The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
I don't know if we will vote to leave or not, but if we do, people like you will be the reason.

You typify the Remain voter and their Campaign. You think you know best, that those who disagree with you are "morons" and don't believe the British people should be entrusted with a democratic vote as to their future as a country.

You couldn't really be more patronising and obnoxious. And anti democratic!

Who are you to say that "poor, vulnerable, impressionable people" are too stupid to know which way to vote? Unlike (I imagine) you?

The arrogance is breathtaking.

I'm sorry, but I cannot take Brexiters seriously and that won't change. You can call me arrogant but this is the opinion of a large part of our electorate, and it is backed by years of evidence, experience, and general common sense. No need to insult me and get emotional; your opinion will be subjected to contention by me on my own thread if you argue points I thoroughly disagree with. You're not being forced to say anything, and I'm not trying to take away your vote.

Edit: I said "no need to insult me" but I called all Brexiters morons. I'm sorry, that was hypocritical.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm sorry, but I cannot take Brexiters seriously and that won't change. You can call me arrogant but this is the opinion of a large part of our electorate, and it is backed by years of evidence, experience, and general common sense. No need to insult me and get emotional; your opinion will be subjected to contention by me on my own thread if you argue points I thoroughly disagree with. You're not being forced to say anything, and I'm not trying to take away your vote.

Edit: I said "no need to insult me" but I called all Brexiters morons. I'm sorry, that was hypocritical.

I don't just call you arrogant; I call you disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't just call you arrogant; I call you disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay cool!
Original post by Mathemagicien
What does the farming industry matter? Far more important are the high tech and knowledge-based industries.

Sure, I agree but it isn't a sensible idea to cause the collapse of industry that directly or indirectly employees hundreds of thousands.
No one falls back on the unknown, it'll be a Remain vote - a narrow one, but remain nonetheless.
I'm sorry, but I cannot take Brexiters seriously and that won't change.

Well might you apologise! You have, out of your own mouth, admitted to being a bigot and said you won't change...

big·otˈ biɡət /noun

a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

You can call me arrogant

I do

but this is the opinion of a large part of our electorate,

Yes it is. So what? The contrary view is the opinion of an even larger part of the electorate, according to the two polls published today which I cited.

and it is backed by years of evidence,

What evidence?

experience,

What experience?

and general common sense.

Ha ha ha! Like a lot of of people, the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the EU is "general common sense."

If we stay we are signing up to levels of immigration over which we have no control whatsoever.

Whomsoever wishes to come here from Europe can do so, under free movement of peoples.

Whether or not we have houses, or schools or hospitals to accommodate them.

However stretched our infrastructure, too bad, they can come, we can't stop them. And they have been coming in their millions over the years, you may have noticed.

Would it be "general common sense" to invite everyone in the neighbourhood who wants to, to come and live in your house?

Or is it just "general common sense" to allow in a city the size of Coventry, every single year?

Supposing twice that number decide to come would that be "general common sense"? Three times, a nice round net million? Every single year?

and get emotional;

We care about this more than you.

your opinion will be subjected to contention by me on my own thread if you argue points I thoroughly disagree with.

Quite so. Argue away to your hearts content. Why don't you start by explaining where we can find Europe's demos?

You're not being forced to say anything,

I'll like to see you try! :smile:

and I'm not trying to take away your vote.

You said that it was a mistake to call the referendum in the first place. So you would rather not only me, but everyone in the country did not have a vote.

Yes it was.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Sure, I agree but it isn't a sensible idea to cause the collapse of industry that directly or indirectly employees hundreds of thousands.

Is it a "sensible idea" that 3% of the EU's population, creating 6% of its GDP get 30% of the total budget though CAP handouts?
Reply 107
When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?

There was a poll recently which pushed the undecided to choose, and it was pretty much a 50/50 split between leave and remain.

The fact that leave voters actually care mean they're going to go out and vote more than remain voters. This, combined with their current majority mean that on June 24th I'll wave my flag a little bit then go for my exam.
Original post by generallee
Is it a "sensible idea" that 3% of the EU's population, creating 6% of its GDP get 30% of the total budget though CAP handouts?

Nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say CAP was a sensible idea. It will remain whether Brexit is there or not.
Can someone explain to me exactly what are the benefits of leaving?
Reply 110
Original post by Mowerharvey
Can someone explain to me exactly what are the benefits of leaving?

Are you content with having no control over the laws imposed on you?
If I came up to you, told you you weren't allowed to wear shoes and you had to give me £10 for the privilege of telling you what to do, would you listen to me?
Original post by EuanF
Are you content with having no control over the laws imposed on you?
If I came up to you, told you you weren't allowed to wear shoes and you had to give me £10 for the privilege of telling you what to do, would you listen to me?

Well no, but I don't think the EU works like that
Reply 112
Well no, but I don't think the EU works like that

You wouldn't do it because I have no right to tell you what to do, correct?
You agree that someone needs a basis for their authority?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Hopefully, stay.

The Leave vote would lead to the long term exodus of business to the Continent to access the single market.

The EU will not let the UK have full access to the market without concessions on migration and EU regulations.

If you want evidence about the economy, just look at the pound. The second worst performing currency out of the 16 major world currencies.

That is complete horse poo, there is no evidence whatsoever that there will be any exodus, in fact many businesses have said that it will make little impact to their focus on UK markets, if they were focussed on their european market then they would be situated in the Eurozone in the first place.

Its not going to be a free meal, there might be fees and token quotas of migration but its better than 350m a week + unlimited migration of unskilled labour (88% of eu migrants would not pass international immigration requirements).

There is a short term dip in the pound as a result of the uncertainty in the market but the vote isn't based on short term speculation but on long term projections for prosperity.. If you look at economic performance overall its a whole other story.
Original post by EuanF
You wouldn't do it because I have no right to tell you what to do, correct?
You agree that someone needs a basis for their authority?

I agree that someone would need a basis for their authority
Reply 115
I agree that someone would need a basis for their authority

Alright. So in a democratic system, the basis for authority comes from the mandate of the people, correct? They were chosen by the people to lead, so they have a basis to lead.
Original post by EuanF
Alright. So in a democratic system, the basis for authority comes from the mandate of the people, correct? They were chosen by the people to lead, so they have a basis to lead.

That is the basis of democracy, yes
Original post by AverageExcellence
That is complete horse poo, there is no evidence whatsoever that there will be any exodus, in fact many businesses have said that it will make little impact to their focus on UK markets, if they were focussed on their european market then they would be situated in the Eurozone in the first place.

Except HSBC, or the 7/10 US businesses that employ UK workers that said that Brexit would have a strong or negative impact on investment in the UK.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/97a1c468-07d2-11e6-a623-b84d06a39ec2.html#axzz4Aq0dJoYX

That is just a 10 second google search.

Its not going to be a free meal, there might be fees and token quotas of migration but its better than 350m a week + unlimited migration of unskilled labour (88% of eu migrants would not pass international immigration requirements). .

It isn't 350 million a week. Another Brexit lie.

There is a short term dip in the pound as a result of the uncertainty in the market but the vote isn't based on short term speculation but on long term projections for prosperity.. If you look at economic performance overall its a whole other story.

It isn't a "short term" dip. The pound is the 2nd worst performing major currency out of 16 major ones in the past year.

Obviously, the markets think it is a stupid idea, but facts don't matter to you.
Original post by sleepysnooze
remaining in the EU will actually hurt us economically over the long-term

Show me the data
Reply 119
That is the basis of democracy, yes

Alright. The EU commission is a body that is both unelected and is capable of proposing legislation. As they are unelected, they don't have a democratic mandate and thus no right to authority, agreed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending