The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Can anyone explain the specification point - Explain how Condensation polymers may be photodegradable as the C=O bond absorbs radiation.

Is it just that the C=O bond absorbs IR and becomes weak and brittle, and the amide/ester bonds break?
Reply 541
Original post by AqsaMx
Can anyone explain the specification point - Explain how Condensation polymers may be photodegradable as the C=O bond absorbs radiation.

Is it just that the C=O bond absorbs IR and becomes weak and brittle, and the amide/ester bonds break?

Please never use the word brittle to describe a chemical bond.
Reply 542
Original post by alow
Please never use the word brittle to describe a chemical bond.

I meant the polymer becomes brittle
Reply 543
Can anyone explain what a labile proton actually means? A proton that can be exchanged?
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I wish I knew lol hang on let me find the question ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465078992.152548.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465079079.845987.jpg

So when I'm drawing the spectrum, why is the CH2 singlet peak between 3.3-4.3ppm instead of ~2-3ppm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year is this paper?! :O
I got 7.77...something
Original post by suibster
surely it's because the carbon atom attached to the 2Hs is also attached to an oxygen.Therefore the corresponding chemical shift would be 3.3-4.3,which represents the HC-O proton signal.

Exactly, surely it would be HC-O bond, shift 3.3-4.3 and not the CH2 peak and a separate OH group? I'm so confused, I've always done it this way
image.jpg

This is what me and my friend also got for the trichloroethanal question
Has anyone got a list/diagram/poster of what transition metal reactions we need to know? Like all of the colours of the metal ions and the ligand exchange reactions?
Original post by ReeceM1
Has anyone got a list/diagram/poster of what transition metal reactions we need to know? Like all of the colours of the metal ions and the ligand exchange reactions?

Have you looked at the specification? I think it explains very clearly what is required.
Original post by ReeceM1

Pretty sure its the last point on the specification, or atleast near the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want to get an A in chemistry so I've done all the past papers on OCR website at least 3 times... would doing legacy papers be of any help or should I not even bother with them?! ADVICE PLEASE!!!
Original post by seph_muriel
I really want to get an A in chemistry so I've done all the past papers on OCR website at least 3 times... would doing legacy papers be of any help or should I not even bother with them?! ADVICE PLEASE!!!

I think as long as you've learnt all the content then doing legacy papers could help.
And where can you find them. I want to do them aswell.:yes: Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plenty of old past papers here: http://pastpapers.org/chemistry-a2-papers

Enjoy everyone :wink:
Reply 554
image.jpeg

Could anyone explain this question? And why doesn't OH substitute the Iodine?
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

I think it's just asking for structures with the molecular formula C4H8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

OH is acting as a base under these conditions and so alkenes are formed. The conditions for nucleophilic substitution are different.
Do we have to LEARN Sc3+ and Zn2+ are the only ions Sc/Zn form and therefore their respective electronic configurations prove that they are not transition elements? 6 marker came up on it a couple of years ago :s
Original post by itsConnor_
Do we have to LEARN Sc3+ and Zn2+ are the only ions Sc/Zn form and therefore their respective electronic configurations prove that they are not transition elements? 6 marker came up on it a couple of years ago :s

Sc and Zn have only 1 stable ion, which is the one you said. Its not bad to remember, you just have to know their ion'a d subshell has 10e (for zn) and 0e (for Sc), so theyre not partially filled meaning theyre not transition elements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Came across this fantastic link for old chemistry past papers. The person who made this has also kindly highlighted questions that we can skip (as they aren't relevant to our spec). Enjoy!

http://www.chemhume.co.uk/A2CHEM/ExamsMSA2/ExamMSA2%20additional.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending