The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse English Language B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meme12
what is the mark for it to get grade C

It should be 58-61 points, it depends on the paper.
Exam in 4 days! In section B at the top, I've noticed that it always says;
"Use ideas from BOTH text one and two in the extracts book to answer this question"
Does this mean you have to write an answer relating to the text? Or can it be based on something completely different and you just the text to help you with language/ideas etc? For example, here on one of the past papers I've wrote a letter to a friend about a big reunion we had. Text one and two was about 2 people meeting there fathers. Any help would be appreciated.
i think you have to mix between both but take some ideas from text, is this specification B
Original post by Jakegil
Exam in 4 days! In section B at the top, I've noticed that it always says;
"Use ideas from BOTH text one and two in the extracts book to answer this question"
Does this mean you have to write an answer relating to the text? Or can it be based on something completely different and you just the text to help you with language/ideas etc? For example, here on one of the past papers I've wrote a letter to a friend about a big reunion we had. Text one and two was about 2 people meeting there fathers. Any help would be appreciated.

That's Jan 2013 I guess. :P
Well, the three bullet points that are given are the main things that you should include. Read the texts and see how the three bullet points are relating, and try to include them in the passage somehow. For example, in the text the girl initially thought the he was his father but later she was in denial because of the demanding behaviour. So you can include in the letter that some long lost uncle who never contacted for years showed up, everyone got surprised etc etc and at the end, everybody was in doubt whether he was the real uncle or not.
I wrote a letter about meeting my cousin in a party who I never met before,
Thank you for the useful feedback guys. So the main thing to concentrate on is the three bullet points but keep it relative to the text.

Can you use examples from the text in section B?
I'm doing a mock at the moment (Jan 2014) Section B is creating an article about people who survive in extreme circumstances. At the beginning I've used the name and example of the person in text one, is this allowed or should I not use names and examples.
I think you can but not more than 2 lines so it doesn't look like you are copying the text.
I hope the section B will be easy...
I find comparing two texts confusing
Thanks meme12. Why does this exam have such limited resources online? There are no youtube videos or anything on this exam? Any ideas?

Also anyone have any predictions on what section B will be, I think a letter but i hope it's not formal.
it might be article, why did assume it's a letter.
Because last year was an article and year before was a speech, they might repeat but there hasn't been a letter for past 2 exams now. Just looking through past papers and making a guess, could be anything though
Original post by meme12
I find comparing two texts confusing

I agree with you...
Original post by meme12
it might be article, why did assume it's a letter.

I think speech will come....
I think the speech structure is much similar to article, am I right?
Original post by meme12
I think the speech structure is much similar to article, am I right?

Yes, it is true.
Do not worry guys, we all gonna pass it.
Well I'm ok if it's a letter as long at its informal. I HATE writing formal letters. Looking at previous exams section B always seems to be informal (to a friend, school, college etc) so that makes life a little easier. I'm pretty well prepared for a letter but I'm going to do some speech revision tonight. Getting nervous now...
Original post by Jakegil
Well I'm ok if it's a letter as long at its informal. I HATE writing formal letters. Looking at previous exams section B always seems to be informal (to a friend, school, college etc) so that makes life a little easier. I'm pretty well prepared for a letter but I'm going to do some speech revision tonight. Getting nervous now...

Do not be nervous, we still do not know what will come.

Quick Reply

Latest