The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAROX15
Scale of 1 to 10 how scared is everyone for this exam (10 being a horror film in real life).

5/6
Original post by IAROX15
Scale of 1 to 10 how scared is everyone for this exam (10 being a horror film in real life).

It is a tough one, im getting 70/75 for core 3 and 4 gold exams but for some inexplicable reason i cant not make really dumb errors on mechanics papers...its infuriating.

Its definately the paper that is easiest to mess up on
Original post by KloppOClock
thrust is basically the opposite of tension.

Imagine tension happens when you stretch a string, thrust occurs when you compress a string.

Generaly Impulse acts opposite to the particle so for example:

O----> <-Impulse-> <----O

So if object A and B connected via towbar which has a thrust, woukd it be like this

A--<->--B
Original post by philo-jitsu
It is a tough one, im getting 70/75 for core 3 and 4 gold exams but for some inexplicable reason i cant not make really dumb errors on mechanics papers...its infuriating.

Its definately the paper that is easiest to mess up on

I read an examiners report and they penalise you for answers which are 'too precise'??!?
Original post by metrize
So if object A and B connected via towbar which has a thrust, woukd it be like this

A--<->--B

Yes, but you have to know when that thrust would occur. For example, say if B was a car and A was a trailer, if B moving at speed then decided to brake, thrust would occur as the towbar would compress.
Original post by IAROX15
I read an examiners report and they penalise you for answers which are 'too precise'??!?

whenever you use an aproxomations such as g=9.8 you have to round to 2 or 3 significant figures.
Original post by IAROX15

Really!?...well thats comforting....i always use 9.81 for gravity because thats what we use for ohysics....defo could lose some points for that
Original post by philo-jitsu
Really!?...well thats comforting....i always use 9.81 for gravity because thats what we use for ohysics....defo could lose some points for that

oh gosh i really hope that doesnt trip me up.
Reply 548
Original post by Cryptokyo
In regards to your questions.

1. The question states that u2<12glu^{2}<\frac{1}{2}gl. This inequality is here such that the particle with speed 2u2u does not collide with the pulley. Hence neither particle goes above a height ll from their original position.

2. Both particles must get tension at the same time as they are connected by a single string. Tension occurs will the length of the string is of definite length 2l2l with no slack. In reality there would be rebound but this does not have to be considered for the question.

3. There would be tension if, and only if both particles were in their original position.

Hints for question
Split the problem into the 3 parts:
- When both A and B are going upwards.
- When A is going upwards and B goes downwards.
- When both A and B are going downwards.

Hope this helps,
Cryptokyo

Do you think something like this could come up in the real exam?
Original post by RKM21

100% No. A question like that has never come up before.
Original post by Pavinder100
The likelihood of this happening is slim, but what would you lot do if there was a question about pulleys where instead of it being smooth it was rough

Question 8 from june 2015 IAL has a pully with a rough surface. Try it its easier than you think!
Yes, but you have to know when that thrust would occur. For example, say if B was a car and A was a trailer, if B moving at speed then decided to brake, thrust would occur as the towbar would compress.

Ah that makes sense, thanks a lot!
Original post by rockingmax
Question 8 from june 2015 IAL has a pully with a rough surface. Try it its easier than you think!

Im assuming you just apply friction the opposite direction of the heaviest object?...beauce friction would be opposing the acceleration?

I looked at that question , its a smooth pulley

i think he means the actualy pulley being rough
Could someone help me with January 2014 IAL Q7b :/
Original post by RKM21

No. It is a bit too much for a single question and normally it would have numbers rather than letters. But of course pulleys will be tested in the exam, but this question goes a bit further than needs be for the topic of pulleys.
Original post by particlestudent

a(2i-j) + b(i+3j) = (9i+13j)
Original post by particlestudent

The vector P is parallel to the 2ij 2i-j so it has a general form p(2ij) p (2i-j) where p is a constant.
The vector Q is parallel to the i+3j i+3j so it has a general form q(i+3j) q (i+3j) where q is a constant.

Then when these vectors are added together they are equal to the vector F.

Try it from here.

Solution in spoiler.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
a(2i-j) + b(i+3j) = (9i+13j)

9 marks just for this, what are they doing to us!:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending