The Student Room Group

What's your political ideology?

Scroll to see replies

Aspirational political capitalist.
Left libertarian- I'd consider myself more centre left really though.
Whole world will be an Islamic theocracy for world peace and salvation inshallah
central perpendicular diagonal borderline tangent
Reply 44
Right libertarian.
image.png

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Left libertarian
Since I first did the test I have moved a bit more central, I think moreso right than up
I have to admit that since becoming a parent I have become more and more authoritarian. My ideology is 'small Government, strong state'.
Original post by meenu89
I have to admit that since becoming a parent I have become more and more authoritarian. My ideology is 'small Government, strong state'.

I don't know if being a parent has changed my views, although it's probably solidified them in some way. Or we could just be getting old!

Can't remember if I've answered alteady- I support mixed Governments, Mixed Economies and a strong, federal EU.
Original post by Davij038
I don't know if being a parent has changed my views, although it's probably solidified them in some way. Or we could just be getting old!

Can't remember if I've answered alteady- I support mixed Governments, Mixed Economies and a strong, federal EU.

So you want to remain in the EU?
Original post by Quamquam123
So you want to remain in the EU?

Yes.

Personally, I see no reason to leave and plenty of reasons to stay.
chart.png
Original post by Davij038
Yes.

Personally, I see no reason to leave and plenty of reasons to stay.

Just out of interest, what do you think the main benefits of the EU are?
Original post by meenu89

I assume that means a night watchman's state. How is the government small when it enters every single economic transaction based around private property?

Are you going to arrest me when I pirate information? Doe the "small strong" government have beef when I exercise my liberty and click download on my home PC?

At least you aren't pretending to be all free and libertarian :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I assume that means a night watchman's state. How is the government small when it enters every single economic transaction based around private property?

Are you going to arrest me when I pirate information? Doe the "small strong" government have beef when I exercise my liberty and click download on my home PC?

I agree with Meenu and i think what she means is that we prefer a government who does little because a lot of what government does is not necessary. .
Just out of interest, what do you think the main benefits of the EU are?

The single market- in particular the contribution it has to protect workers from untrammelled globalisation and by making war amongst EU members next to impossible- plus it allows collective outcomes such as the trade sanctions against Russia or environmental regulations or tax havens etc.

I've talked before about the EU as a social contract between states, who lose their freedom in the anarchical state of nature, and as a result are empowered by a collective, civilising body.
Original post by Rakas21
I agree with Meenu and i think what she means is that we prefer a government who does little because a lot of what government does is not necessary. .

Really?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Pirating is illegal at the moment but the police don't have the resources to deal with it.
Pirating is illegal at the moment but the police don't have the resources to deal with it.

Yeah I know. But the state is far reaching. Not very libertarian.

Original post by Rakas21

I think she meant the government does little but what it does do it enforces with an iron fist. Sounds a tad night-watchman state. I just disagree that the government does little. It's everywhere. Although Meenu described herself as authoritarian. So I said she is honest. Most people who think like her describe themselves as libertarians which is what I take issue with.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RayApparently
For those of you think in cold, clinical diagrams and tables - where do you fall within the 4 quadrants of the political compass?

And if you, like so many TSRians need examinations (preferably in timed conditions!) to tell you things about yourself, here's a handy quiz - https://www.politicalcompass.org/test :biggrin:

Are you a rebel who's complex and elevated views can't be reduced to simple geometry? Feel free to post below if you're an Anarcho-sindicalist Marxist or an Neo-liberal Environmentalist Democrat.

Centre-right, wherever that falls on your compass thingy
Really?

Yes. Government does plenty of nonsense stuff on equality for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending