Sorry forget to add that:tongue:
Original post by Geraer100
Sorry forget to add that:tongue:

Sorry mate haven't done the paper yet .
Original post by Vesniep
Sorry mate haven't done the paper yet .

Yeah no problem, thanks any way!:smile:
Original post by Geraer100
STEP II, 2013 Q3 part ii, to deduce b>0, I used the fact that the smaller root of the turning points >0 so -a-sqroot(a^2-b)>0, so
-sqroot(a^2-b)>a, then squaring and cancelling gives b>0, I don't know if this is right.

and to deduce a<0, I used the same argument as above, as -sqroot(a^2-b)>a, a must be negative.

and c<0, I just said that this can be deduced from the graph (in order to have 3 positive roots).

I don't know if all this is correct or not (The answer from TSR forum is done in a different way).:smile:

Would you mind spoilering this? Haven't done this paper yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Step iii, 2014

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Would you mind spoilering this? Haven't done this paper yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done! And sorry about that, didn't notice that before:biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, alright. You'll have a bank of solutions up on TSR by the end of the second day for further checking/worrying. :tongue:

Cool.

On a side note, I am practicing STEP complex numbers/vectors questions right now, and I am kind of stuck on understanding one thing. I am currently doing III 2014 Question 5 and for ABCD being a square, none of the solutions I've looked at (TSR, mark scheme, official hints and solutions, examiner's report) explain why the iff condition is the one that needs to be shown. The only hint I got was from the mark scheme which says that arg(ba)+π2=cb\arg(b-a) +\frac{\pi}{2} = c-b but do not explain further that. What am I missing? It is possible that it is something simple and basic so don't judge me, I almost never did any complex number questions before this week. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
Original post by Insight314
Cool.

On a side note, I am practicing STEP complex numbers/vectors questions right now, and I am kind of stuck on understanding one thing. I am currently doing III 2014 Question 5 and for ABCD being a square, none of the solutions I've looked at (TSR, mark scheme, official hints and solutions, examiner's report) explain why the iff condition is the one that needs to be shown. The only hint I got was from the mark scheme which says that arg(ba)+π2=cb\arg(b-a) +\frac{\pi}{2} = c-b but do not explain further that. What am I missing? It is possible that it is something simple and basic so don't judge me, I almost never did any complex number questions before this week. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I haven't done III 2014 just yet! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know that multiplying by e^iθ represents a rotation of theta degrees anti-clockwise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Do you know that multiplying by e^iθ represents a rotation of theta degrees anti-clockwise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. This is for last part of the question as far as I can recall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, I haven't done III 2015 just yet! :frown:

It's 2014 though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 532
It's 2014 though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops, I meant 2014.
Reply 533
Can I quote the arctan addition formulae or do I have to prove them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For 1 2014 question 2(iii) why do they lose the modulus signs on the first line of working in the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991

Posted from TSR Mobile

quoting shud be ok tbh. it is one line prof anyway just say "let A=arctan n B= leads to A+B=...
Original post by Glavien
For 1 2014 question 2(iii) why do they lose the modulus signs on the first line of working in the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

think about |x|=x or -x dependng if x>=0 or x<0.
Reply 537
Original post by fa991

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd add in the extra line of proof. It shouldn't take longer than 10 seconds extra than just quoting it.
Reply 538
Original post by physicsmaths
quoting shud be ok tbh. it is one line prof anyway just say "let A=arctan n B= leads to A+B=...

Original post by Zacken
I'd add in the extra line of proof. It shouldn't take longer than 10 seconds extra than just quoting it.

Okay thanks, I'll just prove it since it's not too big a deal
Reply 539
Original post by fa991
Okay thanks, I'll just prove it since it's not too big a deal

This is the way I would do it:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending