high B apparently an A is 65/80
Generally my teachers liked to tell us that 80% gives you an A with AQA. Of course, grade boundaries change every year and As actually seem to be more at the 70% mark from what I can remember. It sounds like you're working at a good level though so keep it up! Sorry I couldn't give you a clearer answer, it's just difficult to determine when grade boundaries are always changing. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Helpmepickone
hi i got 70 out of 80 in my coursework for AQA English Langauge
what would i need in the exam to get a B overall and a A overall?
thanks

That sounds like an excellent level to be working at, I wouldn't say you have anything to worry about with achieving an A if you keep working at the same level. As I said above, it's difficult to determine what you need for certain grades because the boundaries change year by year HOWEVER As in AQA seem to fall between 70% and 80% from what I remember and 70/80 is 88%. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more precise with my answer :smile:
Reply 12
Generally my teachers liked to tell us that 80% gives you an A with AQA. Of course, grade boundaries change every year and As actually seem to be more at the 70% mark from what I can remember. It sounds like you're working at a good level though so keep it up! Sorry I couldn't give you a clearer answer, it's just difficult to determine when grade boundaries are always changing. Good luck :smile:

Thanks, i'll try to do my best in the exams; its fine i understand it's difficult to determine the grade boundaries; just hope they're kind :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending