The Student Room Group

I've failed my english GCSE 4 Times and I will probably get another D tomorrow.

By failed, I mean getting a D overall.
My school have been rubbish in providing me support and giving me what I need.
Someone I know had the opportunity to improve his coursework and even got a D in the english language exam. I have a low D in my coursework and the past 2 times I have sat the exam I got a C but my coursework has let me down.

I have left school now, I am only going in for my exams. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do now. They have been utter crap, I was thrown a booklet and told to work through it as revision and that doesn't help. I can pass the exam its just my coursework, I would need at least a low B.

Pleaseeee help mee!! I don't need help passing the exam, I just don't know what to do, my head of 6th isn't very approachable.

Thank you :smile:
Ollie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Watch MrBruff's videos on youtube, he explains every question for the language paper and how to achieve top marks.
Reply 2
Original post by Adamtoo
Watch MrBruff's videos on youtube, he explains every question for the language paper and how to achieve top marks.

Thanks for that, I remember doing that once before. I don't think I have the skill to get a B, I just feel the way everything has gone is completely wrong. I had a different attitude towards it when I did my coursework, I didn't think it could bite me in the butt.
Reply 3
Go on some private thing like college and get tutoring and use everything u can get
As said before, Mr Bruff but also Mr Salles Teaches English. The latter is less popular but he marks essays sent in by students and records it, not just getting you used to the mark scheme but giving you ideas to talk about in your essay. Hope this helps, best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by OllieWood
Thanks for that, I remember doing that once before. I don't think I have the skill to get a B, I just feel the way everything has gone is completely wrong. I had a different attitude towards it when I did my coursework, I didn't think it could bite me in the butt.

The paper itself is quite simple as they always ask the same questions for the reading section but difference articles. Therefore when you master the questions and know how to answer them, any article that comes up shouldn't be hard. As for the writing section, usually it will tell you to either write to: inform, describe, persuade, explain and give you the form (letter, article etc). Don't worry too much about it, i'm sure you will do fine. (Y)
Reply 6
Original post by Adamtoo
The paper itself is quite simple as they always ask the same questions for the reading section but difference articles. Therefore when you master the questions and know how to answer them, any article that comes up shouldn't be hard. As for the writing section, usually it will tell you to either write to: inform, describe, persuade, explain and give you the form (letter, article etc). Don't worry too much about it, i'm sure you will do fine. (Y)

Reply 7
Original post by OGGUS
Go on some private thing like college and get tutoring and use everything u can get

Looks like i'm going to have to splash out on something just to get the most basic of jobs. Everyone sees a D and thinks paah he can't pass a simple exam.
Reply 8
Original post by AxSirlotl
As said before, Mr Bruff but also Mr Salles Teaches English. The latter is less popular but he marks essays sent in by students and records it, not just getting you used to the mark scheme but giving you ideas to talk about in your essay. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Thank you :smile: I'll have a look
Do you read much? I mean, it's not gonna do anything now, but I find that people who read regularly get much better grades at English.

What is it about your work that gets you lower marks? Tbh, there's not anything you can do about your coursework now, so you'd just need you get a good grade on the exam, (assuming you're not doing a foundation paper.)

You need to make sure you know exactly what each question is asking from you, and where all the marks are. When I revised for the exam, I just broke down what each question was asking for on a note card, how much time I should pay attention to each question using the amount of marks it was (as timing was always an issue for me) and where the marks are at.

EG.
(I don't actually know the breakdown, so don't take this to heart.)
Q1 Inference- 12 minutes: 4 paragraphs- 4 quotes with language analysis and comparisons.
Q2...

Always make sure to write concisely and in a sophisticated manner and for the reading section make sure to use the PEEL method. (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link) And always relate everything you write to question.

For the writing, I know one of the questions is about being persuasive, so make sure to include butt-loads of persuasive techniques like clusters of three, hyperbole, rhetorical questions, emotive language, facts and statistics, and make try to use "big words" you are comfortable with using, as it makes your writing sound much more refined.

Good Luck :h:
Reply 10
Original post by flyingpanda
Do you read much? I mean, it's not gonna do anything now, but I find that people who read regularly get much better grades at English.

What is it about your work that gets you lower marks? Tbh, there's not anything you can do about your coursework now, so you'd just need you get a good grade on the exam, (assuming you're not doing a foundation paper.)

You need to make sure you know exactly what each question is asking from you, and where all the marks are. When I revised for the exam, I just broke down what each question was asking for on a note card, how much time I should pay attention to each question using the amount of marks it was (as timing was always an issue for me) and where the marks are at.

EG.
(I don't actually know the breakdown, so don't take this to heart.)
Q1 Inference- 12 minutes: 4 paragraphs- 4 quotes with language analysis and comparisons.
Q2...

Always make sure to write concisely and in a sophisticated manner and for the reading section make sure to use the PEEL method. (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link) And always relate everything you write to question.

For the writing, I know one of the questions is about being persuasive, so make sure to include butt-loads of persuasive techniques like clusters of three, hyperbole, rhetorical questions, emotive language, facts and statistics, and make try to use "big words" you are comfortable with using, as it makes your writing sound much more refined.

Good Luck :h:

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:

I was put in set 4 for English after I had some time off from a fever which I wasn't happy about as I was set 2 before. I was only reading when I was motivated to, by getting good grades. Being put down has never really motivated me which sucks as it would be great if it did.

I feel like I have followed what is expected well in the past, the format you have put for each questions looks about right. I got D grades in the foundation paper but C grades in the higher, weird?
Thank you for the tips.
I am good at using long words I love using 'gives connotations of' in stead of 'shows', that's one improvement I've seen.

I am going to try and be a complete boffin tomorrow and smash it, Thank you for the help :P
By failed, I mean getting a D overall.
My school have been rubbish in providing me support and giving me what I need.
Someone I know had the opportunity to improve his coursework and even got a D in the english language exam. I have a low D in my coursework and the past 2 times I have sat the exam I got a C but my coursework has let me down.

I have left school now, I am only going in for my exams. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do now. They have been utter crap, I was thrown a booklet and told to work through it as revision and that doesn't help. I can pass the exam its just my coursework, I would need at least a low B.

Pleaseeee help mee!! I don't need help passing the exam, I just don't know what to do, my head of 6th isn't very approachable.

Ollie

Coursework requires not work over time, so if you have to hand it in tomorrow theres not a lot anyone can say. The nice thing about corusework is you can almost guarantee a reaosnable mark if you put the work in. There is every reason you should have veen able to get a C.

As for tomorrow, then all I cna say is focus and answer the question. Use your time well. You would know what to do if you practice exam papers. If you tell people what exam board it is and the paper code then they might give guidance on technique. If you end up doiung ut agaun then invest in a revision book.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Coursework requires not work over time, so if you have to hand it in tomorrow theres not a lot anyone can say. The nice thing about corusework is you can almost guarantee a reaosnable mark if you put the work in. There is every reason you should have veen able to get a C.

As for tomorrow, then all I cna say is focus and answer the question. Use your time well. You would know what to do if you practice exam papers. If you tell people what exam board it is and the paper code then they might give guidance on technique. If you end up doiung ut agaun then invest in a revision book.

Thank you, I've done everything I can, the coursework hand in was years ago and I wasn't ever given the opportunity to re-do it. my school didn't provide me with any support.
Thanks again :smile:
Thank you, I've done everything I can, the coursework hand in was years ago and I wasn't ever given the opportunity to re-do it. my school didn't provide me with any support.
Thanks again :smile:

That is crazy. If you had a D in your corusework you should have entered yourself to redo it becayse it automatically puts you at a disadvantage. That is crazy.

If you have sat the exam twice already and not got what you needed, then you needed to either use your teachers or find a book to teach yourself what you needed to know. If the school is rubbish then you have to learn to help yourself.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
That is crazy. If you had a D in your corusework you should have entered yourself to redo it becayse it automatically puts you at a disadvantage. That is crazy.

If you have sat the exam twice already and not got what you needed, then you needed to either use your teachers or find a book to teach yourself what you needed to know. If the school is rubbish then you have to learn to help yourself.

Monks Walk School. I hate it, My another student was given the opportunity but I wasn't. It isn't fair but what can I tell an employer? It was my school's fault? It is really hard, I hate how it turned out for me. I am the only person in my school year. The head of 6th has been rubbish too.
Reply 15
Looks like i'm going to have to splash out on something just to get the most basic of jobs. Everyone sees a D and thinks paah he can't pass a simple exam.

A D ain't that bad try doing a Btec level 3 with it. It'll be easy and do a apprenticeship they'll have to hire you then and say that your always willing to learn new things and make yourself very open and reliable then you'll get somewhere in life maybe. Not that your stuck.
Monks Walk School. I hate it, My another student was given the opportunity but I wasn't. It isn't fair but what can I tell an employer? It was my school's fault? It is really hard, I hate how it turned out for me. I am the only person in my school year. The head of 6th has been rubbish too.

You are missing the point. Stop blaming and relying on the school. If they domt wont or cant help then its up to you to help yourself. Go and take it at college or teach yourself. Rnglish is importnat to have so you will really need it anyway. Just try your best tomorrow. Tbh youve had time to improve from last time and its your responsibility to have used it.

Dont forget to answer the question.
Pae your answers so you spend the right amount of time on each question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by OGGUS
A D ain't that bad try doing a Btec level 3 with it. It'll be easy and do a apprenticeship they'll have to hire you then and say that your always willing to learn new things and make yourself very open and reliable then you'll get somewhere in life maybe. Not that your stuck.

Thanks for the advice :smile: Hope to get an apprenticeship with a logistics company like DPD or Yodel.
:smile:
Don't even get me started on this. Im doing it tomorrow and I'm worried I'll fail again. People say "third time lucky" but I hope this saying isn't true because I don't wanna do it again next year. Try doing past papers and watching mr bruff's videos, it's what I'm doing right now and I find it quite helpful
Reply 19
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Don't even get me started on this. Im doing it tomorrow and I'm worried I'll fail again. People say "third time lucky" but I hope this saying isn't true because I don't wanna do it again next year. Try doing past papers and watching mr bruff's videos, it's what I'm doing right now and I find it quite helpful

Yeah, hopefully it goes well for us. It's my second time doing the higher paper. I got D 3 times on the foundation but I got C on the higher. Still didn't pass thoo :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending