The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I have created a resource that has loads of Case studies for Biodiversity Under Threat, Energy Security and Water Conflicts. I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone needs any help or further information that could be added to your answer in the exam.
Original post by Curlot
I have created a resource that has loads of Case studies for Biodiversity Under Threat, Energy Security and Water Conflicts. I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone needs any help or further information that could be added to your answer in the exam.

Thanks this is really helpful.
Original post by courtneyl7a7
What could they ask about the Views on page 7, or how could they be integrated/ mentioned in an answer?

Possibly about whether China/India growth is sustainable?
View 1 - food and energy insecurity - the need to develop renewable sources (China has done this, India not so much)
view 2 - poverty - India still extreme poverty and discrimination - China pulled 680m out of poverty since 1981 due to industrialisation and rural-urban migration - but still problems with rural poverty
view 3 - infrastructure problems - India shanty towns - causing India not to become a superpower - China recent upgrades and improvements to infrastructure
view 4 - growth model not sustainable - seen by China's declining and ageing economy - wages are increasing, causing TNCs to move to Vietnam and workers to move back to rural family - Link to One child policy causing future problems
view 5 - China disputes over South China sea - for example China building airstrips on islands - link to biodiversity, coral reefs have been destroyed for the new islands - increased geopolitical tensions could cause current superpower USA to get involved
Original post by JoshFlySon
Possibly about whether China/India growth is sustainable?
View 1 - food and energy insecurity - the need to develop renewable sources (China has done this, India not so much)
view 2 - poverty - India still extreme poverty and discrimination - China pulled 680m out of poverty since 1981 due to industrialisation and rural-urban migration - but still problems with rural poverty
view 3 - infrastructure problems - India shanty towns - causing India not to become a superpower - China recent upgrades and improvements to infrastructure
view 4 - growth model not sustainable - seen by China's declining and ageing economy - wages are increasing, causing TNCs to move to Vietnam and workers to move back to rural family - Link to One child policy causing future problems
view 5 - China disputes over South China sea - for example China building airstrips on islands - link to biodiversity, coral reefs have been destroyed for the new islands - increased geopolitical tensions could cause current superpower USA to get involved

Thank you! Do you think where the sources came from are of big importance?
Original post by courtneyl7a7
Thank you! Do you think where the sources came from are of big importance?

I don't think they are that important, but it could be useful to know to evaluate the sources possibly?
any predictions for unit 3 water and energy and also the synoptic?
Does anyone have predictions for biodiversity?
For section b superpowers, what does figure 3: China and India's trade - what does it interpret and suggest?
For section b superpowers, what does figure 3: China and India's trade - what does it interpret and suggest?

I think it suggests energy insecurity as they both import mostly raw materials. India more than China. It could show how other superpowers such as the USA are reliant on them for goods as they both export most to the USA. It could link to development as India exports rice so suggests a big agricultural sector as it must also grow enough for the huge population.
Original post by ombtom
How many pages do you usually write for 10 and 15 mark answers? :smile:

About a page 1 and maybe slightly more, but I recommend not exceeding 1/3 of the 2nd page. For a 15 mark 1.5 page which could be extended to 2 page I guess. This also depends on how big the writing is. The focus should remain on the quality of the writing than the quantity. There are some questions you'll be able to write a lot whilst others have little. So try to get the relevant points across, don't spend too long on a question. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
can anyone suggest large scalewater management projects apart from the 3 Gorges Dam and South-North transfer?
Original post by Curlot

Thanks so much , very kind of you!
What could you say about figure 7: democracy versus economic development in Asia??
I don't think they are that important, but it could be useful to know to evaluate the sources possibly?

My teacher has never told us to evaluate the sources, is it necessary to do it for top marks?
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
can anyone suggest large scalewater management projects apart from the 3 Gorges Dam and South-North transfer?

Akosombo dam, Pergau dam, Toshka project.
Reply 395
How was everyone been studying for the synoptic part (pre-release)?
My teachers not been any help and I'm worried I am underprepared, despite exhausting all possible revision routes😕
assess how a range of players who can reduce the development gap often have conflicting priorities?

HELP!

we havent had any lesson on this
Reply 397
Original post by ombtom
Akosombo dam, Pergau dam, Toshka project.

The Snowy Mountains in Australia
Reply 398
Original post by Emsx
How was everyone been studying for the synoptic part (pre-release)?
My teachers not been any help and I'm worried I am underprepared, despite exhausting all possible revision routes😕

You could try and answer some questions that may be along the same as the exam questions. But if you do don't learn the answer examiners can tell because your not always answering what's actually asked,
Example; To what exten does China/India meet the criteria for 'superpower status'?
Good luck:smile:
Reply 399

When I looked at it I identified that China has a higher level exports of mostly quaternary level goods. Whereas, India is still exporting Primary and Secondary goods. A sign of a less developed economy and less FDI.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending