The Student Room Group

Road to A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PlayerBB
(...)
Hopefully, it's moving in the right way, I want to ask you, how did you became better in redox and TM questions, I seem to be struggling with them :frown:

It depends on in what a way you are struggling with redox reactions at the moment. What does TM means? I will give you my assistance for that - in chemistry forums. :wink:
Reply 301
Original post by Kallisto
It depends on in what a way you are struggling with redox reactions at the moment. What does TM means? I will give you my assistance for that - in chemistry forums. :wink:

Particularly for cell potentials and half cells and TM is for Transition Metals, sorry for not being that clear haha

Like, I think I am good now with colours, but sometimes I mix with one colour and the other which really pisses me off

Thank you!! I am glad that you're able to help :h:
Reply 302
Chemistry unit 6B is freaking tomorrow :eek:

Don't feel quite prepared yet, ugh :/ Have to revise a couple of things, and I have to push myself to revise them fast because I don't want sleep late (Gotta be focused for tomorrow)

Just solved Chemistry unit 6B January 2016...

The paper was really hard, although I manged to get a good mark but yet this paper made me release I may get much lower tomorrow because like I am gonna be another exam stress and examiners correct differently than me

Okay so I managed to get 60/60 UMS and 37/50 mark

Q.3 WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE, I only got 9/21 So like lost 12 marks in it
Q.2 and Q.4 were super nice, was so pleased with them, just some general knowledge
Q.1 it was kinda confusing but managed to lose 1 mark so I am so pleased with it

I am most scared from tomorrow if they give us a question about electrode potentials then I am screwed so praying it won't come :crossedf:
Also scared about the first question, you don't know what they would give us and I am not that good with colours you know
----

Quite good regardless, Best of luck for the exam tomorrow!

Make sure you revise all the important things before the exam if possible.

The most important thing is then not to Panic during the exam, as that will make you lose marks even in the areas you were quite good in. Just take deep breathes and exhale during the exam and focus on the question.

In A levels you always face unfamilar questions at the first sight, but eventually as you keep on focusing and thinking about it you'll get to the answer. It's normal to take time in understanding questions.

Panic = Jumbled thinking = unable to focus = hurrying during the exam = making silly mistakes = lose marks

It's better that you take your time (but not toooo much!) in understanding the question and then eventually get the correct answer, rather than just writing what you think at first sight it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by SaadKaleem
Quite good regardless, Best of luck for the exam tomorrow!

Make sure you revise all the important things before the exam if possible.

The most important thing is then not to Panic during the exam, as that will make you lose marks even in the areas you were quite good in. Just take deep breathes and exhale during the exam and focus on the question.

In A levels you always face unfamilar questions at the first sight, but eventually as you keep on focusing and thinking about it you'll get to the answer. It's normal to take time in understanding questions.

Panic = Jumbled thinking = unable to focus = hurrying during the exam = making silly mistakes = lose marks

It's better that you take your time (but not toooo much!) in understanding the question and then eventually get the correct answer, rather than just writing what you think at first sight it is.

Heey Saad!

Thank you so much for the tips, they're so beneficial and especially because I always panic and end up hurrying and end up losing worthless marks which sucks :frown:

I wish I have read what you wrote before the today's exam, I was so panicked and terrified and above all of that, the exam came hard and didn't do that well as expected :frown:

The thing is, when an exam is close, what I think of is smashing it but then something draws me which I guess, because of the C that I got in January. I end up losing marks that i should have guaranteed. I really don't know what should I do ugh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heey Saad!

Thank you so much for the tips, they're so beneficial and especially because I always panic and end up hurrying and end up losing worthless marks which sucks :frown:

I wish I have read what you wrote before the today's exam, I was so panicked and terrified and above all of that, the exam came hard and didn't do that well as expected :frown:

The thing is, when an exam is close, what I think of is smashing it but then something draws me which I guess, because of the C that I got in January. I end up losing marks that i should have guaranteed. I really don't know what should I do ugh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tough luck :s-smilie:, Hopefully chemistry 6 grade boundary will compensate for it.

Don't let the C dishearten you, let it motivate you to do much better, infact. Isolate your weaknesses and mistakes that was the cause of you achieving your C and work on them until you're comfortable in those areas. You'll have to identify those areas yourself.

There are still the two big exams left for Chemistry, aim for the highest in those! :top:
Reply 306
Original post by SaadKaleem
Tough luck :s-smilie:, Hopefully chemistry 6 grade boundary will compensate for it.

Don't let the C dishearten you, let it motivate you to do much better, infact. Isolate your weaknesses and mistakes that was the cause of you achieving your C and work on them until you're comfortable in those areas. You'll have to identify those areas yourself.

There are still the two big exams left for Chemistry, aim for the highest in those! :top:

Thank you Saad, you always help!!

Yeah I have to sit with myself and isolate the weekness that made this exam difficult and unit 4 on January because I have no chance to make it up, I have to get those grades or everything I dreamt for will be gone including the sacrifices I made

I have to aim for the highest and hopefully will get the highest!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
Chemistry unit 6B - done

It was a horrible exam, nothing better can describe it to be honest!

Can't precisely say how many marks I have lost but they were many and I didn't calculate them so I won't feel any more demotivated.

Gotta pull it hard for the upcoming exams.

Currently, I am going to decide what made me lose the marks in Chemistry, focus on the topics I don't really understand, Solve as many past papers as I can and keep on revising till the end!!

Let's be positive and hope for the best (Being negative will not benefit me in any way) and as long as I studied hard and did my best in the exam hall, there's nothing else I can do and the good thing is I believe I have revised as much as I can for chemistry 6B, solved as much as I can and did all my best to keep myself focused during the exam, yeah I have made many stupid mistakes but that is a thing to learn from for the upcoming exams is to keep myself NOT PANICKED and hopefully everything will go fine from there

Cheers for being positive :borat:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 308
WOW, it's been a long time since I have posted on here, I actually miss this thread!!

Well, today is the 7th of June, and after a week I'll be having my unit 4 chemistry exam, ugh so stressed, however, I think I am doing better at solving the past papers than in January but I am still facing the time problem, I need to still practice managing my time or I'll face exactly what happened with me in January and I am certainly not looking forward for that!!

I still have SO MUCH past papers to be done, like I can't imagine how I am going to finish them all, along with the past papers of the other units, so that's why I am so freaking busy!!! You probably wonder, you had a whole month man, how you didn't finish
them all by now, well I had to revise unit 4 and unit 5 biology AND chemistry and that certainly took from me ages to get it done!!

Anyway, I will be doing the past papers left for chemistry unit 4 as a preparation for the exam and I'll revise some of the As stuff. I am going to revise my mistakes and the reactions on the day before in addition to doing January 2016 with setting time to see how much would I get exactly under exam conditions!!
x

Know this feeling very well. Time is always an unpleasant pressure during solving the examination tasks. Solving past papers is a good idea insofar to improve a better dealing with time. If you have such a great time problem, I recommend you to keep calm yourself. Stress yourself during examinations is counterproductive.
Reply 310
Know this feeling very well. Time is always an unpleasant pressure during solving the examination tasks. Solving past papers is a good idea insofar to improve a better dealing with time. If you have such a great time problem, I recommend you to keep calm yourself. Stress yourself during examinations is counterproductive.

Thank you Kallisto!! I will surely try my best :h:
Thank you Kallisto!! I will surely try my best :h:

Of course, you will. That is not beyond all the question. Its rather the question whether you are good enough to achieve your ambitious goals.
Reply 312
Of course, you will. That is not beyond all the question. Its rather the question whether you are good enough to achieve your ambitious goals.

Yeah, true that!!
Yeah, true that!!

By the way, are you still heading in the right direction? did you get the required results for that? it ain't over till the fat lady sings. You have still your chances.
Reply 314
By the way, are you still heading in the right direction? did you get the required results for that? it ain't over till the fat lady sings. You have still your chances.

I don't know, hoping I am, I am focusing now on improving my performance in the past papers so I can guarantee what I will be getting on the real exam!!

Yeah it ain't over yet, almost 2 weeks left for me to prove to myself that I did do it!!
I don't know, hoping I am, I am focusing now on improving my performance in the past papers so I can guarantee what I will be getting on the real exam!!

Yeah it ain't over yet, almost 2 weeks left for me to prove to myself that I did do it!!

Two weeks left till the next exam? keep calm. Don't be afraid, don't be anxious about the coming exam. Just do it. Keep calm in exam. Don't lose your head, that is the worst what may happen. Even if you have problems with time, losing your head in exams leads to an increase time problem.
Reply 316
Two weeks left till the next exam? keep calm. Don't be afraid, don't be anxious about the coming exam. Just do it. Keep calm in exam. Don't lose your head, that is the worst what may happen. Even if you have problems with time, losing your head in exams leads to an increase time problem.

No 6 days till the next exam but 2 weeks till the last one. And yeah, I have a problem with remaining calm like if I am having a time problem, I start getting anxious and rushing through everything to finish on time which makes me lose silly marks because i wasn't focused :/ , do you any tip about that like how can I practice to stay calm ?
No 6 days till the next exam but 2 weeks till the last one. And yeah, I have a problem with remaining calm like if I am having a time problem, I start getting anxious and rushing through everything to finish on time which makes me lose silly marks because i wasn't focused :/ , do you any tip about that like how can I practice to stay calm ?

It was helpful not having such ambitious goals like you. The main point was always to pass the exams (as good as it is possible). But as you have such ambitious goals, here are another tips which may helpful for you too (just to speak for myself, it was)

- eat a drop of glucose before the exam starts.
- take a break for some minutes in exams by don't writing something down (to refresh your nerves).
- If it is possible: leave the room now and then for 10 up to 15 minutes just to get a clear mind again.
Reply 318
It was helpful not having such ambitious goals like you. The main point was always to pass the exams (as good as it is possible). But as you have such ambitious goals, here are another tips which may helpful for you too (just to speak for myself, it was)

- eat a drop of glucose before the exam starts.
- take a break for some minutes in exams by don't writing something down (to refresh your nerves).
- If it is possible: leave the room now and then for 10 up to 15 minutes just to get a clear mind again.

Thank you!! Looking forward to applying them!! :h:
Reply 319
Unit 4 Chemistry is done

Felt that the paper was a bit hard, I am soooo glad that I finished on time!!! My handrwitting was a little bad but hope it is clear enough!!

Biology unit 4 on Thursday

Ugh, don't know how I am going to finish all the past papers and the revision that I have!! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending