The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cryptokyo
The vector P is parallel to the 2ij 2i-j so it has a general form p(2ij) p (2i-j) where p is a constant.
The vector Q is parallel to the i+3j i+3j so it has a general form q(i+3j) q (i+3j) where q is a constant.

Then when these vectors are added together they are equal to the vector F.

Try it from here.

Solution in spoiler.

Spoiler

Thank you! The amount of marks it carried really put me off :/
Original post by particlestudent
9 marks just for this, what are they doing to us!:angry:

sometimes i find the distribution of marks to be crazy
Original post by KloppOClock
sometimes i find the distribution of marks to be crazy

Exactly!

I've finished that paper now and I honestly didn't think there was much of a difference between that and an ordinary paper... I'll do June 2015 IAL today and I'll probably do the gold papers tomorrow :smile: Hopefully that should be enough
Hi guys, so tomorrow I am going to be doing M1 all day. I've done most of the papers that I can find.

I was going to either do some IAL or Soloman papers tomorrow.
In your opinion, which is best to do in order to work at hard questions.

Alternatively if anyone has any questions that they think are very hard please do send them to me, it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by QuantumStuff
Hi guys, so tomorrow I am going to be doing M1 all day. I've done most of the papers that I can find.

I was going to either do some IAL or Soloman papers tomorrow.
In your opinion, which is best to do in order to work at hard questions.

Alternatively if anyone has any questions that they think are very hard please do send them to me, it would be much appreciated :smile:

Have you done all of the papers from 2001 onwards? The specification for M1 hasn't changed since then.
Original post by IAROX15
I read an examiners report and they penalise you for answers which are 'too precise'??!?

Original post by philo-jitsu
Really!?...well thats comforting....i always use 9.81 for gravity because thats what we use for ohysics....defo could lose some points for that

I suggest that you read the front of a paper, e.g. this one (although it's an IAL paper, this year's ordinary papers have the same front page):
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/WME01_01_que_20150603.pdf

Note that if 9.8 is used, you should not give a fraction as an answer, since that is exact.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Have you done all of the papers from 2001 onwards? The specification for M1 hasn't changed since then.

I've done from 2009, as that is where the new longer questions were introduced
Reply 567
Hi do you know if there are mark schemes for the bronze, silver and gold M1 papers? I can't seem to find them anywhere :\
Original post by Tim73
Hi do you know if there are mark schemes for the bronze, silver and gold M1 papers? I can't seem to find them anywhere :\

Aren't they in the same document as the paper themselves, just further down on lower pages?
I've done from 2009, as that is where the new longer questions were introduced

????

How long is long? Are questions worth 13 marks out of 75 long? If so, look at the last 2 questions from this paper from June 2005.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/13_M1_June_2005.pdf

Maths was not changed in 2008 like everything else, so the longer questions that were introduced in most subjects after 2009 when the A* came in don't apply to Maths.

In recent M1 papers, questions from the early 2000s have been recycled, so these papers are worth doing.
Reply 570
Original post by Zacken
Aren't they in the same document as the paper themselves, just further down on lower pages?

They don't seem to be unless I'm being stupid
M1 Edexcel Bronze-Silver-Gold Papers - Physics & Maths Tutor - Google Chrome 2016-06-06 22.36.13.png
Original post by tiny hobbit
????

How long is long? Are questions worth 13 marks out of 75 long? If so, look at the last 2 questions from this paper from June 2005.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/13_M1_June_2005.pdf

Maths was not changed in 2008 like everything else, so the longer questions that were introduced in most subjects after 2009 when the A* came in don't apply to Maths.

In recent M1 papers, questions from the early 2000s have been recycled, so these papers are worth doing.

I won't have time to do loads, so which papers would be worth doing from 2000's - top 3/4??
Original post by Tim73
They don't seem to be unless I'm being stupid
M1 Edexcel Bronze-Silver-Gold Papers - Physics & Maths Tutor - Google Chrome 2016-06-06 22.36.13.png

I mean open the PDF and scroll to the bottom. The first half will be the questions and the second half will be the markscheme.
I won't have time to do loads, so which papers would be worth doing from 2000's - top 3/4??

I suggest that you flick through them looking for any questions that seem unusual.
Reply 574
Original post by Zacken
I mean open the PDF and scroll to the bottom. The first half will be the questions and the second half will be the markscheme.

Oh right I didn't realise that thanks! :smile:
Original post by Cryptokyo
The vector P is parallel to the 2ij 2i-j so it has a general form p(2ij) p (2i-j) where p is a constant.
The vector Q is parallel to the i+3j i+3j so it has a general form q(i+3j) q (i+3j) where q is a constant.

Then when these vectors are added together they are equal to the vector F.

Try it from here.

Solution in spoiler.

Spoiler

Your method makes a lot more sense than what I did. I mean, I got the right answers but I went about it in a different (and probably unnecessarily long) way:

P + Q = F

so I let P = (ai + bj)
Q = (ci + dj)

Then I said k(ai + bj) = (2i-j)
(aki + bkj) = (2i-j)
ak = 2 --> k = 2/a
bk = -1 ---> k = -1/b

2/a = -1/b ---> 2b + a = 0

Then I said y(ci + dj) = (i + 3j)
cy = 1 ---> y = 1/c
dy = 3 ---> y = 3/d
1/c = 3/d ------> 3c - d = 0 (1)

Then...

From P + Q = F,

(ai + bj) + (ci + dj) = (9i + 13j)
(a + c)i = 9i -----> a = 9 - c.
(b + d)j = 13 ------> b = 13 - d.

Subbing a and b into 2b + a = 0 ---> 2(13-d) + (9-c) = 0 ---> c + 2d = 35 (2)

I then solved 1 & 2 simultaneously to get c = 5, d = 15 ---> Q = (5i + 15j)

Then to work out P I said (ai + bj) = (9i + 13j) - (5i + 15j)
(ai + bj) = (4i -2j) --> a = 4, b = -2.

Giving the answers P = (4i - 2j), Q = (5i + 15j).

NOW, I know this method is absolutely stupid and pointlessly long, but would I still get the marks??
Original post by Don Pedro K.

NOW, I know this method is absolutely stupid and pointlessly long, but would I still get the marks??

Yes.
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Awesome, fanks :biggrin:
Original post by Tim73
Oh right I didn't realise that thanks! :smile:

No problem. :smile:
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Awesome, fanks :biggrin:

:hat2:

Quick Reply