The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

Predictions for tomorrow??
After transcription in Eukaryotic cells pre-mRNA needs to be modified because it contains introns (part of the gene which don't code for a polypeptide). The introns are therefore 'spliced' (removed) out of the sequence, only leaving exons(parts of the mRNA sequence which do code for poypeptides) in the final mRNA .The entire sequence of mRNA in prokaryotes code directly for polypeptides and so do not need to be modified.
Original post by Namita Gurung
We did a mock in school a few weeks ago, which was one of the specimen papers that aren't disclosed to the students so I can't find the answers anywhere.

Just realised I didn't mark one of the questions properly. Please help :redface:

Q) In a eukaryotic cell, transcription results in a molecule of pre-mRNA that is modified to produce mRNA. In a prokaryotic cell transcription produces mRNA directly. Explain this difference.

I know that it's to do with the complexity of eukaryotic cells but don't know exactly what the answer should have.
Any help greatly appreciated!

I'm not entirely sure and i'm might be missing out important points, but prokaryotic cells don't have non-coding DNA, so splicing/modifying doesn't need to occur, meaning it produces the mRNA directly. This is unlike transcription in a eukaryotic cell as these cells contain introns (non-coding parts of the DNA) within and between genes which must be edited/spliced out but cannot be spliced out immediately as the entire molecule has to be transcribed (There's no way around this) resulting in pre-mRNA. The depth it wants depends on the number of marks, but i think the basis is that prokaryotic DNA doesn't have non-coding sections, so the mRNA is directly made.

Edit - I typed this out without realising someone had already replied, sorry for the repeat :3
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by olievans
After transcription in Eukaryotic cells pre-mRNA needs to be modified because it contains introns (part of the gene which don't code for a polypeptide). The introns are therefore 'spliced' (removed) out of the sequence, only leaving exons(parts of the mRNA sequence which do code for poypeptides) in the final mRNA .The entire sequence of mRNA in prokaryotes code directly for polypeptides and so do not need to be modified.

Original post by Laurenloops
I'm not entirely sure and i'm might be missing out important points, but prokaryotic cells don't have non-coding DNA, so splicing/modifying doesn't need to occur, meaning it produces the mRNA directly. This is unlike transcription in a eukaryotic cell as these cells contain introns (non-coding parts of the DNA) within and between genes which must be edited/spliced out but cannot be spliced out immediately as the entire molecule has to be transcribed (There's no way around this) resulting in pre-mRNA. The depth it wants depends on the number of marks, but i think the basis is that prokaryotic DNA doesn't have non-coding sections, so the mRNA is directly made.

Thank you both! It makes sense to me :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Namita Gurung
We did a mock in school a few weeks ago, which was one of the specimen papers that aren't disclosed to the students so I can't find the answers anywhere.

Just realised I didn't mark one of the questions properly. Please help :redface:

Q) In a eukaryotic cell, transcription results in a molecule of pre-mRNA that is modified to produce mRNA. In a prokaryotic cell transcription produces mRNA directly. Explain this difference.

I know that it's to do with the complexity of eukaryotic cells but don't know exactly what the answer should have.
Any help greatly appreciated!

In eukaryotes, the introns and exon are both copied into mRNA during transcription. mRNA strands containing introns and exons are pre-mRNA. In pre-mRNA splicing occurs to remove the introns which are non-coding. Whereas, in prokaryotes, mRNA is produced directly from the DNA,without splicing-splicing is not needed due to there being no introns in prokaryotic DNA.
Original post by rumana101
In eukaryotes, the introns and exon are both copied into mRNA during transcription. mRNA strands containing introns and exons are pre-mRNA. In pre-mRNA splicing occurs to remove the introns which are non-coding. Whereas, in prokaryotes, mRNA is produced directly from the DNA,without splicing-splicing is not needed due to there being no introns in prokaryotic DNA.

Thank you! :h:
mass transport system of the heart
Can anyone explain this to me plzzz?
***********************PLEASE HELP******************

WHAT TIME IS THE EXAM

aqa biology as paper 2

please reply ASAP
Original post by asdfghk13
***********************PLEASE HELP******************

WHAT TIME IS THE EXAM

aqa biology as paper 2

please reply ASAP

13:30 pm
thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much , now i have an extra 4 hours to revise in the morning so going to have a good nights sleep
ive got it half 9
Original post by Zain khan
ive got it half 9

how? isn't everyone supposed to have It same time?
did anyone give paper 1 CIE AS for bio?
I thought everyone had it around half 1 so answers can't be leaked :confused:
Original post by Productivity
ror.png
Edit: the value is a minus as the gradient is negative.

It's a negative gradient so the answer needs to have a minus in front.
I have it at 13:45...
Original post by allxcey
Predictions for tomorrow??

well nothing on chapters 6-10 came up in the first paper.
it was 1-5 even though it shouldnt have. im only revising 6-10
Original post by Collombia
I have it at 13:45...

Are you sure?...
The exam officially starts at 1.30 but schools can chose to make it half an hour earlier or later. Therefore anything from 1pm to 2pm.
I find it hard to believe some people are doing the paper at 9:30, this means that you can just share answers at 11:00 and you'd have 2 and a half hours to do this.

Having the paper at 1:45 wouldnt make any difference though as its not like we have any way of telling you what comes up in the first and last 15 mins

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending