The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezme39
Feeling down pretty much all the time. Feel like there's no chance of me passing this year- and every time I start to worry about it, I get at least half an hour of increased heart rate and shaking :/ had a good laugh with my friend this evening though, for the first time in what feels like ages

Aww no! I hope you start feeling happier soon!
You will pass this year with flying colours! I can guarantee that! You've put in so much work towards this and it wil, pay off!
That sounds awful! No one should have to go through that!
That's positive then! I'm glad to hear that!
I'm always free for a chat if you want someone to talk to :smile:
@Ezme39 That was me^^^
I forgot about the auto anon.
Original post by drbluebox
Ok I want some opinions here, for past few weeks have been feeling a little different so much so I hardly ever have tv on, in some ways better in other ways worse.

Or I could say what I feel is like a reasonable (so not good or bad) evening

Without the tv on I am less distracted but I am also less stimulated/fulfilled as part of why I feel so bad is I do nothing and so in a room with silence and just a pc on is numbing but also makes me concentrate on it more.

Not sure what to think so advice welcome.

Have you tried putting music on for background noise? I often find a tv too distracting but a bit of music makes me feel less alone when I'm home alone.
Original post by Sabertooth
X

If I remember correctly you started you summer class today? Forgive me if I'm wrong and if you don't want to answer it's fine, but how was it? Hope it went wel! :hugs:

--

Can't sleep. Been trying for several hours. This would be the point where I give up but I have a driving lesson tomorrow afternoon. I'm so fed up of how my sleep pattern has been recently... :cry:
Have you tried putting music on for background noise? I often find a tv too distracting but a bit of music makes me feel less alone when I'm home alone.

Music makes me want to sleep no matter if its heavy or easy listening I need visual and audio stimulation.

TV I assume as I have to keep turning my head to watch it and if its a movie I need to be aware to know plot changes.
Got partnered with such a tosser in lab. She hadn't done any of the reading and was more interested in talking to her friend on another table than working through the material we were meant to be doing. God knows why she didn't partner with her friend. :grumble: So now I'm stuck with her for the next 4 weeks - 4 days a week 3.5 hours a day in lab. I really want to do well in this class so I'm gonna have to put in way more work because of her.

In other news, the voices were relatively quiet most of today I think I followed most of the lecture alright. I'm attempting to read a whole chapter before my class tomorrow and it's getting really hard to concentrate, I have to put this annoyance behind me and concentrate on the work but there's so much to do and this is only the first day of the course!
Original post by Midnightmemories
If I remember correctly you started you summer class today? Forgive me if I'm wrong and if you don't want to answer it's fine, but how was it? Hope it went wel! :hugs:

--

Can't sleep. Been trying for several hours. This would be the point where I give up but I have a driving lesson tomorrow afternoon. I'm so fed up of how my sleep pattern has been recently... :cry:

Yep, I did. Aside from a lazy lab partner it actually went pretty well. :smile: There is so much work though - it's a whole 15 week semester condensed into 4 weeks. :afraid:

Have you tried any drugs for getting to sleep? You may have already answered this before... :colondollar:
Music makes me want to sleep no matter if its heavy or easy listening I need visual and audio stimulation.

TV I assume as I have to keep turning my head to watch it and if its a movie I need to be aware to know plot changes.

Music videos?

I recently found out that if I youtube my favorite bands I can find acoustic or live versions of their songs and it's really awesome to see that side of them sometimes it sounds so different.

If not, what's the problem with having the tv on? If it makes you feel better it seems to make sense to do it.
Music videos?

I recently found out that if I youtube my favorite bands I can find acoustic or live versions of their songs and it's really awesome to see that side of them sometimes it sounds so different.

If not, what's the problem with having the tv on? If it makes you feel better it seems to make sense to do it.

TV on makes me lose track of time, and just keep my concentration just enough that I don't want to move but don't enjoy it, tv off means I have nothing to focus on so can go to bed easier which is a bonus but makes me feel that I haven't done anything all day.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I was supposed to be going for the group meeting but it was during one of my lectures and I can't take time out.

Also I'm not comfortable meeting others in a group, I'm still in denial about having panic attacks (I only have the physical symptoms) and I'm not ready to speak out about stuff yet.

It's weird, I don't have anxious thoughts, I'm the most chilled out person you'd ever see yet I have chest pain and breathlessness and dizziness out of the blue. I don't even know what brings them on, which makes it worse.

Ah I see. Tbh I don't think I learned anything from it and I've no idea what the next step will be!

No me neither. Ah well maybe they're only mild panic attacks?
It's always best to be comfortable before making any decisions! Don't do anything too soon as it may make your condition worse I'm afraid.

Hmm that's interesting. I haven't a clue as to what's causing that tbh. Unless it's stress, that's the main cause of all of this. I experienced chest pains during my GCSE's because of stress. It was really scary (esp when it happened in the middle of an exam).
But if you're not under stress, I honestly don't know what's causing it tbh.
Yep, I did. Aside from a lazy lab partner it actually went pretty well. :smile: There is so much work though - it's a whole 15 week semester condensed into 4 weeks. :afraid:

Have you tried any drugs for getting to sleep? You may have already answered this before... :colondollar:

You can do it! :console: it may get very tough, just know you're only with her for 4 weeks. At least it isn't 15 or whatever it is? :blush:

GP won't prescribe me sleeping pills as she thinks they're pointless as they don't deal with the root of the issue and I'll just get addicted to them. I suppose that because of my age as well she doesn't want me to be addicted to drugs when I'm already on quite high pain killers which doesn't help the situation.
TV on makes me lose track of time, and just keep my concentration just enough that I don't want to move but don't enjoy it, tv off means I have nothing to focus on so can go to bed easier which is a bonus but makes me feel that I haven't done anything all day.

Have you considered doing like an online course in something that interests you? I've forgotten the site name but many universities offer online courses in really varied subjects and you often get certification at the end of it. It might make you feel like you're actually doing something with your time. Another thing might be to volunteer somewhere if you're out of work - it would look good on your CV.
Original post by Midnightmemories
You can do it! :console: it may get very tough, just know you're only with her for 4 weeks. At least it isn't 15 or whatever it is? :blush:

GP won't prescribe me sleeping pills as she thinks they're pointless as they don't deal with the root of the issue and I'll just get addicted to them. I suppose that because of my age as well she doesn't want me to be addicted to drugs when I'm already on quite high pain killers which doesn't help the situation.

Problem is that I'm with her for lab which is 3 and a half hours a day :tongue: I finished the chapter and feel prepared for tomorrow - I've decided I'm going to rely on my partner as little as possible, I'll watch her fail, sounds cruel but I really hate when people let the side down. I did badly in today's test as I was trying to engage her with the material for most of the class, **** that tomorrow :colone:.

Obviously I'm not a doctor but I think sleeping pills have their place. I don't know what I'd do without (I'm not an addict.....really!). Just like if there's something important the next day it's nice to know that you'll get a good night's sleep and can stop stressing about things, but yeah, if your doctor refuses I guess there's not much you can do about it. I found that doctors in the US tend to be a lot more trusting (some might say reckless :tongue: ) when it comes to this kind of thing - I got a 6 month supply of eszopiclone from a previous psychiatrist, god only knows what I could do with that :/ whereas in the UK I'd be lucky to get 7 pills.

Noticed you're offline: hope you got to sleep! :smile:
Still feeling very down today idk why. Maybe because I'm still worn out - I didn't get to sleep Sunday onto Monday, even though I went to sleep early yesterday. Don't know just not feeling too great.

Obviously I'm not a doctor but I think sleeping pills have their place. I don't know what I'd do without (I'm not an addict.....really!). Just like if there's something important the next day it's nice to know that you'll get a good night's sleep and can stop stressing about things, but yeah, if your doctor refuses I guess there's not much you can do about it. I found that doctors in the US tend to be a lot more trusting (some might say reckless :tongue: ) when it comes to this kind of thing - I got a 6 month supply of eszopiclone from a previous psychiatrist, god only knows what I could do with that :/ whereas in the UK I'd be lucky to get 7 pills.

The US is crazy. They prescribe meth to little kids with ADHD. They've started marketing chewable flavoured amphetamines now. I kind of wish I lived there :colone:

I'd like to try sleeping pills, I've been sleeping 1-3 hours a night since starting my new meds, except for the days when I go to bed after being up for a few hours. Ugh I don't know whether I should get up or keep trying to sleep again, I've been lying awake since 3am :s-smilie:
Original post by FireFreezer77
@Ezme39 That was me^^^
I forgot about the auto anon.

Thank you <3 I wish I had your positivity haha :smile: just hoping that things will get better once the pressure of exams is off; I just feel completely trapped by it all rn

How are you doing?
Got the docs at 3pm today to discuss my therapist and to get another fit note for ESA. Absolutely dreading it. I'm going to a foundation GP since my usual GP is off ill. Last time I went to a foundation GP, it went well and they were the one who referred me urgently for therapy. Its not the same doc I'm going to today but hopefully they will be just as nice and effective. I'm more nervous about asking for my sick line than talking about the therapist. I always feel like a fraud when I talk about my MH in front of doctors because of bad experiences in the past that a lot of you know about.

--------

First day of cat sitting at my mum's is over and OCD and panic wise, it was OK. It was BDD that took over. I tried to control it but for hours I took pics, stood in front of the mirror, asked Callan constantly about my hair and I felt awful. Callan came over for about 5 hrs yesterday to visit me at my mum's and I only spent about an hour with him, the rest of the time was took over by BDD and even more so once he left. I hate when people see BDD as nothing more than vanity, its the polar opposite.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanL_

I'd like to try sleeping pills, I've been sleeping 1-3 hours a night since starting my new meds, except for the days when I go to bed after being up for a few hours. Ugh I don't know whether I should get up or keep trying to sleep again, I've been lying awake since 3am :s-smilie:

Does it make any difference when you take your medication? I take something which if I take it at night, it gives me insomnia. If I take it during the day, I usually need a nap. :s-smilie: How annoying.

Have you tried (although, they are pretty ****) over the counter stuff?
My hands keep shaking every time I think about my further maths exams and I can't make them stop. I used to think I was above all the physical manifestations of anxiousness (not anxiety), and it's been a humbling experience
Original post by Tiger Rag
Does it make any difference when you take your medication? I take something which if I take it at night, it gives me insomnia. If I take it during the day, I usually need a nap. :s-smilie: How annoying.

Have you tried (although, they are pretty ****) over the counter stuff?

I'm actually not sure. I have to take it twice a day so I can't really change when I take it. Although I think last night I didn't take it before going to bed, but I still woke up after about an hour of sleep :s-smilie:

Is there anything OTC you could recommend? I don't know of anything but I'd give it a try. It'll take weeks to get a GP appointment anyway :colonhash:

Latest