The Student Room Group

transforming graph of sin x

Hi Guys ,
I'm trying to sketch the graph of on the attachment below and wanted to check a few details to see if I'm right . basically the the point where the new graph crosses the x-axis is(4pi/3) and (-2pi/3)? as the x-coordinates will move (pi/3) to the right direction?
Reply 1
yes, it moves pi/3 to the right, and if it is 10sin(x-pi/3), all of the y co-ordinates will be enlarged by a scale factor of ten, so the curve will oscillate between 10 and minus 10.
Yes, that's right but you're missing a couple of points:

•

The sin graph normally crosses at 0. This becomes π3\frac{\pi}{3}

•

You said this one - it normally crosses at π\pi, so now crosses at 4π3\frac{4\pi}{3}

•

You said this one to - it normally crosses at −π-\pi - this becomes −2π3\frac{-2\pi}{3}

•

It normally crosses at −2π-2\pi. This becomes −5π3\frac{-5\pi}{3}

Reply 3
Original post by AndroidOS
Yes, that's right but you're missing a couple of points:

•

The sin graph normally crosses at 0. This becomes π3\frac{\pi}{3}

•

You said this one - it normally crosses at π\pi, so now crosses at 4π3\frac{4\pi}{3}

•

You said this one to - it normally crosses at −π-\pi - this becomes −2π3\frac{-2\pi}{3}

•

It normally crosses at −2π-2\pi. This becomes −5π3\frac{-5\pi}{3}

Thanks. Just one more question. Im trying to solve the equation in the attachment, what i've done was subtract 1.08 from each part of the orginal interval which will be added to the final andwers to get everything withing the original interval but when it comes to the x-1.08=1.27 i get confused, is 1.27 the angle i should use to find other values or should i add it to the 1.08 and that become the angle i can use to find other values ? Hope i've explained clear enough image.jpg
Reply 4
Is this for core 2?
Reply 5
Original post by OGGUS
Is this for core 2?

Nah it's for C4
Reply 6
Original post by Alen.m
Nah it's for C4

okay cool
Original post by Alen.m
Thanks. Just one more question. Im trying to solve the equation in the attachment, what i've done was subtract 1.08 from each part of the orginal interval which will be added to the final andwers to get everything withing the original interval but when it comes to the x-1.08=1.27 i get confused, is 1.27 the angle i should use to find other values or should i add it to the 1.08 and that become the angle i can use to find other values ? Hope i've explained clear enough image.jpg

You should use the 1.27.
Reply 8
How about add it to 1.08 and use that?

Quick Reply

Latest