The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asinghj
By the way, does anyone have any tips on time management? Should I do the 6 markers first and then the rest of the paper or what?

I always do them as they come up and just go through the paper like a book, then go back to any I miss out
Original post by asinghj
Literally the whole spec.. I think we might have a 6 marker on one of:
Transpiration
Transcription and translation
DNA replication
Cardiac cycle

On the breadth there wasn't much on
Diffusion
Active transport
Meiosis and mitosis (other than 1 multiple choice question)
Plant defence mechanisms (callose and chemicals)

Lol transcription won't come up - there was a 4 marker on it in the specimen papers.
Lol DNA replication won't come up, there was also a 4/5 marker on it in specimen papers.
I'm feeling mitosis and meiosis
Original post by ronnydandam
Lol transcription won't come up - there was a 4 marker on it in the specimen papers.
Lol DNA replication won't come up, there was also a 4/5 marker on it in specimen papers.

Anything else? I feel that microscopes would come up.
Original post by funkymonster
Well for squash slide you have to prepare a wet mount and then you use a lens tissue to press down the cover slip on the sample. Its best used for soft samples such as for root tip squashes.

Thank you :h::
Reply 1104
Transcription came up?

Well the specimen papers don't matter as they are not actual papers.. Look at Q6 on depth specimen paper, we had a similar one on breadth,
In all seriousness even translocation (came up in breadth) has a chance of popping up
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Anything else? I feel that microscopes would come up.

Apparently laser scanning confocal microscopy is new in this spec (wasn't on previous spec) so id say that has a higher chance of coming
Original post by bp_22
Transcription came up?

Oh yeah where was transcription on the specimen paper Ronny?
Hows everyones revision going? Any predictions for the paper?
btw how did you all find the sample depth paper?
Original post by asinghj
Apparently laser scanning confocal microscopy is new in this spec (wasn't on previous spec) so id say that has a higher chance of coming

That's the most confusing one.. It's the one with dyes right? Can't remember how it worked.
Original post by funkymonster
What do I need to know about plant defences?

Plants have active and passive defences. Passive defences are already present before infection and will prevent the entry of any pathogen.
Passive defences include physical barriers such as cellulose cell wall, waxy cuticle, lignin, stomatal closure, tylose and callose. Chemicals include terpernoids, phenols, alkaloids & hydrolytic enzymes. These are only produced when a pathogen is detected as they require a lot of energy.

Active defences just fortify passive defences e.g. extra cellulose and callose. Active defences also include necrosis which is deliberate cell suicide of a part of the plant that is infected and canker which is death of cambium tissue in the bark.
Reply 1111
Original post by asinghj

I think we only need to be able to recognize which pictures are from which microscopes for that part of the spec
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
That's the most confusing one.. It's the one with dyes right? Can't remember how it worked.

Lol I don't even know myself.. Gonna read up on it now
Original post by Normy18
I always do them as they come up and just go through the paper like a book, then go back to any I miss out

Thanks 👍
Original post by bp_22
I think we only need to be able to recognize which pictures are from which microscopes for that part of the spec

How do the pictures look like for the laser scanning thing look like?
Reply 1115
Experiment-type questions i found quite difficult, dont really know if tomorrow will be better than the specimen
Original post by mm_7
Hows everyones revision going? Any predictions for the paper?
btw how did you all find the sample depth paper?
Original post by bp_22
Experiment-type questions i found quite difficult, dont really know if tomorrow will be better than the specimen

Experiment questions are my weakest point :frown:
Original post by bp_22

Well I just found an exam style questions which said 'Outline how laser confocal microscopes produce an image'.

@asinghj so I guess they could ask more than just pictures..
Reply 1118
Lol not really sure, just googling them
"To include an appreciation of the images producedby a range of microscopes: light microscope,transmission electron microscope, scanning electronmicroscope and laser scanning confocal microscope." Only time i think its mentioned in the spec
Original post by asinghj
How do the pictures look like for the laser scanning thing look like?
Original post by asinghj
Oh yeah where was transcription on the specimen paper Ronny?

my bad I meant translation - locked paper, question 4. transcription might come but translation won't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending