The Student Room Group

Thinking of going vegan. Advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Oh no, Red velvet cake :frown:

VEGAN RED VELVET CAKE EXISTS.

And it's only for 2x a week or something for a month so I can go wild the rest of the days :colone:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I know a cupcake shop which sells vegan cakes and eclairs.

Ooooo
Go vegan if you want but take vitamin supplements - you can get vegan pills which have all the vitamins that vegans don't usually get! Otherwise you might get deficiencies!
Original post by dylan1016
You're crazy.

Every girl is babe.
Every girl is babe.

And so I've learnt.
Original post by dylan1016
And so I've learnt.

:biggrin:
Reply 26
Be careful of not eating loads of carbs. You'll get unhealthy pretty quick );
Goodluck.I tried to go vegan for an hour but gave up.Too many chicken shops in my area.
if youre only doing it for ashort period of time why dont u wait until after your birthday and exams?
Hey I have been vegan for a while and I hope I can help out? There are tons of alternatives for the things you used to eat, you can eat the same things you love just with vegan ingredients:smile: going vegan was the best thing I have ever done for myself and the animals. I am so much healthier now and it feels so good knowing your food isn't a result of animal suffering. I also was only going vegan for a month because I wanted to lose weight but once I lost a bit of weight I didn't want to not be vegan because I felt healthier. Also some vegans do take supplements however you don't have to if you eat a lot of the right foods, I am have never had supplements and I am in good health! If you have any questions then I can help out:biggrin:
Reply 30
if you want, you dont eat meat anyway so you have less to give up than a meat eater would

Im a meat eater but there is a stigma around vegans being self righteous morons, dont feel deterred by it. Its a good lifestyle choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
So I'm a vegetarian and I've been really interested in veganism. After my final exam next week I'm going to try going vegan but I'm nervous I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I love cake from Tescos way too much and I won't be able to have it. And since it's my birthday the week after, I'm a bit nervous because my parents will most probably get non vegan food.

So because I'm starting out I'm considering going vegan only on the weekends and then building my way up. So if there are any vegans are there, any helpful advice?

NOTE- I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT'S NOT A LONG TERM THING.

If you are going to be vegan, do it properly. That means no usage of any animal products (including honey - you'd be surprised how many "vegans" either don't realise or conveniently forget where this comes from). And no wearing leather, wool, silk etc. Vegan = no USE of animal products, not just no CONSUMPTION.

Good luck. I have nothing against veganism at all. I just hate self contradictions.
Omnivore= Top tier

Vegitatian= Yeah fine not crazy at all

Vegan= Crazy.

Stick to being a veggie, but going vegan for a day or two to see is ok, just don't do the vegan shoes vegan clothes stuff
Original post by Platopus
If you are going to be vegan, do it properly. That means no usage of any animal products (including honey - you'd be surprised how many "vegans" either don't realise or conveniently forget where this comes from). And no wearing leather, wool, silk etc. Vegan = no USE of animal products, not just no CONSUMPTION.

Good luck. I have nothing against veganism at all. I just hate self contradictions.

I was on the vegan society website and they pretty much said that if you didn't want to jump into it just take it slow.

And yeah I wear cotton clothes anyway so I'm covered there.
Going vegan is like willingly neutering yourself. Have a steak everyday instead, and some fried eggs.

Edit: Just saw you are vegetarian. Well nothing beats a daily steak. You can still have fried eggs.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're turning vegan?
It's bullying time...
*cracks knuckles*
I have to disagree with your ethical argument. I think it is an over-simplification of the reality of the meat industry. No matter how pleasant an animals death may be, it does not in any way compensate for the poor quality of life many animals suffer. Not to mention that many of the species we have bred for the meat industry are bred to grow fast, often resulting in chickens for example being unable to support their own body weight.

I was actually reading up that vegans need to take iron and B12 supplements.. I'm not thinking of doing it long term. I just want to do it for a month or something.

Our body builds up stores of vitamin B12, so in the short term it isn't too great of a worry, plus many foods such as cereals and milk substitutes are fortified with B12. Iron is something to keep an eye on though, especially for women.
Original post by champ_mc99
As long as you don't have the intrinsic need to tell every person you're a vegan.

I get told that vegans tell everyone they're vegan much more than vegans tell me they're vegan.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I get told that vegans tell everyone they're vegan much more than vegans tell me they're vegan.

I personally don't know any vegans but I'm just following along with the joke. :biggrin:
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Going vegan is like willingly neutering yourself. Have a steak everyday instead, and some fried eggs.

Edit: Just saw you are vegetarian. Well nothing beats a daily steak. You can still have fried eggs.

If you had a steak every day you are slowly killing yourself. Yum all that heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

Quick Reply

Latest